Can they do this?

I think it is a relatively new feature on ebay, I don't remember being able to do this 2 yrs ago. Some sellers do this because of the risk of selling it at low prices when auction ends, just in case there were no snipers.

I have done this before...I had listed a bag that I had bought on clearance for $150....I got an offer for $275 and she asked if I would take that and end the auction early...for a $125 profit??? Um yes, I think that I can do that!

Help me understand this on how you end an auction style ebay auction with bids?
I am a seller and start many Coach bags at 1 penny to get the ball rolling. I always get offers and say NO..for many reasons...but to end an auction, I would have to CANCEL every bid on the auction, so how are you guys ending it????
Yes, if its a buy it now......and i make a mistake..or I start an auction style and there is a mistake..but as soon as someone bids....then I have to cancel the bids to stop the auction.
Please tell me how you stop an auction after bids start..I agree it doesn't seem fair...
the contract in Ebay says it goes to the highest bidder...stopping it really isn't being fair to the last minute bidders or to the watcher.
Please, explain how to stop an auction when there are bidders?
Jonna
xxxxxxxx

If there are bidders, then you have two choices, you can end auction to sell to the highest bidder or if you want to end auction without selling to anyone, then you have to cancel bids and end it like you have been doing.

:confused1:OK I understand the stopping and selling to the highest bidder, sellers on the forum claim they stop the listing and allow a person offering alot more money to purchase, but when you stop auction does it go to the highest bidder, or to the one who is highest on auction at the time of stopping the listing? What is the final fee then if someone is offered alot more than what is listed? Clearly I am confused and need more input and clarity..SORRY....
can someone explain more!
I get offered through email from my ebay listing all the time offering me ALOT to take a certain amount, so they can buy it now...but the people that ask this arn't even bidding(wierd) and I haven't wanted to do that because its alot of trust to put into someone who claims they will pay and to stop a llsting when there are bidders and watchers. Seems risky and with allt he ebay rules..I would worry I am doing something wrong and it may screw with my being able to list or something.
HELP me, how do you do this..please give more information or more details.

I would never stop an auction of there were already bidders. That seems wrong to me - I chose to put it up for auction and these people are bidding -- if I wanted to see it at BIN I should have put it at that IMO.
If there are no bidders then I could see stopping it.
And watchers... as a watcher and a sniper that would tick me off... but hey, if you want it then bid - I don't feel an obligation to watchers ;)