can the City be used as a book bag/laptop bag?

The city is too small for a laptop and textbooks--I always carry a few paperbacks with me in my bags, and a city can hold those just fine. A work might hold your laptop, but I wouldn't use it as a heavy duty bookbag (JMO!).

I have 5 Cities; it's my favorite Bbag for everyday wear. I can attest that there is positively no chance of fitting a laptop or textbooks in a City!! :smile: (They're on the small end of the medium scale.)

But, you may want to try a Work or a Brief. They both look more purse-like if that is what you are after. I carry my laptop in a Courier, which looks more like a traditional book bag, but I love the lengthy strap and the fact that if can be adjusted for wearing cross-body.

^^ Yup. And please, don't put a 8 pound computer into a midsized bag like the City! I would be scared for the handles too, but I'm anal like that.

Can't you use another brand or something? LOL.

Nope. I'd get a work if you need it for that. :flowers:

I carry my laptop and files to work most of the time in a black canvas bag from a Museum. I totally baby my b-bags though and am not a normal person.

^^ Yup. And please, don't put a 8 pound computer into a midsized bag like the City! I would be scared for the handles too, but I'm anal like that.

Can't you use another brand or something? LOL.

I totally feel you on being anal retentive about my Bals. I'm so cautious with them that whenever I place them down I make sure the bag isn't sitting on it's strap, that nothing questionable (beverage, something sharp, etc.) is touching them and that the tassels are carefully straightened out. lol. It's hard being me!

I have to carry a laptop to & from work every day and I carry it in an REI backpack. Not only would I not want to put too much weight in a fabulous bag, carrying something heavy off to the side is bad for your back/posture.

I totally feel you on being anal retentive about my Bals. I'm so cautious with them that whenever I place them down I make sure the bag isn't sitting on it's strap, that nothing questionable (beverage, something sharp, etc.) is touching them and that the tassels are carefully straightened out. lol. It's hard being me!

Hehehe. I do the same, join the anal retentive club! At least anyone who purchases a bag secondhand from us will know we take extra great care of them. But you're so right. It's tough being like this all the time. :nuts:

I always make sure the handles are "up" when I'm wearing the City by the strap so that the innerhandle doesn't rub against my shirt/jeans. I too, straighten the tassels many times a day. I have to make sure the things inside of it (like keys) aren't jabbing the bag is a strange way too. Let's see what else, what else... :P

We must be insane.................

Awww beaux! You're "normal" to me! ;)

^^Aww, thank you RERE. I'm just super careful with my Bags (I know you know what I mean). They never touch the floor, try not to ever bump them into anything! Never go out in the rain, etc. etc. I do have two older bags that came pre-used and way more broken in then most of mine - so those are my "knock-around" bals - but they still don't touch the floor either! LOL

^^^ Beaux your posting made me laugh. Guess birds of a feather really DO flock together!

I usually get an extra seat at restaurants just for my Bal. And if there isn't any room for another chair, I sit on the edge of my seat while the bag hogs the rest of the chair. Forget about hanging it...don't want to ruin the handles or have a waiter walk by and rub against it!

It fits a netbook, such as Acer eee pc, and a one two paperback pocketbook. Not the thick one though. The handle's pretty stong, but I'd recommend against it since the leather part at the bag body that sewn to the handle might tear. You'll have to try and see if it looks ok for you.

^^^ Beaux your posting made me laugh. Guess birds of a feather really DO flock together!

I usually get an extra seat at restaurants just for my Bal. And if there isn't any room for another chair, I sit on the edge of my seat while the bag hogs the rest of the chair. Forget about hanging it...don't want to ruin the handles or have a waiter walk by and rub against it!

Gawd, I feel so much better now after reading all this! I lovingly arrange my bags nicely into their dustbags whenever I keep them for the night - I wipe them down with a clean, dry cloth, I have to make sure the tassels are straight, the handle has to sit so it won't bend and the bag has to go in just so. And I'm obsessively straightening the tassels on my bags (when I'm out) all the time. I also make sure the handles are properly arranged when I use the shoulder strap. And I have to wash my hands before I touch my Bbags. And NO PUTTING THE BAG ON THE FLOOR! ICK! And I never bring my Bbags out on a hot day where there's a chance of sweating - eeeeew...