Can you use a leather moisturizer after waterproofing?

1. The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2019 is now open to the public! Please support TPF by using this link before shopping the sale.
    We're also giving away five more $200 gift cards during the duration of the NAS! Find out more...
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I bought the Coach leather cleaner and moisturizer yesterday, and Kiwi waterproofing spray today, but I'm not sure how to use the spray with the other two.

Once I use a waterproofing spray, can I just use the cleaner and moisturizer as usual? Or do I have to re-waterproof each time I clean/moisturize?

(I'm actually not using the products on a handbag, but on a high-end thick leather notebook cover. It's dyed red and "veg-tanned" and dyed with the "pit method," whatever that is. Unfortunately, it's imported and I can't figure out what care products are compatable, so I know I'm taking a chance, but I'll try the products on a tiny spot inside first before I go whole-hog. However, first I need to understand the general principles of using the products).

2. After using the waterproofing spray, I would still continue using the cleaner and moisturiser. However, since it's a book, I wouldn't use the waterproofing spray that often, since I assume it will be more protected than a bag that you carry around outdoors.

3. Thank you so much! :smile:

4. Yes, you need to re-apply both. I use spray every half a year on my bags and moisturize them with gel whenever it's needed (every 3 months or when leather gets dry and not super supple like it should be).

5. I'm a new member here so I'm just now seeing this thread. I have had the exact same question and now I have the answer! Thanks so much for the info. I'm very happy to have found this site.

6. Newbie here! I am prepping a new bag would you apply waterproofing then conditioner, or conditioner first then waterproof over it?

7. Condition first, then waterproof.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice