mommy on the go
O.G.
Dec 27, 2011

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Quite honestly, you cannot clean it at this point. I have an 18 year old vintage speedy that isn't quite as black as yours, but still pretty black. I tried cleaning it and I think at the point that the blackness develops, the oils have penetrated the leather so deeply that it is impossible. Simply put, all of the leather even deep down is now darkened. This can't be wiped away. Your only hope is to replace the handles.

BUT..that's not to say you can't use it if you want to

I see a lot of these here in Europe at flea market/garage sales etc. I could get one for cheap (20 Euro) but with no way to clean them up, no one wants them.

Its to bad, its LV but they are too gross looking.

Thanks guys.i probably will still take it,shes giving it to me ill just try to bring it to LMB or get one of those handle covers.but im still hoping that they can be cleaned

My first Speedy was a twenty year old vintage Speedy. The handles weren't as dark but the rest of the bag was in worse condition and I got tired of using the magic eraser and conditioning the leather.
You probably could get the handles replaced or send the bag off to be cleaned. I think once the cost of cleaning and repairing goes above half the price of the bag - it's not worth it. For a bit more money you can get a nice pre-loved. You just have to decide if it's worth the time and money. I think the cost of replacing the handles is close to $200. Would you need to get the side tab and zipper pull replaced? That would bother me to have light leather handles and everything else dark....
But if the bag spa costs $200 and it makes the bag look cleaner/newer it would be worth it!

To be quite honest I LVoe this bag!!! Any dark patina I don't care how dark seems that it tells a story and I looks like it is very well loved. I just thought I d make the comment because there is a minority of us that love Realllllly dark patinas.