Carat vs. Color

niry84

*єη¢Ð½Î±Î·Ñ‚є∂*šÏÎ±¢Ñ”*
Dec 3, 2009
Hi all!!
Recently i purchased an eternity ring.
Under my eyes there were 2 rings:
One with 0.08 cw each diamond Color H (22 Diamonds)
One with 0.06 cw each diamond Color F (24 Diamonds)
Both with the same price (3300€)
I got the second one because of the color!! the one with 0.06 Diamonds was more white, sparkly and subtle as eternity ring!!

I would like to know if you prefear a big diamond with a medium color grade or a medium size diamond with an high color grade..

Let me know!!

Cut quality for me is more important than either. A poorly cut F will look less white than a well cut H. Just because it's an F doesn't mean it's better than the H and doesn't mean it will be more "sparkly".

For me I can't just pick like that, and it would depend on the stone. For an eternity band, most of the time I prefer them dainty so I'd go smaller.

Assuming cut and clarity are the same, I would choose color over carat. I tend to be color sensitive, and I have impressed many jewelers with my ability to see color (I am usually correct within 1 shade).

Cut quality for me is more important than either. A poorly cut F will look less white than a well cut H. Just because it's an F doesn't mean it's better than the H and doesn't mean it will be more "sparkly".

For me I can't just pick like that, and it would depend on the stone. For an eternity band, most of the time I prefer them dainty so I'd go smaller.

Sorry i forgot to say both with an high cut quality..and the same clarity..differences were only between carat and color..that was the matter for me!! :sad:

Assuming cut and clarity are the same, I would choose color over carat. I tend to be color sensitive, and I have impressed many jewelers with my ability to see color (I am usually correct within 1 shade).

That's great!!..i think i'm color sensitive too..even if the pièce do not need a colorless stone i prefear to choose a colorless one instead of a bigger one!!..but that's my opinion!!..

For the sparkle and shine of an eternity, I would go slightly smaller with a higher colour, given that cut and clarity were the same. Then again I also prefer smaller when it comes to eternity bands. However, in a large center stone I am not nearly as colour sensitive as long as the cut is excellent. I am perfectly happy at H or I (Js can be iffy for me, though).

Depends on what it is. Earrings I'd sacrifice color for carats as they're not as much of a focal point as say a solitaire ring in which case quality is equally as important as carats. IMHO:smile:

I prefer color over carat weight, also.

I would prefer a nearly perfect diamond to a larger diamond any day! Of course, that's my personal preference, but I am more concerned about a "good" diamond rather than a "big" diamond.

Not much difference between the two you're suggesting, of course!

But if it were a 1ct H colored diamond and a 1/2ct D colored diamond with exactly the same cut and clarity, just for example, I would choose the smaller!

Yeah, I'm odd like that...

PeacefulMommy said:
I prefer color over carat weight, also.

I would prefer a nearly perfect diamond to a larger diamond any day! Of course, that's my personal preference, but I am more concerned about a "good" diamond rather than a "big" diamond.

Not much difference between the two you're suggesting, of course!

But if it were a 1ct H colored diamond and a 1/2ct D colored diamond with exactly the same cut and clarity, just for example, I would choose the smaller!

Yeah, I'm odd like that...

Agree completely.

Would you be wearing the band along or stacked with other rings? If stacked, I'd choose the color that best coordinates with the other pieces I'm wearing and the overall look I'm going for.

Assuming that cut quality was the same for both, I'd personally always choose size over color. What can I say, I'm a size 'ho. :smile:

But it's because I tend to wear warm to quite low colored antique diamonds, so lower colors in big sizes are my thing. But I'm talking L/M/N and lower, not near colorless.

Cut will relate to how sparkly a diamond is, not color, so when you say that the F colored band sparkled more, I'd venture to guess that the diamonds were of better cut quality, or else your eye just preferred the twinkle of the slightly smaller stones. Whiter stones will pop more, of course, which may also contribute.

It really depends on the total effect you want. For example, I just set an S/T colored antique cushion in a blackened halo using stark white melee (D/E color) for contrast, so in that circumstance the high color mattered. But I plan to stack it with a couple of skinny eternity bands, one made up of champagne colored melee and one made with white melee for a mixed up artisan look.

It's all about finding the right combination to suit your personal style.

Sounds like a beautiful band - where are the pics?!

:smile:

You definitely chose the the right ring! For me, color is key as well, next to cut. I prefer white white diamonds, too. There is just something about the shine of a D or close to D color diamond!!! Great choice!!!! Post some pics!!!!