Capsule hermes bag collection

kirpi_chan

O.G.
Oct 6, 2008
Dear ladies and gents, apologies if this has been discussed before but I have tried to look for this information and not found much that is satisfactory. I have only been collecting H bags for a short time but would like to build up a capsule collection. What would you suggest should go into a capsule collection? The colours and the styles and the type of leather. Many thanks in advance!

Reactions: Etriers
Hi Kirpi,

I'm been thinking on your question. And sorry about not responding to the PM—I'll try to do that later, but it could take a while.

I feel like the idea of capsule collection has been expressed before, but it can be a useful guiding principle if you're new to H. Could save you much money to be smart about it!

Environment (city/country), weather, transportation mode (metro/walking/car), and your general style (casual/lots of evening events) play a big role in figuring out what's right for you. I love bags, so I don't mind have quite a few "extra" beyond what I need as a capsule. Still, this year I focused a lot on filling in some very clear needs, which had me thinking along similar lines.

First, I suggest something that can handle rain and snow. A shoulder or cross-body bag in Clemence, Epsom, or Barenia works like a charm for this. May I suggest: Barenia Evelyne, Epsom Trim, or a Clemence Marwari/Massai/Gao.

Second, a casual clutch. May I suggest: a vintage box Jige PM (with toile inside). I use these for everything, day to night, and it's the perfect size for me, whether I'm shopping, visiting museums, or going to a show.

Third, a larger black (or dark brown, depending on your neutral) bag for day. A vintage box Kelly works great for this (I even carry a small laptop inside for work), but so would many other bags.

Fourth, a golden (or other light neutral) bag for day. Picotin, Kelly, Bolide, etc.—they all work.

Fifth, a bright bag that makes your heart stop for day to night. May I suggest a small red Kelly? A vintage Dalvy is also good for this. For this bag, the key is choosing your favorite color.

Since you live in London may I suggest -
A bag which you can shoulder carry, can go through rain and is in an under the radar colour. I think you can use this in many situations. Dark neutral, Lindy/ Marwari/ Evelyn/ Jypsiere/ Halzan / Berline Clemence Togo Evercolour
One brighter hand carried bag for smart casual events. Chose a bright colour you love and goes with your wardrobe Kelly/ Birkin/ Plume/ HAC in vintage Box, Epsom, Swift
One clutch for day to night as suggested, Kelly Cut, Kelly Pochette, Jige, PlitPlat
I think that's it. I have gone way over this in my own collection and Arabesques gives good, specific advice!

Since you live in London may I suggest -
A bag which you can shoulder carry, can go through rain and is in an under the radar colour. I think you can use this in many situations. Dark neutral, Lindy/ Marwari/ Evelyn/ Jypsiere/ Halzan / Berline Clemence Togo Evercolour
One brighter hand carried bag for smart casual events. Chose a bright colour you love and goes with your wardrobe Kelly/ Birkin/ Plume/ HAC in vintage Box, Epsom, Swift
One clutch for day to night as suggested, Kelly Cut, Kelly Pochette, Jige, PlitPlat
I think that's it. I have gone way over this in my own collection and Arabesques gives good, specific advice!
Dear Arabesque and periogirl28,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave some helpful suggestions. I think when I first ventured into the hermes world I had in mind some specific bags. But it is starting to spiral out of hand. My first bag was a linty 34 etoupe in clemence and that is generally the go to bash around bag that takes awhile lot of abuse from the kids and I. I then bought three boxes in part inspired by the beautiful bags on the forum and also by your blog Arabesque.
So I bought a 32 box burgundy kelly retourne and a 28 chocolate kelly retourne and a rough H balle de Golf. I was about to buy a golden bag - a porc but it got away from me. Hence I am currently contemplating a veau natural kelly 32 sellier or a natural chamonix kelly retourne.
For a day bag I am currently debating between a black 35 kelly or a barenia kelly.

Would love to buy a Jige and picotin as you both have suggested but not sure if I need it.

I did end up with a pop bag which was a lindy 30 Rose Jaipur in clemence.

There are so many beautiful bags and I would love to get more but realistically I don't think I would carry them all. So I would rather have a few that I love and will carry. Hence just wondering what would round the collection off nicely.

Hi Kirpi,

I'm been thinking on your question. And sorry about not responding to the PM—I'll try to do that later, but it could take a while.

I feel like the idea of capsule collection has been expressed before, but it can be a useful guiding principle if you're new to H. Could save you much money to be smart about it!

Environment (city/country), weather, transportation mode (metro/walking/car), and your general style (casual/lots of evening events) play a big role in figuring out what's right for you. I love bags, so I don't mind have quite a few "extra" beyond what I need as a capsule. Still, this year I focused a lot on filling in some very clear needs, which had me thinking along similar lines.

First, I suggest something that can handle rain and snow. A shoulder or cross-body bag in Clemence, Epsom, or Barenia works like a charm for this. May I suggest: Barenia Evelyne, Epsom Trim, or a Clemence Marwari/Massai/Gao.

Second, a casual clutch. May I suggest: a vintage box Jige PM (with toile inside). I use these for everything, day to night, and it's the perfect size for me, whether I'm shopping, visiting museums, or going to a show.

Third, a larger black (or dark brown, depending on your neutral) bag for day. A vintage box Kelly works great for this (I even carry a small laptop inside for work), but so would many other bags.

