Can't afford to pay my eBay fees - now I'm suspended!

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
I am very sad right now. I knew it was coming, but I guess I was just hoping that it wouldn't happen.

I tried and tried to keep up with my eBay fees, but they got so out of hand, that my invoice was too out of reach for me. I even tried paying little bits here and there, to no avail. I realize it's my fault, and should have just stopped selling temporarily until I was able to catch up, but we are struggling so much right now that every time I sold a print, it really, really helped. Just one little print helped us, and since my average was 1-3 prints per day, you can imagine how that little amount of money helped sustain us. It's sad, I know, but I honestly don't know what to do.

I am trying to list on my website, but nothing—even paid for Google adwords, but had to cancel that because I couldn't afford it; but found it did nothing for my site. I also listed my pop art prints on Bonanzle, but only made one sale (to a tPFer, too :heart:). I'm at my wits end here, I truly don't know what to do. Should I just suck it up and pay the fees in full to reinstate my account? But keep in mind, the amount is so significant that it would really affect our budget for 2 weeks.

I'm just really depressed right now. Needless to say, my store is gone, all of my listings are gone and I want to cry. :hysteric:

Thanks for letting me rant, guys! I appreciate it.

Oh no!! I am really sorry that this happened to you. You are right, the fees really do add up - I will pay listing fees and then - boom - there are final value fees now.

Unfortunately - if Ebay was a source of steady income for you then you need to square up with them so you can continue to sell - eating into your budget for 2 weeks may hurt, but what will a reduction in income do?

Bonanzle will hopefully get the traffic - but, until then evilbay is a necessary tool for many people.

Just be sure that you don't get behind with them again - put a little money aside from every sale you do.

Can you do a larger print size and charge more money for them? Currently you do the 8x10 - can you do something bigger that you can charge more for and make more on?

I'm sorry for your situation. How substantial are your fees?

Can you maybe get a part-time job to help out right now? I have no idea what your situation is, but waitressing or something like that for a bit will give you a little bit more income to work with and those jobs are easy to get. That way you wouldn't have to be so dependent on eBay, which is bleeding sellers dry.

Best wishes to you, I know times are difficult for so many people right now.

I had a 400$ bill once and I was not happy about it. You sell stuff on Ebay to pay Ebay!!!

I understand your pain right now. Its ridiculous how expensive it is to list and sell stuff on VaTeFaireF*****Bay.

I am so sorry to hear about your dilemma with your eB^^ fees. This whole economy is pretty frightening right now and it is truly affecting everybody.

I think you are the only one who can decide whether you should pay the bill and become unsuspended or go on this way until you actually have the funds to pay it. I think you need to determine what your loses will be by not selling per day and whether you can stay afloat by not selling. It sounds like you need the sales and exposure and although none of us want to admit it, Evilbay is where you will find it.

Good luck in your decision and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I'm so sorry to hear a out your financial problems. Have you tried calling up their customer service to work out some sort of payment plan? I know Ebay customer service sucks but you have to try so that they aren't long lasting financial implications. As far as to whether you should suspend selling until you catch up it depends. It helps you pay your bills but you are getting further and further in debt to Ebay. If you suspend selling on Ebay until you can get caught up with their bill will you still be able to pay your necessary living expenses? If so then maybe so that you don't get further in debt it's for the best temporarily. Either way keep your head up. One thing I've learned is that stressing has never really helped. I don't think better when I'm stressed and it just makes the situation worse. Sit down and rationally think of each possibility and the possible repercussions of taking that path. The path you choose may not be one that magically fixes everything but it will give you a direction to hopefully start to make things better. Good luck.

Onecreativegirl... you must also sit down calmly and consider your future w/ ebay. What has happened that has dropped your sales volume and can you fix it...? There is no point in worrying about how to STAY on ebay if you aren't making any money on ebay. If you are not selling enough prints to keep the store open, then you need to move on and not dig yourself into a deeper hole.
And not trying to be mean, hon... just looking at the "simple economics" of the situation. If the store is not selling enough to cover the fees... then don't keep trying to pay to keep it open. Spend your time and energy searching for other avenues for your art.
Hoping for better things to come your way!!

