Can you recoat a Chanel Boy Calfskin?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi guys, I own nothing but caviar Chanel because I love the durability. I have recently fallen in love with a shiny smooth coated leather black boy bag. It's so stunning and I want to buy it BUT I am so scared about hairline scratches. I want this to be a bag I wear often. IF I do get a lot of scratches, can I get the bag recoated at a professional leather shop? Has anyone done that before? What's your experience?

2. #2 Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to recoat caviar leather? My chanel jumbo in beige clair in caviar leather is peeling and would like to know if I can fix that.
    Thanks

3. I have had a couple chanel bags repainted/recolored. I'll be honest despite being able to renew my bags that way due to flaws that cannot be repaired any other way, one problem I had was the leather becoming slightly stiff and kinda plasticky to touch. I would miss the soft lambskin feel of the bag, caviar maybe not so much.
    However I do think it depends on how good the person doing the recolor, I have seen blotchy job before and that is scary.

PetiteAsian likes this.
  4. can i ask where you had your bags repainted/recolored? was it at the chanel store or a private leather store? were you happy with the results? TIA :smile:

5. Leather surgeons. They have a fantastic track record and they've recreated the entire re-dyeing process so that the new color does not crack, peel, etc. Still doesn't feel like the original store-bought leather but it's the closest to it.