Can you mix hair dyes?

leeloo84

Jan 26, 2009
If anyone could help with this I'd be very grateful.

I can't find a dark brown semi that's as dark as I'd like, so I'm wondering whether I can mix one with a black semi...? I don't want to go to a professional, besides it being so expensive for a dark rinse I've actually never been happy with it (they're always too red).

Is this a really bad idea? :sneaky:

If anyone could help with this I'd be very grateful.

I can't find a dark brown semi that's as dark as I'd like, so I'm wondering whether I can mix one with a black semi...? I don't want to go to a professional, besides it being so expensive for a dark rinse I've actually never been happy with it (they're always too red).

Is this a really bad idea? :sneaky:

Pick a colour that is one shade darker than your target color. For example, if you want your target shade to be dark brown, select very dark brown. You can mix same brand colors together but this can be risky if you aren't experienced.

if you know what you're doing it's fine. i mix a brand called colourcreama to mix a medium blonde - you can mix their colours + and it comes information leaflet that tells me how much colour i need to use. (otherwise i'd have no idea) goodluck :}

Charm, alufolie, Nite Foxx, thank you so much for your answers. I'll definitely use the same brand and I'll test it out first on some hair in the bottom layers. Think I'll google that colourcreama too!

I stopped buying boxed haircolor and started mixing my own. I buy haircolor from a beauty supply store. The workers there are usually knowledgeable and helpful. If you know what you are doing, you'll be fine.

You`d better not do this unless the two colors dyes are the same brands.

^ Yes, I agree with that. I should mention that when you buy haircolor from a beauty supply store, you buy the color and developer to mix your own.

I don't know where you live, but I go to Sally's Beauty Supply for my hair coloring supplies.

Thank you for your advice girls :flowers:

BluMochi - I live in Australia, I'll have to settle for asking a Price Attack person and hope she has a clue.

I've been wanting to try this for ages but been too scared to, I don't know why they don't make darker browns I can't be the only person after this colour. I'll be taking the plunge this weekend!

I use Paul Mitchell the color and have downloaded charts on the ratios of the dye to get the color you desire. They also have this product called Color Shots. They're great for adding extra oomph. I use the red and LOVE it but they also have yellow, violet, and a couple others. If you are a novice, I would recommend going to Sally's and talking to one of the ladies there. Usually someone is knowledgeable there. I've used Wella from there and mixed the colors and was actually quite impressed by how long it took the red to fade. Just make sure you know how many levels you want to go down and what level your hair color is now. Will make the difference on what vol to buy. I have to use 30 on mine because I go 3 shades lighter.

Thanks so much shoeaddict, I googled the Color Shots, they look promising. We don't have Sally's in Australia unfortunately but hopefully I can find someone who knows what they're talking about. At least now I know to ask them about this developer business, I think I want to go 2 levels darker.

Charm, alufolie, Nite Foxx, thank you so much for your answers. I'll definitely use the same brand and I'll test it out first on some hair in the bottom layers. Think I'll google that colourcreama too!

Also take a small cutting from a non conspicuous area of the top layer of your hair, the hair is more porous there and might grab the color more rather than the bottom layers. Go darker gradually because if you go too dark it can take a while to correct it. Do your test and note down the exact quantities of the colors mixed, then if you want to do still darker you can adjust the quantities next time. For example, if you try half medium brown and a quarter very dark brown and this isn't enough, then try half and half at next coloring.

Thanks so much shoeaddict, I googled the Color Shots, they look promising. We don't have Sally's in Australia unfortunately but hopefully I can find someone who knows what they're talking about. At least now I know to ask them about this developer business, I think I want to go 2 levels darker.

If you want to go darker just use a 20. Only use 30 and 40 when going lighter.

If you have a beauty store there like Sally's you can find the colors like Wella. They're good to mix together and I find a lot of times you can get a richer color. Just make sure you use the same brand and formula! Paul Mitchel colors are absolutely amazing and that's the only color I would use the color shots with. You can PM me your email and I can send you the charts to look through. You can find Paul Mitchell the color on Ebay.

Hey Charm that's excellent advice, totally didn't occur to me. The reason I wanted to dye my hair in the first place is because the top layer has been bleached by the sun, so it would definitely absorb the colour more. I'm getting a hair cut first, I'll have to pocket a bit of the cut hair!

Shoeaddict I'll ask about both brands. PM'ing you.