Can we discuss longevity?

Interesting thread and quite informative as well... i agree with boxcalf withstanding years of use.. I mostly have box, togo , clemence and one epsom/ toile combo.... let's see if i will be lucky enough to own a chevre.. probably not though as i have slowed down significantly in my H sprees as busier with kids/ work.... but keep the thoughts/ knowledge/ opinion coming.. always love to be educated...

yes i have had a few notifications today. thought they were gone for good actually.

and back to topic...totally agree there is no perfect leather that looks pristine after use, water proof, scratch proof etc... don't think it will ever exist unless it is man made plastic.
it is up to individual preferences and lifestyle. who knows what togo, clemence, epsom etc...will look like in 20, 30 or 40 years time?

but we do know what boxcalf looks like after 40, 50 or even 60 years...i think some members here have boxcalf from the 50s..and they do look magnificent if used and taken care of properly

Some of the vintage box bags are truly amazing!

Hey ladies! Hope you're all doing well. I needed some advice on a birkin and I knew I had to ask all of you wonderful ladies.

I love the relaxed look of a Clemence birkin. But I'm wondering what it will look like after 8-10 years. I want to get an orange 30 cm birkin with gold hardware. How would the Clemence look after 8 years of wearing when it's full? Would it look worn out and tortured? I have no experience with clemence leather so any opinions would be appreciated! If any of you have pictures of a well loved Clemence bag, please share!!

Hey ladies! Hope you're all doing well. I needed some advice on a birkin and I knew I had to ask all of you wonderful ladies.

I love the relaxed look of a Clemence birkin. But I'm wondering what it will look like after 8-10 years. I want to get an orange 30 cm birkin with gold hardware. How would the Clemence look after 8 years of wearing when it's full? Would it look worn out and tortured? I have no experience with clemence leather so any opinions would be appreciated! If any of you have pictures of a well loved Clemence bag, please share!!
There might be some in this thread :

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/post-pics-of-your-slouchy-floopy-used-birkins-178825.html

I have a Clemence Birkin that is five years old and has been used quite often. If I am ever in my home town again :P I will take some photos. There is corner wear (common) and the handles are darkened (it's Gold, and I have not been careful, so this can be avoided - I just can't be bothered). The bag does slouch right over flat on its side, but I love that.

Thanks QuelleFromage! Did the handles darken because you would wear hand lotion before holding your bag, or is it just normal wear? Also, has potiron been discontinued? I read in an older thread that it might have been but I haven't found a sure answer anywhere.
I can't wait to see pictures of your beautiful birkin! Gold is such a classy color in a B!

Did you always stuff the bag after use? I just got clemence Birkin last week it's my first clemence and my SA said to stuff it after each use to avoid slouching. Is it just. Me or does Togo and clemence feel the same in beginning? I can't tell the difference between my Togo and my clemence.
There might be some in this thread :

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/post-pics-of-your-slouchy-floopy-used-birkins-178825.html

I have a Clemence Birkin that is five years old and has been used quite often. If I am ever in my home town again :P I will take some photos. There is corner wear (common) and the handles are darkened (it's Gold, and I have not been careful, so this can be avoided - I just can't be bothered). The bag does slouch right over flat on its side, but I love that.

Did you always stuff the bag after use? I just got clemence Birkin last week it's my first clemence and my SA said to stuff it after each use to avoid slouching. Is it just. Me or does Togo and clemence feel the same in beginning? I can't tell the difference between my Togo and my clemence.
you are right, i feel that recent togo and taurillon are sometimes very similar, that i can't tell the difference. my 35K togo is just like taurillon; even though i stuff it its still slouchy. my 32K taurillon is very thick and stiffer than some of my other togos. i think it really boils down to each leather pieces and panel, same bag can have different body/leather part from the same animal used on different panels of a bag, and the thickness differs. in my words that makes h bags so beautiful and each one is different from each other. its not just the colour or hardware.

Reactions: Penelope janet
View attachment 3134319

Do Clemence birkins end up looking like this? Anything to prevent that sagging at the bottom corners?

Id like to hear your opinion QuelleFromage...Does your birkin look like this?
Mine doesn't look like this - still has defined corners - but I have never filled it to bulging, which is what I would think happened to this bag (the look of which personally I don't mind, it just looks well-loved).
FWIW the MaiTai insert doesn't keep my bag from slouching - I would have to stuff the whole bag to a standing shape - but my craftsperson hates the insert (I am sure she would prefer a Fourbi, and the bag does not close well with the insert which upsets her) so I haven't been using it as, if I go into H she always checks my B :P
I love Clemence but only in certain bags.

You said it was stretched; the only stretched leathers are those that are embossed, like epsom and VL, to flatten the original grain and allow for the leather to be stamped with a new "pattern." All I'm saying is that nothing is done to the chèvre/goatskin that Hermes uses. Different types of goatskin will look different - CDC shows the spine (or is cut to show the spine) whereas mysore and jhansi don't. However ... they are all untreated as to the surface grain.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it seems there has been much confusion about Vache Liegee on TPF, and I, for one, would love to have it cleared up once and for all. So please correct me if I'm wrong!! My understanding is that Vache Liegee is stretched (or pressed), resulting in a flattened natural grain pattern whereas the graining in Epsom is embossed. I own both and can feel a big difference between the two. I also have Chévre and it is gloriously natural!

Please forgive me if this post is better off elsewhere😊

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it seems there has been much confusion about Vache Liegee on TPF, and I, for one, would love to have it cleared up once and for all. So please correct me if I'm wrong!! My understanding is that Vache Liegee is stretched (or pressed), resulting in a flattened natural grain pattern whereas the graining in Epsom is embossed. I own both and can feel a big difference between the two. I also have Chévre and it is gloriously natural!

Please forgive me if this post is better off elsewhere😊

There are a lot of threads on this leather; this one is older (as befits the time when the leather was available) and should answer your questions as you are correct - this thread really isn't the place.

http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes-shopping/vache-liegee-leather-211051.html

Hope that helps!