Workplace Card cases? Too bourgeois?

Jul 28, 2009
Hi gals,

I'd love to hear your thoughts on card cases. Are they ok or a bit much? I can only fit about 3 business cards in my wallet which usually isn't enough for the first time I meet a client onsite. I'm sick of trashing my cards by putting them in either a tote pocket or a pocket of my business bag - they just look grimy after a few times reaching in.

Kate Spade has some cute ones as does Smythson. They're really tempting me but I'm not 100% sure I want to be "that gal". Sort of like how I'd love to wear driving gloves but can't bring myself to do it. What are your thoughts on business card cases? Yay or nay?

Reactions: Namwan-
I agree that a card case is a must and I vote for Smythson! I have several of their accessories -card case, eyeglass case, make-up pouch-and three years later, being tossed around in my bags all the while and they still look new.

Agree to what everyone has said so far.
I think for the guys it's okay to have them in the shirt pocket, but that's no option for us gals.
A business card is your first impression and a sign of respect.

Reactions: donutsprinkles
You can get card cases for less than $5 in some office supply stores so I think it's a must. When people exchange business cards it's best the card not be crumpled or sullied, even if you can exchange info via email later on. It's your first impression of yourself and the business you represent, so I have never thought anyone being "too much" for having a case! I know many people are becoming more casual but this is function over pretense, if anything!

At events or conferences I find cases also help in separating cards you receive vs your own, so get something functional that you can get in and out of quickly.

Thanks girls, I would never give out crumpled business cards so I'm happy that having a case won't seem like a bit "much" even if the guys I work with don't. Ordered mine and I can hear the trees thanking me already since the amount of cards I'd have to toss in the past by not having one was completely shameful.

Personally, I don't feel that business cards are a necessity any longer given the countless apps that can be used as a replacement. However, if you have to carry them, a card case is definitely necessary so they don't get destroyed in your bag or wherever you keep them.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
This is interesting that some people receive business cards and some haven't in years because of apps. I think it depends on the culture of the industry and organization as well. When I worked in the arts field, no one gave cards except for our Asian business partners. When I moved to international business and finance, everyone had cards at the trade shows and when visiting the clients, again, especially all attorneys or those in product sales.

I recently went to an industry conference and everyone had a business card because it's much quicker to leave your details than trying to type it in/jot it down, snapping a photo of a card or finding out if someone has an app that you also have to share details.

If you don't meet with people outside your company much, I guess it makes sense not to have one?

I use my cards even when I go out for CEUs.

Reactions: clu13
I guess it depends on your industry. And yes, they do exist. Lawyers certainly like them. But this made me think whether we really "need them."

And the the answer is ABSOLUTELY YES. When I mediate, I could not imagine having everyone pull out their phone at the beginning of a conference to get my info via app - "hey, you there, lady who tragically lost her husband in a accident and is crying, here's my Linking info. Or guy with arm injury, write down my phone number." I simply hand them to people and politely say that here is my information if you should need me following the end of the session.

If you are dealing with people in pain, in any industry, a business card is a way more discrete way to handle the absolute necessity of exchanging contact info.

Last year, when we were dealing with my father's cancer and the numerous physicians, plus counselors for the my mom, I was not really in the mood to type "bump" the oncologist to get his info. It was way more appropriate to take the cards, place them in my bag and then add them to my phone contacts when it was more appropriate.

I'm going to get some eventually with just my name and phone number on it when I start freelancing and get another number. I don't want people Googling me, knowing where I live and work, all my phone numbers and email addresses. I'm lucky when it comes to the Googling thing because my name is Hillary so when I search for my name, all I get are results related to Hillary *******, lol. Thanks Hill. Also helps that I don't put my last name on any of my social accounts and all of them are private though.

Anyway, back on track, I already have two cardholders from Tiffany, but I wan't to get rid of at least one of them and replace them with an LV. The Tiffany blue clashes with all the other primary colors of my handbags and stuff inside them (black, fuchsia, hot pink, LV monogram or damier). I'll probably sell one and keep another to store other people's cards in and the cards I get from doctors in regards to my next appointments.