Can you waterproof shoes???

ShopAddikt

Must-not-shop
O.G.
Jan 19, 2009
NYC
Sorry if this is a n00b question but recently Ive picked up a couple pairs of satin/suede shoes. Im petrified of wearing them and getting them wet but whats the point of having shoes that cant be worn?! Is there anyway to safeguard them from stains?

Nico3327

Jun 5, 2009
Philly Philly
I don't know about satin, but suede can be protected to a certain point. Apple Garde makes a spray for suede that I think makes it water resistant (not water-proof).

bagdoll

O.G.
Feb 13, 2008
I use Kenneth Cole Shoe,Handbag & Apparel Spray for my leather, suede, satin, canvas etc shoes and handbags. Works great - no staining.

Nico3327

Jun 5, 2009
Philly Philly
And the spray wont leave stains or watermarks when I apply it?
If there are any darker areas they should fade within a day or two. As long as you use it according to the directions (i.e. mist the shoes a certain number of inches away) you should have no problems with staining.

There's a couple of threads in the forum about Apple Garde specifically. If you do a search you'll be able to get much more info on it.

venusfly

Quality not Quantity. Less can be more!
O.G.
Feb 10, 2007
New York City, USA
Yes, there are waterproof sprays that work relaatively well, although you may need to re-apply the spray every few months or so... I've waterproofed shoes and bags with them...