Canada Club

Coach+Louislove

Ducks for the Cup!
O.G.
Aug 4, 2008
I didn't see a thread like this, but if there is already one then please let me know!

Ok, so I know there's a few of us Canadians on this forum so I am starting this Club Canada thread!
Talk about anything Canadian (stores, resturants, culture, music, etc etc), set the record straight on some of those Canadian stereotypes! No, we don't live in igloos.. at least I don't haha, or talk about anything Canadian!

Anyway, carry on the Canadian conversation!

I'm from Canada.. I think the Winter Olympics opening ceremony included all the Canadian stereotypes and showcased that to the world. My online friend from the UK was talking to me while we were both watching it live, and she seriously asked me if that was what Vancouver was like. :sweatdrop:

^I know!!! I was thinking it's just filled with big sheets of ice and we don't go around flying over wheatfields - I've never even seen a wheatfield in my life! The ceremony was okay but I wished they got more artists who didn't decide to live in the US after they made it big. It would've been nice if they had mostly just musicians who are well-known in Canada than rather big international stars.

Though I will say living far away from Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Calgary there isn't a lot of fashion going on in Canada. Forever21 and Guess is the cream of high fashion here.

Last edited:
Though I will say living far away from Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Calgary there isn't a lot of fashion going on in Canada. Forever21 and Guess is the cream of high fashion here.

True. I suppose you can find a lot of things online, but I'm too afraid of customs/brokerage fees etc.

I feel like we don't have a lot of mid-range stores in Canada...I can't afford to shop at Holt Renfrew all the time and mall stores don't really cut it sometimes. I also wish that Winners was more like the discount stores in the States.

:yes: I totally agree that we are lacking in shops. I usually buy my clothes from Aritzia or Zara, but their quality isn't the best. I'm lucky that I live 2 hours away from Seattle, so I do all my clothing purchases there!

Yeah, Aritzia does not have the best quality. I got a Talula wool coat for Christmas that I had to return for store credit because the lining developed two giant holes. The buttons were pretty loose too.

Did anyone win anything playing Roll up the Rim? Tim Hortons has this really funny commercial where two guys do all the stereotypical Canadian things like dog sledding and ice hockey.

I only won twice and it was coffee two times! Each time I roll up the rim in class, my students would be cheering me on - they know I need a new car bad! lol

Feel lucky that you even have those stores. I live in the middle of nowhere where the most thrilling store is American Eagle. Online shopping all the way for me!

Wow what a nice thread :smile: I'm from Toronto, currrently a student.

I won a donut with the Tim Hortons thing but never ended up getting it.. I must say the French Vanilla is the best thing from Tim's.

I must agree, people in Canada's style is definitely lacklustre..

I love this thread! I'm from Toronto. I agree with all of you that Canada is lacking in style and stores! Believe me, it's due to the cold winter weather. I'm always wearing a coat, jacket and boots of some sort.

I only won a coffee from the roll up the rim to win =(

I thought the opening ceremony for the winter olympics was lame. Sooo many stereotypes. I even noticed caucasion people dressed up as Aboriginals. I felt sorry for them when they were constantly dancing...

I won two coffees and a donut from roll up. Somebody from the one I go to though won a laptop!

ETA:

I think that the ceremonies were very well done. The white people dancing with the Natives may have been Metis.

I think that in regards to the Native American factor, we were damned if we did and damned if we didn't.

Last edited:
The weather is still pretty lousy here - too cold for the end of April. I want to start wearing my dresses and sandals!

Bradysmum said:
I think that in regards to the Native American factor, we were damned if we did and damned if we didn't.

True but I just wish they didn't focus soooo long on it. The topic at my workplace after the Opening Ceremony was that Ontario was completely ignored.

Swe3tGirl: At least you're from TO so you can visit designer boutiques - though they're probably more expensive than the US. I'm lucky that it doesn't take my a long time go across the border to do some shopping.

Something that's very Canadian is extraordinarily high taxes! Who's freaking out over the soon to be harmonized taxes in July?