Car accident---don't call insurance?!

Florida is a no fault state, so, your mother's insurance should pay for damages. Then what happens is her insurance will submit to be reimbursed by the other party's company. That's how it usually works. However, if the other party is willing to handle it, I don't see any reason she needs to call her insurance. Of course, if things don't get handled the way she wants, then definitely call, but otherwise, it should be fine as long as the other party is on the up and up.

Call your insurance and ASAP. For me, the police officer knew the person that hit me had no insurance (which means in the state of Georgia they are supposed to arrest the person) and the officer did not do it. Because the person did not have insurance, my insurance company paid for part of my new car but not all of the car's price. The insurance company dealt with the person that rear ended me. It was a mess, but the insurance company took care of it and I had a rental car for a while they gave me. Definitely call your insurance company.

I had two wrecks in 2006. Both times I was rear ended. At the scene, I got all the other drivers info including driver license number and ALWAYS called the police and got a report.

I called my insurance agent just to let him know that I was going to file with the other insurance company. I never filed with my insurance company. You do not have to. You can call their insurance company directly and file. This way you have no deductible responsibility.

I received rental cars both times and had no problems with taking my car to the repair place of my choice.

If they have no insurance, then you would file with your company.

I don't know... I'll be honest and say that I side-swiped a car and settled out of pocket. It was in my high-school's parking lot. The guy sent me a trumped up bill but I paid it anyway because it was still cheaper than having my premium go up.

Maybe because I'm a trustworthy stranger I expect all people to behave like that. I guess your mom really can't trust this person (I sideswiped the father of someone in my highschool), so she should call insurance. People settle out of pocket all the time, though.

Tell her to call her insurance. ITA with Jill. Don't trust strangers to pay for the damages. It might get too complicated. Plus it's really better if there's someone in the middle to handle things. Rather than her doing all the work.

:wtf: she should IMMEDIATELY call her insurance...people who try to scam insurance companies are obviously capable of scamming YOU. Insurance is there to protect you in cases that your mother just experienced. The people who hit her are trying to avoid doing the legally and morally correct thing to do. She should immediately contact her insurance (hopefully she took down their license plate #, driver's license #, make and model of car) and give them all the info.

For future reference, she should ALWAYS call the police when she is in an accident (for a written report) and NEVER, EVER trust people who want to "pay for the car repairs themselves". Good luck to her!!!

Just to add, I was driving by a car that was in a lane that was ending and for some reason, didn't see me driving next to her. She started merging over and forced me into some construction barrels scraping up the side of my car. We didn't call the police nor the insurance and she paid me cash for my damages after me getting an estimate.
Another time, I was backing out of a parking spot, a guy didn't see me and backed into me as he was backing out of his spot. I never called my insurance. He called his and paid for my damages.
One time, I was parallel parking and gently scraped one of the cars next to me. I was at fault, and I called my insurance and got everything handled. The guy didn't need to call his.
A couple of years ago I rearended a lady. I was at fault, I called my insurance and they handled everything. She never called hers.
The way I look at it, she has a police rpt, so if this person is trying to scam her all she needs to do is call her insurance co and fall back on the police rpt for evidence. Let the at fault party handle it and if they try to screw her over, then involve her insurance. Why involve extra people if you don't have to?