can you rank the following: cartier,tiffany,vca,graff, harry Winston, debeers?

Just to note, a wide variety of color (D-J) or clarity (Fl-SI) does not have anything to do with cut quality which is what will make or break the diamond's performance. Everyone has their own preference for those characteristics and it does not necessarily mean Graff sells less quality diamonds.

Same for the cut, I was looking for a 2ct D VVS1/2 grade, but they couldn't find any with triple excellent cut grade. I think the stock level is just very limited in the US. May be have to place a special order.

Would like to revive this thread.

Initially I though Graff and Harry Winston are both at the top, somewhat equally. But after visiting the Graff store for an engagement ring, I found that they carry a much wider range, the color went all the way down to J and the clarity went all the way down to SI. And they have very limited selections in the United States.

So my ranking would be:

1. Harry Winston
2. Tiffany
3. Cartier
4. Graff

I did not visit VCA or Debeers for engagement rings, but I did buy a diamond band from Debeers years ago and it is the number one diamond supplier.

I'm not sure if the Swatch take over of Harry Winston 2 years ago had any effect on the brand value of Harry Winston, any thoughts?

Just to note, a wide variety of color (D-J) or clarity (Fl-SI) does not have anything to do with cut quality which is what will make or break the diamond's performance. Everyone has their own preference for those characteristics and it does not necessarily mean Graff sells less quality diamonds.
Totally agree!
An excellent/ideal cut will hide a multitude of other sins!

Totally agree!
An excellent/ideal cut will hide a multitude of other sins!

Totally agree, too!!:biggrin:

I don't need to advocate for Graff:P, but in Europe and other countries, perhaps except America?, Graff is located in prestigious, top-notch hotels, such as Hôtel de Paris Monte-Carlo. They mainly focus on and sell large diamonds. Their customers do not buy large/huge diamonds based on 4Cs. They just pick beautiful ones.:smile: Cartier don't care much about the cut, either, which does not mean they are inferior to other brands who focus on the cut.

Reactions: celine666666
1. GRAFF- very exclusive I do not think I know a person that owns any Graff pieces or even know of the house.
2. Harry Winston
3. Van Cleef and Arpels
4. Cartier
5. DeBeers
6. Tiffany
I agree. Graff is at the top of any list of jewellery houses. I don't know about their representation in the US but their location on Bond street is perhaps the most luxurious jewellery experience I have ever had, which includes all the others except Harry Winston. Not that I bought anything. To be honest, I probably couldn't afford to pay them a compliment. They are in a whole other league.

I just wanted to ask you all if Kwiat is among this list?

I am looking to update my engagement ring for my 15th anniversary. When we were engaged, we were residents, made very little money. He surprised me by buying the ring. I don't remember the specs, but it is a little over a 1 carat solitaire from Tiffany's.

For me, the brand is important, I'm not sure why. I really don't want to go unsupervised in the diamond district in NYC (where we live). I think that I'm interested in moving away from Tiffany's for now.

I am interested in 2 1/2 or 3 carat, emerald cut. Saw the cushion and radiant cut at Kwiat--could be interested in those cuts as well.

Could anyone help me out with respect to looking at other houses? If the budget was about 35K-50K--which brands should I be focusing on?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Would like to revive this thread.

Initially I though Graff and Harry Winston are both at the top, somewhat equally. But after visiting the Graff store for an engagement ring, I found that they carry a much wider range, the color went all the way down to J and the clarity went all the way down to SI. And they have very limited selections in the United States.

So my ranking would be:

1. Harry Winston
2. Tiffany
3. Cartier
4. Graff

I did not visit VCA or Debeers for engagement rings, but I did buy a diamond band from Debeers years ago and it is the number one diamond supplier.

that's not a fair review. that's because graff doesn't focus on bridal collection, but rather promotes high jewellery, expensive jewellery for the rich and famous rather than your every day enagement purchased by upper middle class.

i'm sure they do more custom orders and upwards of millions$$

If it's specifically regarding engagement rings, my ranking would be:

1. Graff
2. Harry Winston
3. Tiffany
4. Cartier
5. De Beers
6. Van Cleef

VCA has spectacular fine jewelry, but the engagement rings? They're quite ugly and very limited in selection in my opinion... And the fact that VCA advertises its white gold collections such as the Fleurette, Socrate, and perlee as viable engagement ring options?! It's very weird to me. Like, obviously, I love VCA, but they seriously don't have much when it comes to their engagement rings, which look more like statement jewelry. Also, not many options for colored diamonds. All I can say is that I think it would be very strange if I knew someone with a VCA engagement ring.

