Carefree large tote: Neverfull MM in DA, or Saint Laurent Shopping tote in anthracite?

Breadnbrie

Jun 11, 2016
I'm in the market for a medium-large, open-top, carefree tote that I intend to use for work, weekend, and for future baby stuff when the time comes.

I want a neutral, so either dark grey (still missing from my collection) or a canvas piece.

The 2 I'm considering:

1) neverfull in DA. I already have 2 DE bags, and one mono, so I want to switch things up. I haven't ruled out epi, but I wasn't really wowed by it when I tried it on in purple.

Does anyone use the NF DA as a baby/mom bag? Am I nuts for considering it for this purpose? I'm not one to baby my canvas bags, and I don't mind patina. In fact, my speedy B has some watermarks from an accidental spray with water, and it doesn't bother me at all. All I care about is that any color transfer would be easily wiped off. I do like how NF are tried and true and durable.

2) st laurent shopping tote in dark anthracite. I like that this bag is in the elusive dark grey I'm missing, and that it's not quite as ubiquitous as the NF. I saw some reviews of how the inside scratches more easily, but I care more about the outside's durability. I do hesitate because this is a newer bag, and I don't have much info on use of the bag for casual/mom purposes; most I've seen tend to use it as a work tote.
IMG_6719.PNG
Thoughts?

I would go for the Saint Laurent tote for the purpose you want it for. DA is beautiful, but I wouldn't necessarily call it carefree, especially if you intend on using it to tote around things for your future little one - which big congrats btw!

However, if you really love the DA NF and are open to potential color transfer and don't mind the light-colored interior, then I say get what makes you happy and just enjoy it! Aesthetic wise, I do think that the DA NF is prettier. But carefree wise, the SL dark grey tote gets my vote.

I am going to be blunt: I would not spend 1K on this Saint Laurent bag. There is nothing special about it apart from the brand name. If it did not say SAINT LAURENT, I would think it's from Target. (I do like the color thought!)
On the other hand, I would probably not recommend the NF DA as a baby bag. I don't think Damier Azur can be considered "carefree."

I am going to be blunt: I would not spend 1K on this Saint Laurent bag. There is nothing special about it apart from the brand name. If it did not say SAINT LAURENT, I would think it's from Target. (I do like the color thought!)
On the other hand, I would probably not recommend the NF DA as a baby bag. I don't think Damier Azur can be considered "carefree."

I agree - nothing special at all about the Saint Laurent option. It is very plain and boring in my opinion.

If you can accept that the NF eventually won't be pristine, then get that one.

I'm in the market for a medium-large, open-top, carefree tote that I intend to use for work, weekend, and for future baby stuff when the time comes.

I want a neutral, so either dark grey (still missing from my collection) or a canvas piece.

The 2 I'm considering:

1) neverfull in DA. I already have 2 DE bags, and one mono, so I want to switch things up. I haven't ruled out epi, but I wasn't really wowed by it when I tried it on in purple.

Does anyone use the NF DA as a baby/mom bag? Am I nuts for considering it for this purpose? I'm not one to baby my canvas bags, and I don't mind patina. In fact, my speedy B has some watermarks from an accidental spray with water, and it doesn't bother me at all. All I care about is that any color transfer would be easily wiped off. I do like how NF are tried and true and durable.

2) st laurent shopping tote in dark anthracite. I like that this bag is in the elusive dark grey I'm missing, and that it's not quite as ubiquitous as the NF. I saw some reviews of how the inside scratches more easily, but I care more about the outside's durability. I do hesitate because this is a newer bag, and I don't have much info on use of the bag for casual/mom purposes; most I've seen tend to use it as a work tote.
View attachment 3570673
Thoughts?
Since it sounds like you don't get too stressed about your bags showing some signs use, I would recommend that you get the DA neverfull. I have a DA neverfull that I used all last summer (with minimal babying involved), and I've had zero issues with color transfer. It's a lovely bag that you can only get from LV. I agree with the others who commented that the YSL tote looks like something that you could buy anywhere. I think the YSL tote works best in a pop color like red, yellow, or cobalt blue. Because the design is so simple, it ends up looking a bit boring in the dark gray.

The neverfull in DA is simply gorgeous. I have it with the rose ballerina interior and have been using it nonstop, every single day, for the last year or so. I use it for everything, including stuffing my school stuff into it. I don't baby it but at the same time, I am mindful of it. I don't know if that makes sense. Anyways, I am very OCD about having everything look nice and new. My neverfull doesn't even look like it's been used.

