Can someone help please!

mulberrytree

Jan 1, 2013
Earlier today I brought 2x tickets for a concert for my Mums birthday present through eBay. I asked her when I was about to buy them if she had anything on on that day- checked her diary and calendar and nothing. So I have paid for them.

Told my Dad and he has told me it is my brothers graduation that day. Bugger. There is no chance we can get from the graduation to the concert on time- it is a 4-5 hour train journey away and naturally my parents won't want to just disappear after the ceremony.

I have contacted the seller, but feel she is ignoring me (she was responding immediately before all of this). Is she obliged to refund? Can I do anything if she doesn't respond?

Pretty new to the world of eBay so not entirely sure how things work.

I have tried opening a case to cancel it but it just says to contact the seller?

You can't expect the seller to refund under these circumstances because
there is really nothing wrong with the tickets..

If you don't pay for the tickets your seller may file a NPB strike against you.

Once you commit to the purchase you have enterred into a mutually binding
agreement, it is up to the seller to make the decision whether she wants
to refund you. She probably won't & don't be disappointed if she doesn't.

Does the seller have "no refunds" in her auction? If so, she isn't obligated to refund you. Some sellers are willing to work with people in special situations, and will offer a refund under certain circumstances even if their auction says they don't give refunds...but it's definitely not required, nor should it be expected. It sounds like your seller doesn't want to issue a refund, if she stopped responding to you after you started asking about a refund. If you've already paid for the tickets, why not just try to resell them yourself?

Last edited:
That's totally unfair of you to expect the seller to cancel because you didn't do your homework!

WHen you bid and buy items, before completing the purchase, there are multiple prompts reminding you that the bid/purchase is a contract and you're obligated to follow through.

You don't say when the concert is but my suggestion is to pay for the tickets and relist/resell them yourself.

The seller really doesn't owe you anything for your error.

That's totally unfair of you to expect the seller to cancel because you didn't do your homework!

WHen you bid and buy items, before completing the purchase, there are multiple prompts reminding you that the bid/purchase is a contract and you're obligated to follow through.

You don't say when the concert is but my suggestion is to pay for the tickets and relist/resell them yourself.

Bit of an unfair comment no? One would assume that important events such as this would be marked on our family calendar along with everything else.

Don't see the problem- just malicious pettyness if she doesn't refund in my eyes. She won't get charged fees and the tickets go quicker than you can blink so it isn't as if she won't be able to resell them

Yes, I could resell them- but who will touch it? I won't have confirmation email or anything- not to mention I don't even know if said tickets will arrive from this seller. So that could mean either way I am £200 down. If it was £30 or something I would let it go and not deal with hassle.

Concert isn't until July- and tickets can arrive anytime upto a week before.

When you bought the tickets, you contracted to pay for them. You might try sending a message to the seller asking very nicely if she would let you cancel the transaction in exchange for paying her the fees that you will cost her by not doing all your homework before bidding.

Many ebayers use ebay as their livelihood. They have already spent time, effort, and money to list. If she won't let you cancel (and she has no obligation to do so), you should just pay and resell the tickets.

No need to be harsh with me. I am trying to help. You can still ask her to cancel the transaction and offer to pay the fees, as I mentioned above. That is the same whether you paid or not. If she agrees to cancel, you will get your money back and she will get PART of her fees back, which is why I said I think you should offer to pay her something to cover the fees. If you dont want to sell them yourself, it should be worth a few dollars/pounds to be out of the transaction. But you had better curb the attitude and ask nicely, since she doesn't have to let you do it.

No need to be harsh with me. I am trying to help. You can still ask her to cancel the transaction and offer to pay the fees, as I mentioned above. That is the same whether you paid or not. If she agrees to cancel, you will get your money back and she will get PART of her fees back, which is why I said I think you should offer to pay her something to cover the fees. If you dont want to sell them yourself, it should be worth a few dollars/pounds to be out of the transaction. But you had better curb the attitude and ask nicely, since she doesn't have to let you do it.

If she cancels the transaction, she doesn't have to pay the fees. I know this as I had someone buy an iPad, his account was closed and so the sale was cancelled and I didnt have to pay the fees.

I am asking nicely- and tbh, you weren't exactly polite to me.