De Beers is more known as a diamond supplier than a diamond retailer, which is why I don't give it a higher ranking. Plus, I feel that its history as a monopoly has always tainted it with a pejorative context. Still, they're probably better known for having a role in proposals than VCA.

I put Cartier just ever so slightly below Tiffany when it comes to engagement rings. Of course, Cartier watches and high jewelry are exceptional, but I know people who worked at Cartier, and they tell me that Cartier is much less eponymous with engagement rings than Tiffany, which I absolutely agree with. The fact that Cartier actually made a love and trinity engagement ring for its client base really says a lot... To me, it's in the same vein as people who shop for Louis Vuitton engagement rings.

Tiffany is probably the most well-known when it comes to diamond engagement rings, with the Tiffany setting especially. There are lots of styles to choose from, and none of them look too "forced." I also think that it's probably what most people aspire to have when it comes to their dream ring. Also, buying a Tiffany engagement ring wouldn't raise any eyebrows, compared to someone who buys a Cartier love engagement ring. Tiffany also carries an inventory of yellow, pink, blue, green, purple, and orange diamonds that can be specially requested. This year, I learned that Tiffany is selling the one-and-only red diamond it's ever acquired. This red diamond has sat unmounted in a vault for several years, but they finally made a setting for it. Red diamonds are the absolute rarest gemstone in the world. The only other luxury jeweler I know of which has acquired a red diamond is Graff. The thing that drags Tiffany down is its accessibility. Tiffany stores are pretty much everywhere, and the entry cost to get into the brand is low.

Harry Winston is above Tiffany, which I think is self-explanatory.

Graff is above Harry Winston, just based on the fact that Graff offers so many incredible and unique stones. For instance, you can purchase a diamond (D, IF, 7.70 ct) cut out of the Lesidi La Rona as an engagement ring for $1.1 million. Graff is especially known as a purveyor of legendary and one-of-a-kind gems (e.g. the Graff Pink) so to me it makes sense that they're ranked number one.

Funny I was doing an internet search after reading JFK and saw this. Apparently Jackie Kennedy received a VCA from JFK ;)
Oh, I did not know that. I googled the ring, and unfortunately I can’t say that I like the design of it…

Yeah, I can definitely tell the VCA design elements. VCA engagement rings all seem to have that “heavier” look

9F26B1E0-C355-4393-B917-5D4DDF05EF1E.jpeg

Oh, I did not know that. I googled the ring, and unfortunately I can’t say that I like the design of it…

Yeah, I can definitely tell the VCA design elements. VCA engagement rings all seem to have that “heavier” look

View attachment 5212582
Her ring was designed in the 50’s and updated in the 60’s. I think is a lovely midcentury design consistent with an earlier era. There are elements of retro jewelry design from the 40’s as well, with obvious floral and swirl designs common in the 50’s. Larger and more cocktail style jewelry was more popular in these decades.

Her ring was designed in the 50’s and updated in the 60’s. I think is a lovely midcentury design consistent with an earlier era. There are elements of retro jewelry design from the 40’s as well, with obvious floral and swirl designs common in the 50’s. Larger and more cocktail style jewelry was more popular in these decades.
Agree. The aesthetics was different back then. Not that I am a fan...

I have a slightly different question here: which brand and type of jewelry holds up value better?

I'm asking because I started to think for my kids. We have only boys in the household, and there is a chance they will need to sell all I have eventually. (Let's for now ignore the dil element.) I understand these always change as time goes by, but is there a rough idea/rank?
I like some dior/chanel fine jewelry too. Will they hold up value somewhat? Should I buy 5x $20,000 items or one one substantial ring at $100,000?

Reactions: nicole0612