Can we discuss longevity?

I LOVE Skipper Buffalo (Buffle), but you will only find it in a used bag.
In a Birkin, Skipper Buffalo has a very casual look, as it is slouchy.
It is waterproof, almost scratch proof and takes color beautifully.
The Skipper Buffalo Birkins are lined in Skipper Buffalo.
IMO, this is the Birkin to travel with. One of mine got soaked by unexpected rain and totally recovered. You can shove it under airplane seat as it is rather supple.
If house was on fire and I could take one Birkin, it would be buffalo.

I LOVE Skipper Buffalo (Buffle), but you will only find it in a used bag.
In a Birkin, Skipper Buffalo has a very casual look, as it is slouchy.
It is waterproof, almost scratch proof and takes color beautifully.
The Skipper Buffalo Birkins are lined in Skipper Buffalo.
IMO, this is the Birkin to travel with. One of mine got soaked by unexpected rain and totally recovered. You can shove it under airplane seat as it is rather supple.
If house was on fire and I could take one Birkin, it would be buffalo.

Your post has made me so happy as I feel the same about my skipper birkin. It was my first and it's the most beautifully made bag in my collection. The funny thing is that at the time it was less than 5k.

For longevity in a bag, I find color to be a major factor regardless of leather. Some colors just look better down the road even if they get a little beat up. Sometimes they look even better.
Those colors are usually the neutrals though, all shades of natural leather, like barenia,, vache natural, etc, , browns, blacks, some blues and reds.

Reactions: Daosabao
They all age well if you take care of the bags. Stay away from heat and sun and only bring to h to spa. Rain is a no no too. Get a cheap rain bag. If you do this all your bags will remain pristine. I do baby my bags so they all look amazing and defy their age.

Of the readily available leathers I would say fjord, too, Epsom for durability. Ardennes trumps them all though.

Agree on Ardennes. The best leather was discontinued 😪. All other question already was perfectly answered by other wonderful ladies here.

I am in full agreement with you MrsJDS. I also have two small children, below the age of 5, and I use my Hermes bags with no hesitation or qualms when they are with me, which is practically all the time :biggrin:

I buy, and definitely use, my Hermes bags to enjoy as much as possible and the bags adjust to my life, not my lifestyle adjusting to my bags.

If something happens to the bags, oh well, I either take it to the spa or just let it be... :P

And chevre did have a batch of bags and even SLGs during the 2009/2010 period that later developed a bit of stretch marks and in some cases bigger lumps. Quite a number especially for chevre mysore.

This information came straight from Claude, the famed artisan of the Madison store. The photo I attached was actually the old one I emailed him a long time ago, and he confirmed he had seen many similar chevre items with similar markings, from the 2009/2010 chevre batch.

Interestingly Claude didn't consider it a defect, just something that had occurred "organically" with that batch of chevre. He also added that is partly why there have been less chevre bigger bags just generally available, because they wanted to keep the standards of the older chevre, perceived as a bit sturdier and less resistant to these "markings".

Agree with Leah. My Chèvre Mysore Bikin has been hardly carried, but it does have a bit of bend around the edges and corners. It is a softer leather. Over time I have come to see that there is no "perfect" leather. They all have their +'s and -'s. My box and barenia bags which I was at first most afraid of now seem like my most "durable" bags in that they can be "fixed" by spa or "aging".

My rose shocking chevre bag with the stretch marks is a Kelly 28 :smile:

I am not surprised. I remember reading it somewhere that chevre leather is a stretched leather. Hence it's light weight. To me, the pros of chevre is the colour and sheen. The cons of the leather is its durability and tendency to soften.

I agree with another post that there is no "perfect" leather and each has its own characters. It's for the buyer to decide what is more important aspect when choosing a leather.

Yay!!! is quote notification back???

yes i have had a few notifications today. thought they were gone for good actually.

and back to topic...totally agree there is no perfect leather that looks pristine after use, water proof, scratch proof etc... don't think it will ever exist unless it is man made plastic.
it is up to individual preferences and lifestyle. who knows what togo, clemence, epsom etc...will look like in 20, 30 or 40 years time?

but we do know what boxcalf looks like after 40, 50 or even 60 years...i think some members here have boxcalf from the 50s..and they do look magnificent if used and taken care of properly

I am not surprised. I remember reading it somewhere that chevre leather is a stretched leather. Hence it's light weight. To me, the pros of chevre is the colour and sheen. The cons of the leather is its durability and tendency to soften.

I agree with another post that there is no "perfect" leather and each has its own characters. It's for the buyer to decide what is more important aspect when choosing a leather.

Chèvre is not a "stretched" leather. It's typically the embossed leathers, like epsom and cache liegee, which are stretched as part of the finishing process. I have several chèvre de coromandel pieces - they haven't softened, stretched, wrinkled or lost their shape and one is over ten years old and used fairly often.

Reactions: miss argile
Chèvre is not a "stretched" leather. It's typically the embossed leathers, like epsom and cache liegee, which are stretched as part of the finishing process. I have several chèvre de coromandel pieces - they haven't softened, stretched, wrinkled or lost their shape and one is over ten years old and used fairly often.

I am talking about chèvre mysore not CdC, which is much softer. I too own chèvre mysore bag and SLG.

I never said chevre was embossed.

You said it was stretched; the only stretched leathers are those that are embossed, like epsom and VL, to flatten the original grain and allow for the leather to be stamped with a new "pattern." All I'm saying is that nothing is done to the chèvre/goatskin that Hermes uses. Different types of goatskin will look different - CDC shows the spine (or is cut to show the spine) whereas mysore and jhansi don't. However ... they are all untreated as to the surface grain.