Canadian buyer refuses to clear LV through customs

Lady_J

Lady_J
O.G.
Aug 14, 2009
I could really use some help guys. I sent an item I sold on Ebay tracked delivery to Canada. The buyer emailed yesterday with a scanned delivery notice stating she had to pay customs charges to clear the item.

She was furious that I hadn't lied on the customs form about the value and said I should have advised her that some duties woud be incurred - I thought this was obvious?? I didn't put anything about customs in my listing and now she is wanting to send the item back at my own cost.

I feel like I have 2 options;

Do nothing and let the item get sent back to the UK, then she will leave negative feedback destroying my 100% rating, I might also incur customs charges on the way back.

Or offer to reimburse her some money so she can clear it through customs and have the LV.

Do other TPF'ers have any advice. I am so annoyed and disheartened by the whole experience.

Best Wishes
Jasmine

If she doesnt want it then wait until it's returned to you. Even if you offer to pay the buyer could still neg you. Personally I don't like being held to ransom over feedback.

If it gets returned to sender I don't think you pay postage/customs on it.

Hi guys,

No she is refusing to pay the customs fees, it is held in a depot by Canada Post. Yes she paid by Paypal. My other concern is if the item gets returned to me; a) what if it gets lost on the way back? b) will she then open a dispute stating item was not received and then Paypal will freeze the funds?

I am never selling designer goods on Ebay again =(

I hate seeing posts like this because they give international buyers such a bad name. Customs are the buyer's responsibility. Both to be aware about and to pay. Even though some sellers agree to undervalue an item, many don't. For a buyer to assume that a seller will do this and then be "furious" because a seller didn't is inexcusable.

I would not offer to reimburse her any of the customs fees. If she doesn't pick up the item it will get returned to you. Upon receipt of the return, I would refund the selling price, less the shipping charges. Because it is a refused package, you could get stuck with shipping charges both ways. If she were to file a claim, I don't know how ebay would rule on the shipping.

She is 100% wrong on this but I would try and remain polite in your dealings with her - it may help avoid a neg. In the future, it is a good idea to mark specifically in your auction that you will not undervalue an item.

I agree...Its all on her! She should be responsible for the customs fees...

I would pre-empt a paypal claim by calling them and letting them know what's going on!

I have tried to contact Canada Post and Paypal but keep getting sent round in circles. Does anybody have a link to Paypal's customer service department, either a number or an email addy? I hate these automated "online helper" things.

What happens if I wait and the parcel doesn't get returned to me, lost in transit. Ebay will still rule to give her a refund and I will be £££ out of pocket =( This is the worst case scenario that I am dreading.

does she live on the moon? how has she never heard of foreign customs?

she can neg you but right now I think you can have it removed by ebay? I mean, it clearly states in the item location that you´re in the UK, doesnt it? totally her fault.

Btw, let her know that the form you filled out doesnt mean anything to foreign customs, if it´s a larger package they would have kept it anyway and have her bring the copy of the ebay purchase for item value confirmation.

how stupid of her...

I have tried to contact Canada Post and Paypal but keep getting sent round in circles. Does anybody have a link to Paypal's customer service department, either a number or an email addy? I hate these automated "online helper" things.

What happens if I wait and the parcel doesn't get returned to me, lost in transit. Ebay will still rule to give her a refund and I will be £££ out of pocket =( This is the worst case scenario that I am dreading.

It could get lost but it probably won't. If you log into your Paypal account you will find the customer service number. I get 888-221-1161 but it may be a different number in the UK.

Did the buyer say how much customs are owing? What, if anything, is the buyer expecting you to do now.

I have just spoken to Paypal and they advised me that if the buyer opens a case, they will review the details and not rule in her favour unless there is a delivery notice stating it has been returned to me...phew.

She also said that usually, if the buyer doesn't pay the customs the item gets destroyed!!!!! It's an LV azur purse :sad:

I am waiting for a breakdown of the customs invoice from the buyer, the charges are excessive and I think there has been some sort of error on the part of Canada Post. Hopefully if she prints out the Paypal transaction and appeals the charges they will drop the charges. Fingers crossed!

^^I hope this ends well, it would be awful if the bag gets destroyed. At least you got some reassurance that they will rule in your favour! (which is normal since it is def the buyer's fault, however, if customs made a mistake I can imagine the costs being super high!!)

Please put the blurb about customs charges in your listings. Then if the buyer negs you over customs fees (states it in the comments) ebay will remove the negative. You must have an acceptable remark in your listing in a prominent place.

Did you check the box to return it to sender in case of non-delivery?

I have just spoken to Paypal and they advised me that if the buyer opens a case, they will review the details and not rule in her favour unless there is a delivery notice stating it has been returned to me...phew.

She also said that usually, if the buyer doesn't pay the customs the item gets destroyed!!!!! It's an LV azur purse :sad:

I am waiting for a breakdown of the customs invoice from the buyer, the charges are excessive and I think there has been some sort of error on the part of Canada Post. Hopefully if she prints out the Paypal transaction and appeals the charges they will drop the charges. Fingers crossed!

I don't think this is true. I believe if customs are refused, the bag is returned to sender. I have heard threads about customs threatening to destroy a bag if it is fake but that is not the case here.

How much are the customs charges? If they're nominal, then why not offer to pay half of them for her, cut your losses and prevent your feedback from being screwed with?

Just my two cents. :smile: