Can someone explain the Birkin/Kelly obsession to me?

tashinto

Oct 21, 2020
I own luxury bags but I've never been interested in the Birkin/Kelly or pretty much anything Hermes. A brand's look needs to match your style and that just isn't Hermes for me. I have a friend who has been trying to get her hand on a Birkin/Kelly for a while now and has probably spent about $15K+ at Hermes over the past year in the hopes that she gets one. That alone has turned me off from Hermes as a brand. Seems like a toxic relationship with a guy you like who just won't commit LOL My friend tells me that one day I will understand and will want a Birkin/Kelly as well. I own Chanel and that is THRILLING for me haha can someone explain to me what the big deal with Birkin/Kelly is? *not trying to offend anybody's love for Hermes

There are so so so many different reasons. Everyone has their own.

For me, besides the look and H colors, etc., a large reason I sold off all my other brands and switched to H was the quality. I sold the three Channels (Boy, WOC, large tote) that I owned for less than a year due to their quality issues that showed up right away.

And honestly, if I could have bought a Birkin 15-20 years ago, I would of. It just takes some of us (at least me) me a while to work up to that point ($$$$ :lol:).

There are so so so many different reasons. Everyone has their own.

For me, besides the look and H colors, etc., a large reason I sold off all my other brands and switched to H was the quality. I sold the three Channels (Boy, WOC, large tote) that I owned for less than a year due to their quality issues that showed up right away.

And honestly, if I could have bought a Birkin 15-20 years ago, I would of. It just takes some of us (at least me) me a while to work up to that point ($$$$ :lol:).
I have read and heard a lot about Hermes quality but how does it differ from LVs or Chanel? I have both brands and think theyre great!

I personally have had a great experience in my adventure of Hermes as a brand. My SA is absolutely wonderful along with the entire store so, in this sense, my experience has been quite different and colored the brand differently. I was also introduced to Hermes at a young age from family members who collected silk scarves that I always admired. So, for me, there is a fond memory of these people included in the Hermes experience.
I had always aspired to have a Chanel CF and purchased one maybe two weeks before purchasing my first Kelly. I was so disappointed by the quality of Chanel after seeing my Kelly. The leather smell/construction/feel is entirely different and made my CF honestly feel a little cheap. It really is something you have to see/touch/smell in person because once you do it is hard to "go back." In my experience, I can't really qualify spending 7k on a Chanel bag when for a couple thousand more I can get a true piece of art. (This is just my personal opinion so I hope not to offend anyone)
I hope this helps.

I personally have had a great experience in my adventure of Hermes as a brand. My SA is absolutely wonderful along with the entire store so, in this sense, my experience has been quite different and colored the brand differently. I was also introduced to Hermes at a young age from family members who collected silk scarves that I always admired. So, for me, there is a fond memory of these people included in the Hermes experience.
I had always aspired to have a Chanel CF and purchased one maybe two weeks before purchasing my first Kelly. I was so disappointed by the quality of Chanel after seeing my Kelly. The leather smell/construction/feel is entirely different and made my CF honestly feel a little cheap. It really is something you have to see/touch/smell in person because once you do it is hard to "go back." In my experience, I can't really qualify spending 7k on a Chanel bag when for a couple thousand more I can get a true piece of art. (This is just my personal opinion so I hope not to offend anyone)
I hope this helps.
Fair maybe one day I will go into a Hermes and see the difference!

I have read and heard a lot about Hermes quality but how does it differ from LVs or Chanel? I have both brands and think theyre great!

It just feels expensive! :lol: In all seriousness, the leather feels like butter. Even my family (who normally just smiles and nods politely at my bag obsession), was ooh-ing and aw-ing the feel of my H leather items. After selling off my entire collection during lock down, I bought 5 H bags and they are all flawless. There is not a single stitch out of place. Like the post above said, they are art.

RE: Chanel- With all three of my Chanel bags, they all showed major corner wear after a few uses (especially the lambskin tote). The leather on the Boy was actually peeling in random places and while I use my bags, I am pretty cognizant of not bumping them into anything so I was pretty shocked at the wear. I took a big hit with reselling them and that was barely after using them.

RE: LV- I never had any major quality problems with LV, Goyard, YSL, BV, Gucci, Prada, Bal, Celine, Burberry, etc. bags like I did with my Chanel (and actually found LV and Gucci to be very well made), but I really began to hate shopping at some of the boutiques. The long lines at LV? No thanks. It doesn't help that I am in my 40s and so I remember what walking into a LV store with no problem was like. And I also remember what was like having an LV SA that you have never met be friendly to you. The attitude every time I go into a Goyard? No thanks again. So again, it's kind of a quality issue. I like the quality of service I get at Hermès. I was surprised to find them to be really friendly and I am not in a city where friendly service is common!

A few more reasons... Personally, I also prefer more classic styles and the new stuff that LV and Chanel constantly crank out was making my head spin! I am also tired of loud logo items. I feel way more under the radar in H when out and about in the city. And lastly, which was a surprise to me, I also really like the H home items.

Last edited:
I'll put my .02 cents in here.
First, I bought a preloved B 35 and discovered how well made these bags were.
Just real handcrafted quality in every respect.

That brought me to the conclusion that I wanted another Hermes bag, so I made an appointment with a wonderful SA and purchased a Blue Evelyne after asking so many questions here of this forum about that bag.
So many helpful people here sent me pictures of them modeling their bags and provided me with info regarding that particular bag.

My relationship with my SA has blossomed into a true friendship and next I bought a Garden Party and some twillys for the handles.

My SA knew of my love for the Birkins and that I wanted another in a different color, so I was visiting her one day a few weeks ago and tried on a Toolbox. She steered me away from the Toolbox and said it wasn't the bag for me, but that she had some different bags coming in soon and would call me as soon as they arrived.