I think the saint laurent tote is worth it - it's entirely leather. The neverfull is at a higher price point...

I would go for the neverfull for your baby purposes though, canvas will be wiped off easily and it's scratch proof.

Reactions: Breadnbrie
I like the Neverfull much more. I really don't think DA is as bad as everyone thinks it is. I have a DA Neverfull that has never gotten color transfer on it. If you're someone who's going to be examining their bag after each use, then I wouldn't recommend it for daily use, but it sounds like you're a little more relaxed than that. I worry more about the vachetta than the canvas on it.

The Saint Laurent looks nice in that color but I wouldn't pay that amount for it. I'm not sure but I can see it scratching easily and not wearing well. I have several DA bags including a NF MM. I absolutely love DA but you have to think about what you're wearing with it to avoid color transfer..not something you want to have to do with a baby bag. Honestly DE or Mono are better for this purpose.

I would go for the Saint Laurent tote for the purpose you want it for. DA is beautiful, but I wouldn't necessarily call it carefree, especially if you intend on using it to tote around things for your future little one - which big congrats btw!.
Thanks! No congrats in order yet hehe, just thinking ahead! :smile:
I have a DA neverfull that I used all last summer (with minimal babying involved), and I've had zero issues with color transfer.

The neverfull in DA is simply gorgeous. I have it with the rose ballerina interior and have been using it nonstop, every single day, for the last year or so. I use it for everything, including stuffing my school stuff into it. I don't baby it but at the same time, I am mindful of it. I don't know if that makes sense. Anyways, I am very OCD about having everything look nice and new. My neverfull doesn't even look like it's been used.

I appreciate feedback from people who already have the NF DA, so thank you! I love how practical it is, and especially like the RB interior. The DA is just so summery to me and works well living in Southern California. Do you have any recommendations for sprays lotions etc to protect the vachetta? I'm not super OCD about vachetta, but would like any tips to help preserve its beauty.

Also, can I ask if you guys regularly wear dark colored clothing? I wear a lot of black/grey cardigan sweaters and black pants leggings, and jeans; not so much dark denim. I hear that denim is usuall the main culprit for color transfer; is that correct?

Also, can color transfer be wiped away with a cloth or baby wipe?

The Saint Laurent looks nice in that color but I wouldn't pay that amount for it. I'm not sure but I can see it scratching easily and not wearing well. I have several DA bags including a NF MM. I absolutely love DA but you have to think about what you're wearing with it to avoid color transfer..not something you want to have to do with a baby bag. Honestly DE or Mono are better for this purpose.

Yeah I feared the scratching issue. I think the NF will wear better. I love the DE And mono, but since I've got those prints already, I'm being rather stubborn about the DA lol. Maybe if I find an epi color that I really love, I might change my mind about it. We will see.

Reactions: juicygirl82
Love your poll threads! So I have a Mono Neverfull and have owned the YSL tote at least three times...and sold/returned it three times! I kept finding it on sale and thinking I would love it...black twice and navy once. Things I didn't love: magnetic closure doesnt stay put AT ALL, no pockets inside the bag, attached pouch is fairly small/tight, corner wear was becoming evident fairly quickly. I loved the concept and price(s) I paid...usually $600/$700 but it never felt special! On the other hand, my NF is my OLDEST bag in my closet. I've had it 4/5 years and it has held up fantastically. Love that its lightweight, has a pocket, and will NEVER go out of style. It's just a handy, must have! That's all I got today!

I personally wouldn't use either of these bags as a baby bag but I do know people who have use their NF for this purpose and thought it was great. The NF GM in DA was my first LV 4 years ago and it still looks great (no color transfer and vachetta has no water spots). I've used it for travel and it's been pretty beaten up. You would be surprised at how well this bag wears. 2 of my coworkers have the SL tote and they swear by it. They say it's a great, durable bag. I'm really liking the color too. Not sure if you have a SL outlet near you but they some times have pretty good sales. Good luck with your decision.

I'm sure the quality is there but for the price YSL is asking I would personally expect something more in terms of design - at least the NF has it's distinguishing side draw-cords that allow one to change the size of the tote. If you're not sold on the NF then there are several other brands such as Prada, even Coach, that make some great totes would fit the bill in terms of practicality, quality, colour, etc.