Canvas - silly question but hopefully a simple answer!

Minty Candies

Jul 13, 2011
Hi everyone!

I live in Melbourne with infamously crazy weather (think four seasons in one day). I've noticed whenever I purchase mono or de items, they start off feeling like freshly cleansed skin (for lack of a better description) but as I use the item the canvas starts to feel like freshly moisturized skin i.e. slightly sticky to the touch.

I've done a search on tpf and google with no results. I store my bags in their dustbags on an open shelf, I don't use products like conditioners or leather protectors on the canvas, so why is it developing this funny sticky feeling?! And what's the best way to remove it?

Sorry for the longish post but thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited:
I think it's the warm and humid weather in Melbourne. I've seen LV bags in Singapore with the same issue as you described.
In my opinion the LV bags are made in first place in France for Europeans. We (I live in the Netherlands) don't have to deal with that extreme height temperature and the canvas doesn't "suffer" in Europe. Although it could be hot in Spain. Once I brought my speedy there on holiday. The canvas was so soft (like melting plastic with coton)
Don't leave your canvas bag in the car in summer was the advice I red.

Reactions: EpiFanatic
I am so happy I found this thread! A colleague had a cousin buy a mono Palermo bag and when I touched it. The bag felt soft and oily. I was shocked since I own some mono bags and never had any of my bags become soft like that. I was afraid her cousin got her a fake bag and kept the money. It's good to know that sometimes the canvas felts different.

Hi everyone!

I live in Melbourne with infamously crazy weather (think four seasons in one day). I've noticed whenever I purchase mono or de items, they start off feeling like freshly cleansed skin (for lack of a better description) but as I use the item the canvas starts to feel like freshly moisturized skin i.e. slightly sticky to the touch.

I've done a search on tpf and google with no results. I store my bags in their dustbags on an open shelf, I don't use products like conditioners or leather protectors on the canvas, so why is it developing this funny sticky feeling?! And what's the best way to remove it?

Sorry for the longish post but thanks in advance for any advice!

I have a Galliera pm and it became sticky like too but nice and soft. I am in Brisbane Qld so a lot of humidity. I never store in the box, only the dust bag in the cupboard. I used baby wipes (just on the canvas) and once it dried it felt sticky no more :biggrin:

I am so happy I found this thread! A colleague had a cousin buy a mono Palermo bag and when I touched it. The bag felt soft and oily. I was shocked since I own some mono bags and never had any of my bags become soft like that. I was afraid her cousin got her a fake bag and kept the money. It's good to know that sometimes the canvas felts different.

Hi, yes they can be different. I had a Cabas Piano which was a harder stiffer surface as if to keep its shape, yet the slouchy bags like Galliera and delightful are a softer feel.

Its more likely to be your body oils transferred from your hands and arm rubbing and touching it while you are carrying it. Just like you have a shower to get rid of your oils, your bag just may need a clean with soapy water as suggested above.

Very late response - but hopefully this can help other people looking for an answer. I purchased a vintage noe with sticky canvas. As the comments above suggest, the canvas was very dirty. I wiped it down 3 times with baby wipes and the baby wipe was near grey/black after each wipe. I ended up rinsing with dish soap and water after wiping it down and it's no longer sticky.