I really don't know what to say other than try selling via craigslist. It's free and you can post 4 pics of your items. Try setting up a facebook, myspace and devient art, as well as etsy account as well (free free free) to try and sell through them as well. It's at least a start!! Do you live in an area that has fairs? You could try selling your work this way as well to get some extra income in pay your ebay fees.

What will hurt your bottom line more, paying the fees and sucking it up for two weeks or not being able to sell on ebay again? I think those are your options here unfortunately...

What I do is figure out my ebay fees when I make a sale. Then before I withdraw from PP, I leave the $ to cover all my fees in my paypal account. That way I am never spending the $ that is owed to ebay in a month KWIM? It helps you budget for the fees that way.

It stinks, but you've gotta pay what you owe eventually or else it will go to collections.

As much as I want to have sympathy, I really can't. eBay provided you a venue to sell your artwork, and you breached the user agreement by not paying the fees you owe (fees that ebay is rightly due). It was your choice to get so far behind- had you paid the fees every time you had a sale (or at least once a week) you wouldn't be in this mess. Try turning the tables for perspective- if you were a lawyer who wasn't getting paid, would you continue to work for the deadbeat client?

My best advice is to suck it up and pay the fees you'd previously agreed to pay, then make a schedule to make sure that you don't fall so needlessly behind in the future.

Oh no!! I am really sorry that this happened to you. You are right, the fees really do add up - I will pay listing fees and then - boom - there are final value fees now.

Unfortunately - if Ebay was a source of steady income for you then you need to square up with them so you can continue to sell - eating into your budget for 2 weeks may hurt, but what will a reduction in income do?

Bonanzle will hopefully get the traffic - but, until then evilbay is a necessary tool for many people.

Just be sure that you don't get behind with them again - put a little money aside from every sale you do.

Can you do a larger print size and charge more money for them? Currently you do the 8x10 - can you do something bigger that you can charge more for and make more on?

Thank you so much for your advice. I think you're right. Since I don't have a job right now, it pretty much helps supplement our income. Not much, but enough to make a little bit of a difference.

I just recently added larger prints at 11x17 and 12x18. They were listed in my POSTER category, and I listed this on each listing, as well.

I had a 400$ bill once and I was not happy about it. You sell stuff on Ebay to pay Ebay!!!

I understand your pain right now. Its ridiculous how expensive it is to list and sell stuff on VaTeFaireF*****Bay.

I'm embarrassed to say, but my invoice is now $552. Insane, I know.

As far as getting a part time job, I am looking for ANYTHING right now. Have been for several months, especially since my unemployment benefits just recently ran out (I was laid off in late December). I am looking both in my field and something (anything) part time. Nothing yet...

I'm so sorry to hear a out your financial problems. Have you tried calling up their customer service to work out some sort of payment plan? I know Ebay customer service sucks but you have to try so that they aren't long lasting financial implications. As far as to whether you should suspend selling until you catch up it depends. It helps you pay your bills but you are getting further and further in debt to Ebay. If you suspend selling on Ebay until you can get caught up with their bill will you still be able to pay your necessary living expenses? If so then maybe so that you don't get further in debt it's for the best temporarily. Either way keep your head up. One thing I've learned is that stressing has never really helped. I don't think better when I'm stressed and it just makes the situation worse. Sit down and rationally think of each possibility and the possible repercussions of taking that path. The path you choose may not be one that magically fixes everything but it will give you a direction to hopefully start to make things better. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your kind and supportive words. I really appreciate it. I never even once thought about calling eBay and discussing some sort of payment option with them. I just assumed they wouldn't work with you on that sort of thing. I guess it's worth a shot. The worst they could say is Nope, not until the fees are paid in full—which is a possibility.

It is confusing because it seems every time we're short for a week, I'll do really well in sales and it always, always helps us out. But take that much money in one lump sum, I think my husband would shoot me. :smash:

I guess that's something he and I will have to discuss in depth.