Can someone tell me how this gia report effects the appearance of the stone? TIA

BAGLADY-SHOEFLY

In Love & Luxe
O.G.
Mar 1, 2009
I cannot get the pavilion or crown% the seller said GIA did not include this in 2004. So I suppose my question is what do these %s' mean? I see the table is a little larger then is desirable for a round brilliant. How will this effect the fire scintillation etc? What about the girdle? Thanks so much experts! I understand the L and SI2 its the rest that I am wondering about...

I removed the GIA # not sure about copyrights?

Attachments

• 171cert.JPG
    171cert.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 171a.JPG
    171a.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 67
  • r910g.JPG
    r910g.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 69
I believe that GIA implemented a new cut grading system in January 2006, so earlier reports may not have included angle measurements. Ditto on Pricescope having the answer.

I got a similar problem. My RB has a GIA certificate dated back in 1998. I called up GIA, hoping that they would have the data. Unfortunately, they did not measure crown and pavilion angles before 2006. Without the angle information, the pricescope people cannot tell you much. One option is to send your stone (make sure it is insured) to AGS or GIA for a new certificate (costs $200 plus round trip shipping/insurance). The other option is to buy an idealscope and/or ASET scope to view the light performance yourself. Actually, you can tell a bit by examining the stone under various lighting condition.

Pavilion, Crown etc are the important terms used to describe the dimensions of a diamond:

Table is the uppermost and biggest facet of the diamond.
Crown is the sloping part of the diamond from the table to the girdle.
Girdle is the point where the crown and pavilion meet.
Pavilion is the lower section of the diamond from girdle to the culet.
Culet is the lowermost tip of the diamond.

You may refer this link for more details:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/Education/CutGuide.aspx

Attachments

• DiamondDimantion.jpg
    DiamondDimantion.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 59
Pavilion, Crown etc are the important terms used to describe the dimensions of a diamond:

Table is the uppermost and biggest facet of the diamond.
Crown is the sloping part of the diamond from the table to the girdle.
Girdle is the point where the crown and pavilion meet.
Pavilion is the lower section of the diamond from girdle to the culet.
Culet is the lowermost tip of the diamond.

You may refer this link for more details:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/Education/CutGuide.aspx

Thank you! This was very helpful info, the only thing I don't understand is how the table being 1% over excellent will effect the overall appearance? Will it refract less or at an angle or be less brilliant or fiery or both? Whats the difference between fire and brilliance in terms of diamonds? If any one knows that would be great, TIA:smile:

Most jewelry stores should have a sarin machine to run the crown and pavilion angles. Some even have a sarin with the new GIA cut grade software. I would try and find a local store or independant appraiser that can run the sarin analysis for you- much cheaper and more time efficient than sending it back to GIA.

Also, in regards to the the larger table, its not so much the table percentage on its own that predicts light return- The key is how it works in combination with the other angles such as crown, pavilion, and even lower girdle facet percentage.

Fire is defined as the spectoral colors (the rainbow flashes) that you see- high levels of fire are usually created by smaller tables and steeper crown angles. Brilliance is is created by the balance of overall brightness / contrast a stone has. I'm pretty sure if you go to pricescope.com they have an excellent tutorial on this subject under the knowlege section- you should check it out.