Can you really get scammed in department stores ?

Most people are already going to have the fake bag if they are going to try a switcheroo. The buy the real bag and get a receipt with it. Then they switch the real bag for the fake bag and use the original receipt from the real bag when they return the fake. So fake bag but a real receipt. If the person accepting the return is not knowledgeable enough to tell the difference between the real bag and the fake bag, it is definitely possible for a fake bag to be returned. That is why I think it is less likely to happen at higher end boutiques/high end department stores as the sales associates there are usually a bit more familiar with the products that they sell then someone at TJ Max, Marshalls, etc.

Cool thanks for explaining but sad I have now to
Some TJ Max and Marshalls do sell high end...usually the stores in bigger cities. They also sell high end items online. I would definitely get any high end item from them authenticated though to be on the safe side. Same with Saks Off 5th, Nordstrom Rack, etc. I would rather pay the few dollars extra to get it authenticated from an outside source then to have paid hundreds for a fake bag.

That’s interesting to know. That some stores like those sell a few high end bags.

I’ve never bought a purse there though, All my bags are from department stores. It’s either Macy’s Nordstrom, Bloomingdales or a department store in my country which is called Palacio de Hierro.
All my bags are contemporary designers so if I ever got a fake one at least I didn’t pay thousands on it. The problem here is it feels weird asking to authenticate a Michael Kors bag.

I’m sure they would say what hell who cares who authenticate a 200 bag when most People go for a Fendi or LV.

Yes, you can get scammed by department stores. Refer to this thread:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/fake-fendi-peekaboo-sold-by-neiman-marcus.1014705/

It’s best to buy directly from the brand boutique, and even then I try to request a brand new bag from the warehouse.

Thanks so much for the Tip. To always go to the brand boutique.

and what if the brand belongs to a department store. ?

In Mexico the Michael Kors brand comes exclusively from El Palacio de Hierro which is a huge chain of department stores actually our most important department store. So if you go to An MK boutique it’s still buying from that department store.

Cool thanks for explaining but sad I have now to

That’s interesting to know. That some stores like those sell a few high end bags.

I’ve never bought a purse there though, All my bags are from department stores. It’s either Macy’s Nordstrom, Bloomingdales or a department store in my country which is called Palacio de Hierro.
All my bags are contemporary designers so if I ever got a fake one at least I didn’t pay thousands on it. The problem here is it feels weird asking to authenticate a Michael Kors bag.

I’m sure they would say what hell who cares who authenticate a 200 bag when most People go for a Fendi or LV.

I know that the Coach board here has some people who do authenticity. I would assume the same is true for the Michaek Kors board, Now these are not paid authenticators, just people very familiar with the brands who can usually tell a real bag from a fake bag.

I know that the Coach board here has some people who do authenticity. I would assume the same is true for the Michaek Kors board, Now these are not paid authenticators, just people very familiar with the brands who can usually tell a real bag from a fake bag.

Cool thanks. maybe I’d try to get the ones I have authenticated because I’m not sure if it’s worth it to pay to authenticate these two.

Can I ask to do it with fashion file or they only do it to high end bags ?
and how much it costs on fashion file or the real real

I have seen posts here about getting fake bags from legitimate stores. but if you're buying a bag that isn't very expensive - something like MK or RM - and if you're familiar with the brand and the price is right, I think the small risk is worth it. When you're talking about a bag that retails for $1,000+ and you're paying $500 or more for it at TJ Maxx, maybe not worth the risk.

I have seen posts here about getting fake bags from legitimate stores. but if you're buying a bag that isn't very expensive - something like MK or RM - and if you're familiar with the brand and the price is right, I think the small risk is worth it. When you're talking about a bag that retails for $1,000+ and you're paying $500 or more for it at TJ Maxx, maybe not worth the risk.

