Care for cashmere

Yes I have washed mine. You have to wash them carefully. Do not use hot water or too much soap, do not rub or handle roughly. Rinse carefully, press water out with hands, and blot to dry with a clean towel then dry flat. I have never had a problem. I think they actually turn out fluffier and nicer smelling if you wash them.

Yes I have washed mine. You have to wash them carefully. Do not use hot water or too much soap, do not rub or handle roughly. Rinse carefully, press water out with hands, and blot to dry with a clean towel then dry flat. I have never had a problem. I think they actually turn out fluffier and nicer smelling if you wash them.

Thank you so much for letting me know you have had a success hand washing your cashmere sweaters. I can't wait to see how my sweaters come out. Thanks again.

I have. I use woolite fabric wash and cold water. I fill my bathroom sink and add the soap then swirl. I add the sweater and leave it to soak for about 15 mins. I come back work on the armpits a bit them drain the water. I fill the sink again with cold and add fabric softener and let it soak just a couple mins. I drain it and squeeze out extra water them lay it to dry on a towel. I reshape it a little and leave it alone.

I have a sweater that I'm over that recently I put in my washer on hand wash. I have whirlpool front loaders. I used woolite and softener and it came out just fine. I definitely agree that washing yourself makes the sweaters much more fluffy and less flat. If you like your sweaters crisp then you may not like how fluffy they get.

I wash my cashmere sweaters in the washing machine all the time. I use the most gentle setting (silk on my machine) and set the temperature to cold and turn the spin off. When they're done, I'll turn the dial to spin and turn it on the most gentle spin and let them go around a few times and then stop it just so they're not soaking wet. Then I'll take them out and stretch a bit to the shape I want and then lay flat to dry on a drying rack (inside out). And I use gentle liquid soap. I've never had any problems doing this.

And I agree with Toria, they come out better than if they were dry cleaned. They are softer and fluffier. Also you have a bit of give, so if you think a sweater is too short etc you can stretch it out to what you want! It's great.

So you shouldn't have any problems, good luck!

I wash my cashmere sweaters in the washing machine all the time. I use the most gentle setting (silk on my machine) and set the temperature to cold and turn the spin off. When they're done, I'll turn the dial to spin and turn it on the most gentle spin and let them go around a few times and then stop it just so they're not soaking wet. Then I'll take them out and stretch a bit to the shape I want and then lay flat to dry on a drying rack (inside out). And I use gentle liquid soap. I've never had any problems doing this.

And I agree with Toria, they come out better than if they were dry cleaned. They are softer and fluffier. Also you have a bit of give, so if you think a sweater is too short etc you can stretch it out to what you want! It's great.

So you shouldn't have any problems, good luck!

Thank you so much!! This is great advice. I love this forum, because you can learn so much.

I have. I use woolite fabric wash and cold water. I fill my bathroom sink and add the soap then swirl. I add the sweater and leave it to soak for about 15 mins. I come back work on the armpits a bit them drain the water. I fill the sink again with cold and add fabric softener and let it soak just a couple mins. I drain it and squeeze out extra water them lay it to dry on a towel. I reshape it a little and leave it alone.

I have a sweater that I'm over that recently I put in my washer on hand wash. I have whirlpool front loaders. I used woolite and softener and it came out just fine. I definitely agree that washing yourself makes the sweaters much more fluffy and less flat. If you like your sweaters crisp then you may not like how fluffy they get.

Thanks so much for the great advice.

I fill the basin with cool water and swish in mild detergent. Then put in the sweater and gently squeeze for a minute and leave in the basin for 20 minutes. Rinse and lay flat on a mesh drying rack. Never had a problem.

Cashmere is waaaay more forgiving than wool, cotton or silk sweaters! I am not surprised you can machine wash them. I found out the hard way ;) I tried to 'felt' cashmere for a project and after boiling scrubbing and plunging into cold water repeatedly, I gave up. My friend subjected the same piece to similar and the dryer also. It was beautiful felt but took 5 machine washes and dries before it felted