Can YOU spot a fake?

Justmeuc

Apr 28, 2008
This morning a lady showed me her Damier speedy and asked me if I could tell if it was real or not. I couldn't. She told me it was a "high end" fake and that no way was she going to spend the money on a real one when no one could tell the difference anyway.

I started to go into the reasons I don't want to carry fakes but decided why bother... either someone cares or they don't. But, I was wondering how many people here can actually spot a fake? Especially speedy's?

I was asked this the other day and I feel like I can spot them pretty well. This is true for LV only because I know the most about LV and I own the most LV from other brands. I see so many fakes at school, but not so much around town in Atlanta or Buckhead. Usualyl the hardware or Vachetta gives it away or the general proportions of the bag.

Yeah, I can spot a fake LV. Usually if you own the bag, its easy to spot a replica of it because you just know what the real thing looks like. Speedy's are usually a dead giveaway. Especially where I live, the fakes are horrible and obviously made.

From the many things I have learned from tPf, most of the time I can.
But with really good fakes, probably not. <- I mean, the ones you have to check the inside of and you can't just go to a stranger and say "May I check the inside of your bag?" LOL.

But my friend allowed me to check the inside, after claiming it was real ...
Turns out it wasn't.

From the many things I have learned from tPf, most of the time I can.
But with really good fakes, probably not. <- I mean, the ones you have to check the inside of and you can't just go to a stranger and say "May I check the inside of your bag?" LOL.

I learnt a lot from here and I work in a store, most of the times I am not secure I look when the clients open the bag for take the wallet or something LMAO

Today a client come with a fake Speedy and I recognize at first sight and my boss was surprised I knew that LOL

the stiches are the most important give aways qhen it comes to LV, they just simply do perfect stitches, not a single error, perfect proportion between them, and a very straight line in all cases. The letters are also important, the letter O should be totally rounded just like a perfect circle, and the R on the top must be pretty small compare to the rest of the letters, as well as the space between them. As far as i know there are many small but important thing that can give a fake bag away,, so pay attention.

Yeah, I can spot a fake LV. Usually if you own the bag, its easy to spot a replica of it because you just know what the real thing looks like. Speedy's are usually a giveaway. Especially where I live, the are horrible and obviously made.

Agree! I can usually spot a fake too unless it's a very uncommon limited edition piece that's very well-made :P I think fake bags with vachetta are pretty easy to spot. The unscrupulous merchants always claim that no one can tell the difference with their six- or seven-star replicas, but that is so untrue!! I'd feel so inferior carrying a fake...just not worth the risk! :nogood:

I can spot most of them, especially speedies because some of them are horrible fakes. I've also done research on tpf and learned a lot on how to spot fakes. This place is a good resource!

Last edited:
I'm only good at spotting the fakes when it's clearly a bag style that LV has NEVER EVER made before.
If it's a replica of a bag that was made but has added stuff like brass FEET :Push:
But to answer your question....
I can spot real bad fakes.

I can. My BF will always ask me if we see one out in public. Usually the big giveaway is the vachetta. On fakes it stays uniform color.
I can also tell if the size is different. Like with speedies. I have seen fakes in sizes that LV doesn't make. Usually the patterns don't line up great or there is some other major detail missing. The fakes look more plastic like.
If I couldn't afford to buy a real $1000 bag I would either get a vintage bag that was alot cheaper, get a small LV piece like a coin purse or pochette, or just buy a no-name bag.
I have other bags that are no-name that I use them for going to the beach or while travelling. I get compliments on them too.

I also see alot of fake Chanels and sometimes Balenciaga. They all scream at me fake.

They are getting better and better with the LV fakes and some of them are so good even from up close its hard to tell them apart and I find myself staring at the bag, surveying the edges etc...LOL but there's a million and one reasons I do not support counterfeit merchandise and child labor is just one. I take pride in knowing my bag is real even if no one else thinks so.

I can tell on a lot of the mono's but not all of them. Touching the handles on speedy usually does it for me but I don't think I would ask random people if I could touch their handles lol.

Justmeuc~ I agree that some of the fakes do look real. I think it is often difficult to tell the difference when a fake is first made. Usually it is apparent that it is a fake once someone starts using the bag, b/c the quality is terrible, especially in comparison to a real LV.

Most people who carry fakes do so b/c they don't want to spend the money on a real bag. Sometimes I wonder, with the obvious poor quality of fakes, if it really IS any cheaper buying these fakes, if they are only usable as a purse for a couple weeks or so. In the end, is it really cheaper to pay $40 for a fake and use it for 2 weeks, or is is actually MORE afforable to buy a $700 authentic speedy and use it for 10 years!