Yeah that’s true. It’s not that much of a risk with mid tier brands, I love those but yeah it’s less traumatic getting a fake from one of those brands than paying thousands for a fake LV

Reactions: sdkitty
Not worth worrying about or discussing. There’s also a chance you could win the lottery. Life is too short to worry about what could happen. Just buy and enjoy.
I don't necessarily agree. I agree that it is highly unlikely to get a fake from the boutique or a high end department store. It has happened but is very rare. However, if you were looking to buy a bag from a discounter (TJ Max, Saks Off 5th, etc) then I would definitely be more cautious. They don't use the same sources for their bags as the high end stores do and some of those scources have scammed these stores. Saks Off 5th got into trouble for selling fake Burberry bags because their supplier was less than honest. If I was buying a high end bag from a discount store, I would likely get it authenticated as it only costs a few dollars. I probably would not worry for Michael Kors, etc as they are less likely to be faked then the high end bags but they do get faked also. The discount stores is where you really have to keep an eye out.

I don't necessarily agree. I agree that it is highly unlikely to get a fake from the boutique or a high end department store. It has happened but is very rare. However, if you were looking to buy a bag from a discounter (TJ Max, Saks Off 5th, etc) then I would definitely be more cautious. They don't use the same sources for their bags as the high end stores do and some of those scources have scammed these stores. Saks Off 5th got into trouble for selling fake Burberry bags because their supplier was less than honest. If I was buying a high end bag from a discount store, I would likely get it authenticated as it only costs a few dollars. I probably would not worry for Michael Kors, etc as they are less likely to be faked then the high end bags but they do get faked also. The discount stores is where you really have to keep an eye out.
I was wrong. Saks Off 5th was selling fake Fendi bags though they might have had fake Burberry too. And they didn't just sell a few fake Fendi bags. They sold alot of them.

That’s fine. OP said department stores. I’ve been buying many many years. I just can’t worry about what might happen or could happen. Obviously I’m careful where I purchase. But if I walk into a department store I don’t have any anxiety over whether I’m buying a fake. I just can’t worry about it. I got enough other things to deal with.

Reactions: coral8789
This issue of buying a fake from a reputable luxury department store has crossed my mind.

At my last purchase at Nordstrom-Chanel, there was only one SA. Not sure if there's normally more, but this was late on a weeknight. She was helping me and then someone came in to return a classic flap. NO questions were asked and the SA processed the return in a matter of minutes. I didn't look closely but from what I saw, the customer brought it back in the black box.

I asked the SA if they put it back on the floor right away, and she said it goes through an inspection process first. Who knows if this is true but I was shocked how easy and quick the return was.

This issue of buying a fake from a reputable luxury department store has crossed my mind.

At my last purchase at Nordstrom-Chanel, there was only one SA. Not sure if there's normally more, but this was late on a weeknight. She was helping me and then someone came in to return a classic flap. NO questions were asked and the SA processed the return in a matter of minutes. I didn't look closely but from what I saw, the customer brought it back in the black box.

I asked the SA if they put it back on the floor right away, and she said it goes through an inspection process first. Who knows if this is true but I was shocked how easy and quick the return was.
Can you imagine how angry you would be though if you were unhappy with a Chanel bag you just dropped $5k on, went to return it to Nordstrom, and they made you wait so they could make sure the bag you just bought the other day and have every right to return is authentic? It makes sense to do a speedy return and then verify authenticity afterwards, since they already have your information in the system.

Can you imagine how angry you would be though if you were unhappy with a Chanel bag you just dropped $5k on, went to return it to Nordstrom, and they made you wait so they could make sure the bag you just bought the other day and have every right to return is authentic? It makes sense to do a speedy return and then verify authenticity afterwards, since they already have your information in the system.
From Nordstrom's perspective though, even if they have your info in the system, is it likely that someone would respond to them if they intentionally returned a fake purse and Nordstrom then started calling / emailing etc? If I was a customer, I would completely understand if they took under 10mins to process my return to review authenticity. This makes me, as a returning customer, know that if I ever buy a bag that was returned to them - it is in fact authentic.