Can you tell a real speedy from a fake?

trumanfinn

O.G.
Jul 31, 2009
I had my brand new mono speedy at the zoo today (trying to get some sun on the vachetta)- and I saw a very classy lady with a gorgeous LV tote of some sort. I was admiring her bag, and she kind of glanced at mine and did a little smirk with an eyeroll.

I'm 100% certain that it was "Oh, another fake speedy" lol.

Now I'm feeling a little insecure about it...I mean, does everyone assume it's fake? If you see someone strolling along with a LV, can you tell if it's real or fake?

I can usually tell...I also saw a HORRENDOUS fake petit bucket at the zoo today.. I don't know...was just wondering.

:P

I can usually tell a fake... I know mine is real. In Los Angeles there are a lot of real LV's so I don't think most people assume that they are fake right away

I had my brand new mono speedy at the zoo today (trying to get some sun on the vachetta)- and I saw a very classy lady with a gorgeous LV tote of some sort. I was admiring her bag, and she kind of glanced at mine and did a little smirk with an eyeroll.

I'm 100% certain that it was "Oh, another fake speedy" lol.

Now I'm feeling a little insecure about it...I mean, does everyone assume it's fake? If you see someone strolling along with a LV, can you tell if it's real or fake?

I can usually tell...I also saw a HORRENDOUS fake petit bucket at the zoo today.. I don't know...was just wondering.

:P

It really gets me when people automatically think that an LV is a fake. Case in point, this woman. You were carrying an authentic Speedy and she's arrogant enough to smirk at you when she obviously can't tell the difference between authentic and fake. On the other hand, some people carry LV solely for the "snob" factor. She may have been one of those, and because she may have been carrying one of LV's very expensive bags ( you mentioned that it was a gorgeous tote), she may look down on anyone who carries what some people consider an entry level LV such as the Speedy. (No offense meant, I have two Speedies, mono and damier and love them). I'm just trying to figure out why some people have to "dis" others for no good reason.

I can not tell. It is sad but true.
I am sure folks think my French Co Speedy is fake. There is a thread on this topic.

But I think my Speedy is FAB, so who cares . . . . .

With so many styles and so many years of production I suppose even the new ones are suspect.

Sometimes I can tell...I'm sure I've been wrong either way before since I'm by no means close to being an expert.

It was rude of her to roll her eyes at you regardless!

Maybe you were staring at her LV for too long? LOL Not saying you deserved the eye roll even if you were all out drooling over hers! I was at Target the other day and this girl was staring at my Speedy and after she was long gone I said to my dh "damn take a picture it'll last longer!" Of course, he was clueless! And like you, I thought that she thought mine was a fake because she was staring and her expression on her face wasn't pleasant looking!

Either way, we both know our Speedy's are real and that's all that matters!

Some fakes are very noticeable, while some are very very good imitations. I can tell to a certain degree IF I can closely examine it. However just by looking from a distance of more than 5 feet, no I can't tell unless it's so badly imitated.

It's still rude of her to give you the eye rolls. But some people are just plain rude and it has nothing to do with the authenicity of your handbag.

I can usually tell a real from fake. But, some people also look down their noses at Speedy's because they consider them entry level. So, who knows why she gave you the smirk.

Either way, I love Speedy's. Currently only have a Mono 30. Wouldn't mind having one in each pattern. And, I'm always dressed very casual. Don't worry about her. Enjoy your bag. :biggrin:

I can differentiate between an authentic LV from a counterfeit.

I could careless if people thought my LV's were fake. I know they are real and that's all that matters.

I can usually tell a real from a fake as well. There's always a little something unusual about the fakes, ie thicker handles, thicker piping along the bag, or logo doesn't line up etc.

As far as why that woman gave you a smirk, maybe she can't tell the difference between a real and a fake and assume yours is fake.

How is this zoo attire??? I just don't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumanfinn View Post
Maybe it was because I coupled my LV with Birkensotcks...lol, while she was strolling the zoo in a great skirt and peekaboo pumps.

I was thinking the same thing. I would always wear shorts and a t shirt when I would go to the zoo. I like to feel comfy.:P