About three days later, she called me and told me to come in because she had a bag for me to look at.

Lo and behold, it was a Gold Togo Birkin that she knew I'd be in love with.
I only expressed that I eventually wanted another Birkin and she was able to get me my dream bag.

Which proves that developing a great relationship with a great SA can and truly make you feel that you are at home in that boutique

I find this type of superior customer service to be lacking in every other boutique I have ever visited...BV, Chanel, LV, NM, you name it.

I know every one of the employees in my H boutique by name, thanks to my wonderful SA, and she treats me like royalty when I come in, if just for a chat.

There is a difference, believe me.

I've gone to Chanel Boutiques where I have people ignore me and don't seem to care if I shop or not.
The same way with LV and NM stores.

Try the Hermes experience, you may just find that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I am relatively new to Hermes, but fell in love instantly with the quality of their products. Nothing, IMO, compares. I like that they are more exclusive. The consumer availability of other brands some what turns me off. Sounds stuck up, and I mean no offense to other brand lovers. But I want to carry something that isn’t run of the mill. To me, the Kelly and Birkin are timeless and will always be in style, but you don’t find them everywhere. I have never been pressured by my SA to buy anything or spend a certain amount. I wasn’t even in the market for a Birkin, but as soon as I was offered it, and I tried it on, I knew it was going to be perfect for me. It is a great tote style. The leather feels and smells amazing! I am looking to add a Kelly to my collection too as it serves a completely different purpose for me the way it secures and has a shoulder strap. So for me, the timeless look, as well as the quality is what drives me to those bags.

Those who love hermes, feel the same way about hermes that you feel about chanel. Some of us started with chanel and crossed over, but I’m sure there are many in chanel subforum who bought hermes and decided it’s not for them. It’s whatever makes your heart sing. I used to have a great relationship with an H SA (who left for another career) so have had the opportunity to buy both boutique and pre loved quota bags, and I would advise anyone not to buy anything, unless you truly love it. A boutique aficionado should love everything hermes and not just the B. Otherwise it’s easy to buy preloved in every price point. JMO

I don't look at H as an obsession the way many do. I look at H as being the best in quality, artistry,
distinctiveness & a rainbow of colors that many other companies just don't offer & I appreciate that.
I also prefer the Kelly. There are many who favor different bag styles so it really comes down to
personal preference so the obsession varies.
When I first started purchasing H items, there were not the obstacles that many have to subject themselves
to in order to acquire their dream bag. For me this is also one of the reasons I prefer dealing with resellers for
many of the H items I look for. I don't have to have the bag of the moment or the color of the moment.
H is timeless & classic, so whatever Kelly crosses my path I'm always delighted to find something unexpected.
Taking a journey into the world of Hermes speaks for itself on many levels & the doors are open to all to have
that experience .

I don't even own any Hermes bags but I'm still obsessed with them! Like you, I'm strictly a Chanel kinda gal and have been collecting flaps for quite some time now. The quality and craftsmanship is what really attracts me to Hermes, as well as their colors!! Chanel has been extremely redundant lately... I feel like they keep releasing the same colors season after season. I will always love how fun Chanel is, but Hermes is just a totally different vibe and aesthetic.

I am speaking for myself only and have talked at length about this with one of my girlfriends who was born into great wealth. I am Asian American and the daughter of Filipino immigrants. My best friend is Max Factor's grand daughter and grew up in Beverly Hills. She does not own any Hermes. She is recognized in Beverly Hills and dresses down every where, no big jewelry or statement bags. I, on the other hand, wear Hermes everywhere as if it is my armor. I have been mistaken as my girls' nanny, the maid in my own house, etc. I wear my Hermes so I don't have to explain that yes, I can afford to be in the fancy store and please do not ask me to clean this table. I also have two daughters, sisters and cousins that I gift the bags to when I am over them. They always make great gifts. Lastly, I always feel great carrying and wearing my Hermes purses and RTW because they are so beautifully made.

I own luxury bags but I've never been interested in the Birkin/Kelly or pretty much anything Hermes. A brand's look needs to match your style and that just isn't Hermes for me. I have a friend who has been trying to get her hand on a Birkin/Kelly for a while now and has probably spent about $15K+ at Hermes over the past year in the hopes that she gets one. That alone has turned me off from Hermes as a brand. Seems like a toxic relationship with a guy you like who just won't commit LOL My friend tells me that one day I will understand and will want a Birkin/Kelly as well. I own Chanel and that is THRILLING for me haha can someone explain to me what the big deal with Birkin/Kelly is? *not trying to offend anybody's love for Hermes

I love a lot of Hermes, shoes, scarves, belts, wonderful, but the bags, I pass. Most I don't like the look of them, the ones I like the look, they are just not practical for me (too heavy) - as for spending that much to get offered a bag, doesn't happen in Europe a lot, I regularly get them offered and pass, sometimes I think my SA just has a bet with herself going if she can't tempt me into buying a bag, had them, didn't like them. On the other hand, I also don't care for most Chanel bags, hey simply don't work for me and too much label, I did flirt with a Deauville tote black on black, but it was only available in canvas, and in all honesty, the price tag was too steep, even for canvas, I know the label overload would totally annoy me within a very short time.
For me a bag needs to be a working bag, it needs to pack the MacAir, phone, wallet and maybe some paperwork, they need to be hardy because I tend to wear them an awful lot, they don't get the rest in the dustbag. Some Prada and Balenciaga ones work great for me, a big slouchy BV, some Paul Costelloe ones, I am all over the brands, not much focused on one brand. I am toying with the idea of a Neverfull, but I again, it's too much label overload.