Carine Roitfeld steps down as French Vogue editor after ten years

Nat

Feb 8, 2007
Carine Roitfeld steps down as French Vogue editor after ten years

Last updated at 12:00 PM on 17th December 2010

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-French-Vogue-editor-years.html#ixzz18MzF1dCh

She has often been hailed as the most talented editor in the fashion magazine industry. But after ten years, Carine Roitfeld has resigned from her position at Vogue Paris. The editor, 55, will be leaving in January after ten years at the fashion magazine to pursue personal projects.

Conde Nast, Vogue's publisher, will announce her replacement in the coming weeks. Jonathan Newhouse, CEO of Conde Nast said: 'It is impossible to overstate Carine's powerful contribution to Vogue and to the fields of fashion and magazine publishing. 'Under her direction, Vogue Paris received record levels of circulation and advertising and editorial success. ' Vogue Paris has established itself as one of the most iconic magazines in the world, with huge influence in the field of fashion and photography.'

he French former model was scouted in the streets aged just 18 by a photographer's assistant in Paris. She then worked her way as a writer and stylist for Elle magazine. Roitfeld went on to work as a consultant and muse for Tom Ford at Gucci and Yves Saint-Laurent for six years before being approached by Conde Nast to edit Vogue in 2001.

It is rather fitting then, that her final issue would be edited by Ford. The risqué issue featured images of plus-size model Crystal Renn in bandages, highlighting the rise in cosmetic surgery. Carine is the only one of her counterparts - Winter in the U.S and Alexandra Shulman in London included - to come from a non-journalistic background. As a result, her interest remains predominately fashion-related, using mainly models for her covers rather than celebrities, and never shying away from controversy.

She said in an interview with The Guardian: 'I like to have something every month that is - how you say? - not politically correct. 'A little bit at the limit. Sex, nudity, a bit rock'n'roll, a sense of humour. That is very French Vogue.'

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• article-1339464-0C84CE42000005DC-722_468x605.jpg
    article-1339464-0C84CE42000005DC-722_468x605.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 337
  • article-1339464-0673DB25000005DC-245_148x487.jpg
    article-1339464-0673DB25000005DC-245_148x487.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 265
Wow. I :heart: French Vogue.

I agree with what the article said that it's fitting she ended her era with a Tom Ford spread. I love me some Tom Ford, too, and that issue was chock full o' Tom Ford. There was also the spread (in the Tom Ford issue) with an older couple making out, and I thought, "Only in French Vogue..."

Didn't see that coming either. I was shocked when I found out. I'm sure Emmanuelle will do a great job but Carine will definitely be missed.