Can't Find Jobs -- Should We Move?

deleckidesign

Oct 23, 2008
My husband was an accountant for a grocery store chain. When it got bought out, his department was wiped out.

I was a graphic designer for an ad agency and there is just no work coming in. They want to keep me, but I'm laid off until there is more work.

Neither of us have been out of work for too long, but we're worried about finding stuff. There just isn't much out there. We live in Michigan, and in a city that is VERY depressed economically. Probably one of the hardest hit cities in the country.

We have enough money to make it until June before we run out. And then what? We both have unemployment which is enough to pay for heat and food and maybe a car. But certainly not enough to pay for our house and our second car. Do we file bankruptcy? How does that work?

We have considered applying for jobs out of state. Maybe Indiana or Tennessee. We both have family there that would let us live with them until we get back on our feet. But, I fear that may be difficult. We have to sell our house for a loss and how are we going to come up with the money to cover the difference between what we owe and how much it sells for? Don't want to do a short sale because then we won't be able to buy another house if/when we move out of state.

We are trying to be positive and HOPE a job comes along for at least one of us...but we want to be proactive and not wait until the last minute and say "Oh, well, I guess we're going to lose everything!"

Any advice and tips are welcome!

I would start applying elsewhere - closer to family is good. Basically ask yourself, "what is keeping us here?"

And if you sell your house, don't buy immediately. Make sure you want to be where you are staying. Lots of things rented out these days. Sometimes it's just better to cut your losses... Look long term - if you stay? you can lose the entire house and still have no prospects. If you go for a job? you at least have prospects.

I know how hard hit Michigan is, my sister and parents live there. I moved to CA 12 years ago so I missed all the bad things that have happened there. Luckily my parents are retired so they really don't have any worries, but my sister and her husband own a small home that is worth less than what they paid for it. They would love to move into a larger home, but they just don't have the money to do so.

They are not willing to move out of state because they have so much family there, but I'd say in your case go where the jobs are. Not necessarily where you have family. If you can't sell the house, I would consider renting it out. I believe there are a few other people on this board (also in MI) who are in your situation of not being able to sell their home. Hopefully they'll chime in.

I would start applying elsewhere - closer to family is good. Basically ask yourself, "what is keeping us here?"

And if you sell your house, don't buy immediately. Make sure you want to be where you are staying. Lots of things rented out these days. Sometimes it's just better to cut your losses... Look long term - if you stay? you can lose the entire house and still have no prospects. If you go for a job? you at least have prospects.

I know my husband doesn't want to leave (his mom and dad lives here and he's always lived in this area)...I don't want to either as my mom lives here, but at least she said she'd follow me where ever we move :wtf: :yes:

My dad lives in Indiana and I haven't lived close to him since I was a kid, so this would be a positive for moving around Indianapolis. I've already started researching jobs around there and found quite a few that we're qualified for. My question is...when should I start applying?

My husband and I both sort of want to stay here in MI, but we'll do what we have to do. I figure it couldn't hurt to apply and interview and get a job offer. If the offer isn't worth it, I don't have to take it.

I'd definitely consider moving. Wherever you end up, it's just a plane ride away from your family. What's important is being able to make a legitimate life for yourself. I'd especially consider someplace in the south, property prices and cost of living is much lower than in the northeast or west coast, which could help you stretch your savings while you look for work.

I would definately jump on the try to find a job band wagon. Don't file bank ruptcy, you have money!

You should apply in neighboring towns. You may have to travel to get to your job, but at least you would have a job!

Your husband needs to realize you guys may have to move. Are his parents going to help bail you all out when you run out of money? Ask him this. Just because he grew up there and his parents live there, doesn't mean he has to live there and suffer. Your husband needs to ask himself what's important.

I would definately jump on the try to find a job band wagon. Don't file bank ruptcy, you have money!

You should apply in neighboring towns. You may have to travel to get to your job, but at least you would have a job!

Oh, we don't plan to file bankruptcy. But the money we have is only going to last so long...so I'm just trying to think ahead!

Your husband needs to realize you guys may have to move. Are his parents going to help bail you all out when you run out of money? Ask him this. Just because he grew up there and his parents live there, doesn't mean he has to live there and suffer. Your husband needs to ask himself what's important.

I know! He's having a hard time dealing with the thought of moving. My dad already said we could live with him (in Indiana; where we are thinking of moving) and would help any way he can.

I asked him (my husband) earlier to take a look at my cover letter for a job I was applying for in Indiana. He was acting like a big baby and would not look at it. Asked me "I thought we were waiting a couple months to apply to jobs out of state?" And I told him I'm not going to wait until we lose everything to do something about it. In this economy, we have to take what we can get!

You are a graphic designer and you have an advantage over most unemployed people in that you could start your own freelance business fairly easily. I was laid off when the software company I worked for was sold back in 2001 and I was able to support myself with my own design business until I could find another full-time job (about a year). I loved it and would have continued doing it except I needed the health insurance. If you price it right, you could attract clients that can't afford to work with an agency or design house right now.

^i was just about to say that. definitely a good point about starting a freelance biz to cater to clients who can't afford an agency right now...which is most small businesses.

also i wouldn't assume you guys can find positions instantaneously...not in this economy. if your money is going to run out in june, now is definitely not too early to start looking. i wouldn't be picky about the job specifics at this point, and i'd definitely move to wherever the job is, and worst case scenario you can rent some dinky place for very cheap and live paycheck to paycheck for a while until you can land on your feet. if it were me, i wouldn't even try to maintain the lifestyle i did before (i.e. live close to your family, maintain 2 cars and house, etc) because those are really luxuries if you have no job and money is running out. good luck.