Bit of an unfair comment no? One would assume that important events such as this would be marked on our family calendar along with everything else.

Don't see the problem- just malicious pettyness if she doesn't refund in my eyes. She won't get charged fees and the tickets go quicker than you can blink so it isn't as if she won't be able to resell them
Why is my comment unfair? You bought an item without checking with your family. As you said, "One would assume that important events such as this would be marked on our family calendar along with everything else," why should this be the seller's problem that someone in YOUR FAMILY didn't write it on the calendar.

I just don't get why she's being petty for standing by her "no return/no refund" policy. How is it petty for her not to know that someone in your family didn't mark the date on the calendar so you would know not to make other plans for that day.

As for the seller not being out money, the only fees she gets reimbursed for would be the FVF if you agree to the cancellation. She still has the listing fees for the original listing, fees for each subsequent time she might have to relist in order to get the tickets resold and when she refunds your full paypal payment, paypal will withhold 30 cents service charge. There ARE costs involved and your actions will cost her money.

Granted, it won't cost her a lot but her time is worth something too.

Again, it's not her problem that you bought an item without verifying that the time and date were open for you.

Please don't accuse those who disagree with you as being harsh, mean, negative-Nelly, etc.

Maybe eBay UK is different- I don't know. Paypal dont withhold anything here- if both parties agree, nothing is charged to either of them. The listing fee isn't my problem- she chose to list them on a website where she would have to pay to do it. For goodness sake, if someone is THAT desperate for 30p, why on earth are they buying a £100 worth of concert tickets? Doesn't make sense really.

As I said- the tickets are going quicker than you can blink. There are listings that are up for a couple of minutes before they are gone.

Sorry if I am coming across rude- naturally, I am upset that I could be £200 out of pocket when I was just trying to buy something nice for my mother after her stress of having my grandparents and my father in hospital this week. Maybe another reason why I need to learn to not be such a nice person.

But lets be honest- your not exactly being polite.

Maybe eBay UK is different- I don't know. Paypal dont withhold anything here- if both parties agree, nothing is charged to either of them. The listing fee isn't my problem- she chose to list them on a website where she would have to pay to do it. For goodness sake, if someone is THAT desperate for 30p, why on earth are they buying a £100 worth of concert tickets? Doesn't make sense really.

As I said- the tickets are going quicker than you can blink. There are listings that are up for a couple of minutes before they are gone.

Sorry if I am coming across rude- naturally, I am upset that I could be £200 out of pocket when I was just trying to buy something nice for my mother after her stress of having my grandparents and my father in hospital this week. Maybe another reason why I need to learn to not be such a nice person.

You aren't getting it!! Yes, she agreed to the listing fee. And she sold the item; she did her part, paid that fee and it should be done.

Now that you want out of the transaction, she loses that fee and will be on the hook for future fees each time she has to relist.

Again, she doesn't owe you a cancellation.

(And I believe that all paypal venues charge a fee when full refunds are issued.)

I'm not being impolite. I'm just being honest in telling you that you are wrong here and that you aren't owed anything. That's NOT rude!

If you ask for help here and we don't think you're in the right, you aren't going to be coddled.

They don't. I have asked people here in the UK about refunds- and nothing is charged to the person at all. And as I said, if she was REALLY that bothered about 30p- I will let her keep 30p of her money (which is about 45 cents). She would have to relist once and they will go, no doubt. Michael Buble is a huge act- tickets sold out within minutes and it is now the same on eBay.

We are obviously going to have to agree to disagree.

I think your expectations of what the seller should be doing for
you is rather unrealistic.

You made the decision to purchase these tickets. It was an error
on your part not on the part of the seller.

And there is nothing wrong with these tickets.

If your seller was interested in your problem as you have explained
it to her, perhaps she might consider relisting them, but she is
under no obligation to & you are not within your rights in making her feel
obligated to. Your sense of entitlement is out of bounds.

The tickets are yours..Your have to OWN your mistake & don't
throw it back to the seller.

And since you have come on the forum to ask others , you should
be prepared for answers. Some you might like & some you might not.
That's what opinions are for. And when your tone or attitude is
nicer, people might be inclinded to do more for you.

And since the tickets are going faster than you can blink your eyes,
either re-list them yourself or offer them to a friend.

Last edited: