Capsule-ish wardrobe anyone?

KimTX

O.G.
Mar 19, 2013
I've done a search on the forum and didn't find a dedicated thread to this concept. I did find quite a few people who expressed in one way or another "no way will this work for me!" :lol:

I have been thinking of minimalism for the sake of simplicity, and a capsule wardrobe to help curb my tendency to over-shop. I like this method because if you follow the way "The Daily Connoisseur" on youtube does it, you can shop four times per year, but in a mindful way with limits.

I'm sure there are many ways to do it, and many rules that you could follow, but I like her method.

• 10ish main pieces which include tops, bottoms, dresses and skirts that mix/match
  • Your support pieces-a few cardigans or blazers or scarves
  • shoes-not sure, but one or two main shoes per season
  • no limit on t-shirts or tanks

We all have different lifestyles, so you may need a separate capsule wardrobe for work.

It may seem like hardly any clothes, but the thing I keep reminding myself of is that with every season, you can change it up, if you live in a four season place! But, even if I didn't, I'd probably change out my capsule 4x's per year.

I have already cleaned out my closet A LOT!!!! But, I'm not down to capsule size. I think for fun I'm going to pack up all but a capsule amount and try it for the spring season. Then, in summer I'll try how it feels to change capsules. If I hate it, I'll give up by fall, or change it up some way. But, no matter what, I'm done with a a glutinous closet!

Before picture, but I had already weeded WAY down.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1399150829.347444.jpg

Afterward-the yoga clothes are in the bottom rack. ;) I cut them down to half! And notice the dresses are cut in about half. :smile:

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1399150850.333143.jpg.

Well, I was admiring your wooden hangers! I actually went to the trouble to use all clear plastic for shirts and all pink for pants to try to get a unformed look due to your photo! Do you like the wooden for the looks, or are they more functional than plastic? I had to get rid of all my felt ones b/c I'm allergic to dust and they were grabbing dust. :sad:

love your closet! I have a long way to go to get a nicer one lol!

I've realized for me that I need to plan on having 2 wardrobes as I work in an office so I can't see limited myself as tight to numbers - not that I'm going to get very low, but just thinking and being in this mode is helping me to plan, write lists (I'm a huge list person lol!) - keep tracking of my purchases and spending...and figure out what else to purge and sell. I was trying to not buy anything this month but already failed....however I've come up with things to part with in place of what is coming (a bag and a pr of booties)....I also love love looking on pinterest at closet pictures and minimal wardrobe pictures and realize I do have a great collection - just trying to rid of duplicates. For now I'm stuck with certain items as they are fall weather wear and consignment stores won't take them now as they are out of season in my area. But at least I know what will be going in a few months!

Wow! That is amazing!! I keep thinking about doing this but I have a fear of letting go. I thought your before pic was the after pic!!! I am loving the idea. Good luck!!

I don't do a minimalist wardrobe, but most of my pieces go with a lot of other pieces in my wardrobe. It's pretty well thought out.

I gravitate to certain colors: outerwear and bottoms are usually neutrals, and I do tops and scarves in a variety of colors, but tend toward blues and corals.

Dresses don't usually fit me, so I pair monochromatic tops and skirts to make a cohesive "dress". I have black, brown, white and ivory combinations which work well as dresses.

Many of my work pieces can be paired with my casual pieces.

I find it easier to accumulate pieces for the wardrobe over the years rather than change most of it out seasonally.

I've identified over 20 categories of wardrobe pieces (including accessories, shoes, jewelry), so it would be difficult (and unnecessary) for me to go minimalist. However, everything in the current rotation (including coats and bags) fits in 5 linear feet of closet space (one rod, one shelf and the floor), plus 2 4cf cabinets.

I guess it's a big capsule. :P

Here is a wikipedia article on capsule wardrobe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_wardrobe

I don't do a minimalist wardrobe, but most of my pieces go with a lot of other pieces in my wardrobe. It's pretty well thought out.

I gravitate to certain colors: outerwear and bottoms are usually neutrals, and I do tops and scarves in a variety of colors, but tend toward blues and corals.

Dresses don't usually fit me, so I pair monochromatic tops and skirts to make a cohesive "dress". I have black, brown, white and ivory combinations which work well as dresses.

Many of my work pieces can be paired with my casual pieces.

I find it easier to accumulate pieces for the wardrobe over the years rather than change most of it out seasonally.

I've identified over 20 categories of wardrobe pieces (including accessories, shoes, jewelry), so it would be difficult (and unnecessary) for me to go minimalist. However, everything in the current rotation (including coats and bags) fits in 5 linear feet of closet space (one rod, one shelf and the floor), plus 2 4cf cabinets.

I guess it's a big capsule. :P

Here is a wikipedia article on capsule wardrobe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_wardrobe

I am in complete awe with such well thought out decisions. When shopping, I am completely all over the place. I let sales and what I see at the moment drive my decisions and never consider what I may already have and whether it matches. I don't even know how to begin. I am envious of your well laid out closets.

I am in complete awe with such well thought out decisions. When shopping, I am completely all over the place. I let sales and what I see at the moment drive my decisions and never consider what I may already have and whether it matches. I don't even know how to begin. I am envious of your well laid out closets.

I started in boutiques where nearly everything in a floor set would go together. I would grab anything the store that appealed to me in the least and try it on, even stuff I would "never" buy I would try on out of curiosity. I spent hours in the dressing rooms, just combining different things.

It was a simpler time. :rolleyes:

You might have some luck if you can find a boutique you like that has clothes that fit you perfectly. Then see if they have coupons or sales for a big percentage off.

When you buy something, you could download the online pic of the item to your phone or tablet and organize the pics into albums. That helps me.

You could also play dressup with what you already have. And look at fashion blogs for inspiration for outfits. I look at about 1/2 dozen blogs plus the OOTD thread, and when I see an outfit I like, I make notes on my ipad to try to put a similar outfit together from items in my closet.

I used to be the same way, but it was a chaotic way to live. I had too many choices, and levels of happiness with the clothing. Downsizing helps you really like everything in the closet so that there is no bad choice. And, what really made a huge difference to me was the Stylebook App-it helps you get to know for closet and mix and match your outfits. That was a real eye opener for me.

Me too! I started with only letting go items that had holes. Then, if there was too much pilling. I waited a week or so, found I liked the lighter feel of things. Then, I tried on everything I had. If it looked bad, it was gone. Felt great. Then, about a week later, I made sure it matched other items, was versatile, and that I actually still liked the item for my current lifestyle. That was the whole process and each cull got easier and easier, and I lost attachments to clothes. My feelings shifted from how I felt about the clothes to how I felt about ME. It was actually pretty cool.

Wow! That is amazing!! I keep thinking about doing this but I have a fear of letting go. I thought your before pic was the after pic!!! I am loving the idea. Good luck!!

I love the idea of capsule wardrobe and even think of adopting it for myself, but I'm afraid of one thing - wouldn't it be boring to wear same garments from week to week? Probably I'll also try first to just hide away everything except the capsule and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll try to create several capsules for leisure, and several for work to have a wider choice. Maybe this will be my way of doing it :smile:

I've learned I now love mostly solids (though stripes and animal print are my favorite prints) - and I truly feel more chic and pulled together with this simpler look - I have had the side of me that does like bright colors and prints but I don't feel the same feeling when I wear them...so out they are going! My big thing was taking a true inventory and writing down the numbers of my items - coats, boots, flats, heels, cardigans, tops, work pants, skirts, etc. - that puts it all out and finding out where my many duplicates are and selling off those which I don't love as much...