Workplace Career Change (A complete 180)

amymaria

housecat
Jan 16, 2009
Currently I work in the business development field of a an engineering firm. Everything is very corporate and structured and the field I specialize in doesn't require much creative thought. It's a competitive environment business-wise but there is no inspiration for creativity and while I had a good time learning the business/industry, I felt like I really needed creativity in order to enjoy my job long-term. Another factor was that I didn't particularly enjoy working for a large corporation and having to abide to someone's judgement of how much I can make or how much I am worth salary wise.

So I am quitting. It's a huge risk for me. I am leaving a career.

AND I am going to makeup artistry school.
It's a private college/academy and well recognized. Very pricey so it's not something I take lightly.

I am scared - but at the same time very excited at the thought of being able to work in and industry I have great interest in and will never bore of. I've done my research a million times over and I am sure this is what I want to be doing.

In the future, I hope to run my own business as well because I do believe I am actually "good" at business...and I am very business-minded as a person.

Anyone else done a complete 180 in their career? If so, what did you end up doing and were you happy with it!? Any regrets?

Good for you!

I graduated with an undergraduate degree in marketing and went into sales right out of college. Well, I hated it completely and ended up doing insurance claims (BORING). So I decided to go to grad school and get my MBA in Accounting, because I like numbers and spreadsheets and math and all that.

Long story short, after doing insurance claims for a few years and hating it, I'm starting a new job as an auditor in two weeks! I'm excited (and nervous) but so glad I'm making the career change.

oh i missed this thread....

i think if you are going to do something you love, it's great. congrats on your new career!!
even though i am doing something i like (not exactly love) i still find it boring/exhausting sometime. i also am thinking of change of career but i want to get my professional license before i leave my industry. i want to go into fashion...still debating if i want it or not.

I've never done a complete 180, but I wanted to say congrats to you! It's really brave to leave a safe environment and go out and do something completely different to make yourself happy. I truly think that's awesome & wish you the best :smile:

OP, I think I remember you posting about thinking about doing this. And...you're gonna DO IT!! Congrats!!

Not really doing a 180 right now, BUT I am trying something new. I'm currently unemployed as my work contract wrapped up a month ago. While looking for a new job, I'm going to start working part time pro bono (meaning, unpaid) for a friend of mine who is starting up a consulting business. I've known him and worked with him almost 10 years so we already know eachother on good days and bad days and have the essential trust/rapport. I'm really impressed with what he's put together so far and how strong his pipeline is (and thoroughly vetted too!). So, this is a new direction for me while I find something to pay the mortgage/food/bags/shoes expenses, LOL!

Congrats to you, OP!!