Fourth, a golden (or other light neutral) bag for day. Picotin, Kelly, Bolide, etc.—they all work.

Fifth, a bright bag that makes your heart stop for day to night. May I suggest a small red Kelly? A vintage Dalvy is also good for this. For this bag, the key is choosing your favorite color.

Great advice! I think you nailed it.

This is actually pretty close to the ideal 'bags for all occasions'

If I added a sixth H bag, say a 'rain/snow-proof' GP or DS to my modest collection this would be what I have.

I really will be the STOPing test after that, that will proves whether or not the idea of capsule H can work

Dear Arabesque and periogirl28,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave some helpful suggestions. I think when I first ventured into the hermes world I had in mind some specific bags. But it is starting to spiral out of hand. My first bag was a linty 34 etoupe in clemence and that is generally the go to bash around bag that takes awhile lot of abuse from the kids and I. I then bought three boxes in part inspired by the beautiful bags on the forum and also by your blog Arabesque.
So I bought a 32 box burgundy kelly retourne and a 28 chocolate kelly retourne and a rough H balle de Golf. I was about to buy a golden bag - a porc but it got away from me. Hence I am currently contemplating a veau natural kelly 32 sellier or a natural chamonix kelly retourne.
For a day bag I am currently debating between a black 35 kelly or a barenia kelly.

Would love to buy a Jige and picotin as you both have suggested but not sure if I need it.

I did end up with a pop bag which was a lindy 30 Rose Jaipur in clemence.

There are so many beautiful bags and I would love to get more but realistically I don't think I would carry them all. So I would rather have a few that I love and will carry. Hence just wondering what would round the collection off nicely.
Your collection sounds really lovely tbh. I would add perhaps a large open top tote like a GP or even a Birkin (less practical as harder to put on your shoulder) in a Gold-type color and a clutch as Arabesques says, a Jige or a Kelly Pochette. And since I'm dreaming out loud here, both a black Kelly and a Barenia Kelly for your day bag as those are two very different but VERY useful bags.
Colorwise, since you have brown, etoupe, and burgundy/Rouge H plus a pop pink, and are planning on black/gold - I might add one of the great Hermès "off neutrals" like Indigo, Graphite, or Raisin - or a fairly dark blue bag like Bleu Saphir.
Who am I kidding, why stop !? :rolleyes:

Reactions: jbags07 and CMilly
I meant to rely to this thread last night but got distracted. It's so much fun building a capsule collection but it gets addicting and before you know it, your capsule collection turns from 4-5 essential bags to a a whole bunch of fun bags!!!

Your collections sounds divine!! I think you should skip the 3rd Kelly, seeing that you already have 2 and add a tote of some type - either a GP, a Birkin or a double sens. Totes always come in handy and can fit a laptop in a pinch.

I would also add a clutch though personally, I tend not to use them. Perhaps consider getting a Kelly wallet that can double as a wallet and a clutch and add that 3rd Kelly to your collection.

Here's how it would look:
Casual Throw Around Day Bag - Lindy 34 and 30 (check)
Tote - Double Sens, Birkin or Garden Party
Dressier Day Bag - 32 Kelly (check)
Casual cross body - ball de golf (can this be worn cross body?) (check)
Clutch/Wallet - Kelly wallet
Evening Bag - Kelly 28 (check)

I would also throw in a Bolide just because I love them :smile:

Reactions: jbags07
I meant to rely to this thread last night but got distracted. It's so much fun building a capsule collection but it gets addicting and before you know it, your capsule collection turns from 4-5 essential bags to a a whole bunch of fun bags!!!

Your collections sounds divine!! I think you should skip the 3rd Kelly, seeing that you already have 2 and add a tote of some type - either a GP, a Birkin or a double sens. Totes always come in handy and can fit a laptop in a pinch.

I would also add a clutch though personally, I tend not to use them. Perhaps consider getting a Kelly wallet that can double as a wallet and a clutch and add that 3rd Kelly to your collection.

Here's how it would look:
Casual Throw Around Day Bag - Lindy 34 and 30 (check)
Tote - Double Sens, Birkin or Garden Party
Dressier Day Bag - 32 Kelly (check)
Casual cross body - ball de golf (can this be worn cross body?) (check)
Clutch/Wallet - Kelly wallet
Evening Bag - Kelly 28 (check)

I would also throw in a Bolide just because I love them :smile:
Totally agree on the Bolide! Maybe for your day bags do the Barenia Kelly (because that is just a very special bag and will de different from your other Kellys) and a black Bolide. I am craving a black Bolide, probably Mou in Clemence, as IMO it's the perfect combination of hand carry and shoulder bag, and easier to open and close than a K.

Reactions: jbags07 and CMilly
I am afraid I'd be the minority here, but I thought I could share my views about this capsule collection.

I have managed to cover all my needs with various versions of the Kelly bag.

Casual day bag, workhorse : Kelly retourne 35.
Over the years I have owned, Box leather, Togo, Barenia , Gulliver, Matte Croc, Ostrich...

Formal day bag : Kelly 32 sellier. (Ostrich, Box, Croc etc...) (35 and 28 work as well)

Afternoon events : Kelly 28 sellier (box leather) (25 works as well)

Night : Mini Kelly. 20 or Mini Mini Kelly 15 ( any leather looks perfect)

Hermes clutches do not work for me for evening, I much prefer wearing my Jersey Chanel with the chains hidden inside.... or nothing.