Car troubles

That sucks. On my last two cars the headlights are automatic, so I don't even think about turning them on anymore. Last month I rented a car in Phoenix that did not have auto headlights, so I turned them on one night to go to dinner. The next morning I went out to leave the hotel, and the unlock button on the keyfob wasn't working. It was annoyed, but I was able to unlock the car with the key. Then I turned the key in the ignition, and nothing happened. That's when I remembered that I had to turn the headlights on, apparently I didn't turn them off. Had to get help from the hotel to jump the battery. :shame:

pidgeon92 said:
That sucks. On my last two cars the headlights are automatic, so I don't even think about turning them on anymore. Last month I rented a car in Phoenix that did not have auto headlights, so I turned them on one night to go to dinner. The next morning I went out to leave the hotel, and the unlock button on the keyfob wasn't working. It was annoyed, but I was able to unlock the car with the key. Then I turned the key in the ignition, and nothing happened. That's when I remembered that I had to turn the headlights on, apparently I didn't turn them off. Had to get help from the hotel to jump the battery. :shame:

lol This is me, too! Valets always end up trying to mess with my lights because they don't realize they turn on and off by themselves... then I end up driving home without headlights because they switched off the auto button! Bah.

I'm guessing it's your starter. If it's your battery it should still turn over and then immediately die, like it doesn't have enough power to fully start up. Hopefully it's nothing too big!!

Thanks everyone, for feeling my imense pain !!

It was the battery, thank god !!! So as soon as the car got started, I took it out on a little road trip through the small towns around London and to get some oil added and gas. I am soooo relieved !!

Funny thing though, I definitely did not have it the worst. The towing company that came to jump my car had another car in tow on the truck, and the owner of the car (BRAND new Civic 2006) said that he had it for 2 days. TWO days !! Oh I would probably cry !

And Cristina, I only wish I could ask for a new car !! :lol: My brother's got dibs on the next car.. and he wants another baby Benz, maybe I'll just stick to nabbing it from him when the time comes !! :amuse:

ayla said:
So I was going to go fill up last night when I was hit with a really unpleasant surprise - my car no longer starts !!! :mad: !!

It doesn't make any noises, all the lights on the dash go on as per usual and.. that's it. I'm waiting on a tow company to see if it's just a battery problem (hopefully !!!) but does anyone else have any idea what might be going on ?

Starter or altenator is most likely the prob :smile:

Glad to hear it's just the battery! It's so much simpler, cheaper, and easier to fix! I hate car problems too, my car suddenly died once in front of a traffic light, right by an entrance to a highway, and it won't start. It's totally different though, it cranks but doesnt start and the problem was the electrical system :,( Sooo expensive to fix. I'd take battery problem over that any time!

p.s. my battery died sooo many times (I am guilty of forgetting to turn off my lights sometimes) that I bought this nifty battery jumper. It's rechargable at home and completely portable, so if my battery died in the middle of nowhere, I won't need another car to help me jump it. It comes with portable lights etc and only $29 if I remember correctly. Def worth it.

IntlSet said:
lol This is me, too! Valets always end up trying to mess with my lights because they don't realize they turn on and off by themselves... then I end up driving home without headlights because they switched off the auto button! Bah.

the same thing happens to me! my 4Runner has safety lights, so they go off after 1 minute when the car has been turned off or if you click the lock button on the keyless entry twice, but it always confuses the hell out of valets (and my mother, lol). it's a 2004, so they all figure they'll go out immediately when they take the key out of the ignition, and then they don't and madness ensues!

and glad to hear it was just the battery ayla, when i first read your post i guessed alternator or starter because i had a similar volvo in high school and had both of those problems.

allison said:
if it was a battery problem then you would have noticed it before or the lights would have attempted to come on. It could be a bad starter or ignition switch. I hope you get it figured out soon.

That happened to a car of mine when I was in school, except I figured it out after I changed my battery twice.

ayla said:
Thanks everyone, for feeling my imense pain !!

It was the battery, thank god !!! So as soon as the car got started, I took it out on a little road trip through the small towns around London and to get some oil added and gas. I am soooo relieved !!

Funny thing though, I definitely did not have it the worst. The towing company that came to jump my car had another car in tow on the truck, and the owner of the car (BRAND new Civic 2006) said that he had it for 2 days. TWO days !! Oh I would probably cry !

And Cristina, I only wish I could ask for a new car !! :lol: My brother's got dibs on the next car.. and he wants another baby Benz, maybe I'll just stick to nabbing it from him when the time comes !! :amuse:

Just saw this...I'm glad it all worked out!!!:love: