Can you buy classic Coach styles from boutique?

Valeriee

O.G.
Jul 6, 2011
I really like the Stewardess bag; however I am a bit scared of the unlined interior. Can you still order these bags? I saw them in stores several years ago. Thank you.

If you go to the Clubhouse forum, there is a vintage Coach thread where those of us who enjoy vintage Coach, generally 20 years or older, extoll their virtues :smile: What is it about the unlined interior that scares you? Most of my Coach are unlined vintage, and I enjoy them.

Reactions: americandreaming
I've never had a problem with color or bits of suede rubbing off in any of my "true vintage" bags. By "true vintage" I mean the original Coaches made before 2001. There were a handful of leather styles using Coach's original leather dying process that were still being made in a few plants up until around 2006, but it's likely that almost anything made after that date used a different and less expensive dyeing process.

It's possible that some of the remakes, or a bag that's been poorly re-dyed, or something that's actually fake, might have a problem. But the process using aniline dyes to color the original classic and vintage full-grain leather bags shouldn't cause any problems. Any unlined leather bag that seems to be transferring color to items inside the bag should be asked about at the Authenticate This Coach thread. There have been a lot of color transfer problems from clothing to bags on newer styles (after 2000) but I don't think I've ever heard of any problem with a bag transferring color to clothing or contents unless the bag had been re-dyed or re-colored.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with color or bits of suede rubbing off in any of my "true vintage" bags. By "true vintage" I mean the original Coaches made before 2001. There were a handful of leather styles using Coach's original leather dying process that were still being made in a few plants up until around 2006, but it's likely that almost anything made after that date used a different and less expensive dyeing process.

It's possible that some of the remakes, or a bag that's been poorly re-dyed, or something that's actually fake, might have a problem. But the process using aniline dyes to color the original classic and vintage full-grain leather bags shouldn't cause any problems. Any unlined leather bag that seems to be transferring color to items inside the bag should be asked about at the Authenticate This Coach thread. There have been a lot of color transfer problems from clothing to bags on newer styles (after 2000) but I don't think I've ever heard of any problem with a bag transferring color to clothing or contents unless the bag had been re-dyed or re-colored.
My vintage glove tanned leather bags were purchased directly from the Coach store in the 90s and state they are Made in the USA - and - yes - the dye would come off on my light colored items

• Sad
I really like the Stewardess bag; however I am a bit scared of the unlined interior. Can you still order these bags? I saw them in stores several years ago. Thank you.
When I was at Coach House in February they had restored classics available specifically for their location. Once they reopen for business, I’m sure you’d be able to do a phone order. :smile:

My vintage glove tanned leather bags were purchased directly from the Coach store in the 90s and state they are Made in the USA - and - yes - the dye would come off on my light colored items

Did you ever post about it here asking if there was a solution? Maybe someone might have had some suggestions. Did you take the bags back to Coach for a refund, and what did they do? Back then they probably would have given you a full refund, at least they should have.

I wonder if anyone else had the same problem, that wouldn't be a good experience. Were you ever able to get the dye off? Did the dye on the outside come off on your clothes too?

Did you ever post about it here asking if there was a solution? Maybe someone might have had some suggestions. Did you take the bags back to Coach for a refund, and what did they do? Back then they probably would have given you a full refund, at least they should have.

I wonder if anyone else had the same problem, that wouldn't be a good experience. Were you ever able to get the dye off? Did the dye on the outside come off on your clothes too?
Well - it only came off on light colored items I had in my bags like pouches and papers and such so it was not really a big deal - I just made sure I did not put anything super precious in my bags - I am talking about things I had in there for months and months getting jostled around - I am going to get them out and carry them a while and if it happens again I will post here so you can see what I mean.

Well - it only came off on light colored items I had in my bags like pouches and papers and such so it was not really a big deal - I just made sure I did not put anything super precious in my bags - I am talking about things I had in there for months and months getting jostled around - I am going to get them out and carry them a while and if it happens again I will post here so you can see what I mean.

Thanks, maybe I've never noticed it with any of mine because I change my bags pretty often, it's rare for anything to be sitting in the same bag for more than two weeks at the most. But it's good to know, I have a few light-colored wallets that I would hate to see get damaged. Color transfer from clothes to a purse is something that's been mentioned here often and I'm really careful about, but the opposite is news to me. I could understand it happening with a cheaply made bag but not a Coach, it's something you'd think Coach would have known about.

Thanks again for the warning!

Thank you for your suggestions. I would love to own a classic Coach style such as the Stewardess bag, but am afraid of the suede inside rubbing off on contents - whether in terms of color transfer or particles. Can someone maybe suggest a style that came lined? Also, I heard that you can special order a classic style from Coach (I searched “Stewardess bag” on their website and this option came up). Would these new re-issues be made in USA? I may still get one despite being unlined - but would like it to be made in USA.

Thank you for your suggestions. I would love to own a classic Coach style such as the Stewardess bag, but am afraid of the suede inside rubbing off on contents - whether in terms of color transfer or particles. Can someone maybe suggest a style that came lined? Also, I heard that you can special order a classic style from Coach (I searched “Stewardess bag” on their website and this option came up). Would these new re-issues be made in USA? I may still get one despite being unlined - but would like it to be made in USA.

Coach doesn't make any bags (or any other items) in the US any more, and hasn't made them here for over 15 years. If you could specify the style number or can a specific page showing information about that Stewardess, it would help.

The term "classics" in Coach-speak can mean different things, the reconditioned true classic and vintage bags that were actually made 20 or more years ago could be made in the US or in 5 or 6 other countries. Bags that came off the assembly line mostly after 2000-2005 that Coach called Classics were probably made in Turkey or the Far East. If there were any bags made in the US after that date I'm not aware of it. Coach has used the term "classics" for all those different variations and a few after that. To quote Inigo Montoya, "I do not believe that word means what you think it means" - at least not to Coach.

Any time you're asking about a specific style especially if it's on Coach's website, it's a good idea to include links. Navigating that site can be a PITA at times.

I never thought about that. I always loved the soft suede interior...

Some of those true vintage interiors are shaggier than others. I've been watching what all my "bag stuff" looks like when I switch purses, and still haven't noticed any suede fuzz. But I've also been very careful about what kind of accessories I put inside the older leather bags - no light colored or vachetta leathers, no rougher-textured fabrics, etc. Of course there hasn't really been any chance in the last year to put mileage on the vintage ones either. Between Covid and the general grungy-ness of a Chicago winter, I've been carrying mostly my Kiplings and LeSportsacs during winter since they're easily washable if they get coughed on by some maskless nitwit or brush against a car covered in layers of filthy road salt.