Can sellers ever win a dispute on eBay? Buyer taking me for a ride

umichmm

O.G.
Jul 30, 2008
Hi! I sold an item on eBay that the seller is claiming was damaged (but then made a mistake and stated in the message she just thinks it's too used for her.) The bag in question had 12 full photos and stated multiple times that the bag was faded and could need to be redyed and was priced accordingly. In addition I welcomed any questions or additional picture requests. I have EXCELLENT feedback.

During the auction, she asked me if I could put the bag on layaway for her (I said no, I am not a store,) then she asked me if she could win the auction but not pay me for over a month (I said no.). She up bid the auction. Then I waited over 8 days for payment. I shipped immediately. And now 10 days AFTER she's gotten the bag, she wants a refund even tho the auction says I do not take refunds (yes I know it's stupid BC eBay will make me.)

Do I even have a leg to stand on if I even try to fight this? Is it worth trying? Or just take the lump and do the refund. It's over the holidays and I'm just angry. I feel like she's just messing me about.

Sellers always get screwed over on ebay. The only times I have ever won are when buyer says it shipped to wrong address and I could prove I shipped to the confirmed address. Or they said it was not delivered but I have tracking scans showing otherwise.
For items not as described, sellers usually do lose, and it absolutely bites, but you might as well take the item back and the buyer will probably still leave neg feedback anyway! I am a little jaded on ebay, but I am a top rated seller with approx 1500 feedback, so I have lots of ebay experience and still sell on there as it reaches a wide market. Their seller protection SUCKS though!

I have won SNAD claims as a seller for certain reasons. However, I think that ebay usually sides with the buyer on authenticity issues. Maybe you should get them authenticated yourself and use that in your defense. Unless you get the authentication done really quick, ebay could make their decision before you get it.

You know if you read the posts from the link poopsie posted I think it's worth fighting.
You just never know with Ebay... What's the worst that could happen? You take the return anyway?
And best? You win.

If you have the time & energy, I'd fight it.

I sold high-end items on ebay for 13 years before giving it up last year after a series of difficult transactions which didn't go against me, but drained me. The old days of one big high-end trust infused swap meet are over. You can fight, yes. And you may win. But winning is often a losing game anyway. If it were me, I would allow the return. It's likely you will end up there anyway. The sooner you have the item back in your possession, the better. Use the experience to better fortify your listings in the future and move on. Good luck to both you and the buyer. I hope you can amicably come to a resolution.

Reactions: HandbagDiva354
Hi! I sold an item on eBay that the seller is claiming was damaged (but then made a mistake and stated in the message she just thinks it's too used for her.) The bag in question had 12 full photos and stated multiple times that the bag was faded and could need to be redyed and was priced accordingly. In addition I welcomed any questions or additional picture requests. I have EXCELLENT feedback.

During the auction, she asked me if I could put the bag on layaway for her (I said no, I am not a store,) then she asked me if she could win the auction but not pay me for over a month (I said no.). She up bid the auction. Then I waited over 8 days for payment. I shipped immediately. And now 10 days AFTER she's gotten the bag, she wants a refund even tho the auction says I do not take refunds (yes I know it's stupid BC eBay will make me.)

Do I even have a leg to stand on if I even try to fight this? Is it worth trying? Or just take the lump and do the refund. It's over the holidays and I'm just angry. I feel like she's just messing me about.
Item 1: It doesn't matter if she changed her mind about the reason for the return - Evil Bay will "probably" side with her anyway. (This happened to me too & I lost).
Item 2: Her asking for all of these requirements regarding your Auction is a red flag. I would have blocked her ASAP. Can you please give me her Evil Bay Moniker so I can block her?
Item 3
: Waiting 8 days for payment is not good. Should have tried to cancel the trx if you possible.
Item 4: IMHO you will not win, therefore I would allow the return & get on down the road. Especially here at Christmastime.
I'm very sorry this is happening to you during the Holidays! It should be a happy & lovely time of year. This PITA brings up all sorts of unhappy emotions. Sending you Holiday Blessings! :angel:

Reactions: DZK
I sold high-end items on ebay for 13 years before giving it up last year after a series of difficult transactions which didn't go against me, but drained me. The old days of one big high-end trust infused swap meet are over. You can fight, yes. And you may win. But winning is often a losing game anyway. If it were me, I would allow the return. It's likely you will end up there anyway. The sooner you have the item back in your possession, the better. Use the experience to better fortify your listings in the future and move on. Good luck to both you and the buyer. I hope you can amicably come to a resolution.

Agree here.. you can try to fight but think the buyer has laid out her groundwork about the bag.
Do you think she is fishing for a partial on this bag??? There certainly were enough photos for her to judge the
condition so she should have had a idea of what she was buying ,IYKWIM

Last edited:
IMO if the OP didn't want to fight it she would have just played the chump card, rolled over and never started the thread.
IDGAF how many cases are won by either side. No one is going to jerk me around without a fight. I may not win, but I certainly won't make it easy for them to.
What is the saying---all it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to sit back and do nothing. Why are people so quick to just give in?
The buyer admitted in writing (hopefully via Ebay's message system) that it is buyers remorse. The item, I am assuming was listed as used, the flaws were stressed repeatedly.

I told her that I would give her a refund but would not pay for the shipping both ways. And if that's not acceptable, I think I'm going to fight it. I firmly believe the item WAS accurately described. It's a $2200 bag that was listed at an opening bid of $650. In the descriptor, it said the item was faded. In the body it stated that plus the redying and multiple photos clearly show the fading. She bid the bag up to just over $715. She just has buyers remorse and I'm annoyed. After her payment troubles, her paying down her credit card to pay, the requests for layaway etc, I just had a bad feeling the minute I realized she ended up buying the bag. But if she wants me to pay for all of the shipping on her buyers remorse, well I'd rather let eBay decide. I'll never sell again on there so the heck with a bad rating. Every other auction says, item as described with good feedback. I just give up!!

Reactions: BeenBurned
IMO if the OP didn't want to fight it she would have just played the chump card, rolled over and never started the thread.
IDGAF how many cases are won by either side. No one is going to jerk me around without a fight. I may not win, but I certainly won't make it easy for them to.
What is the saying---all it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to sit back and do nothing. Why are people so quick to just give in?
The buyer admitted in writing (hopefully via Ebay's message system) that it is buyers remorse. The item, I am assuming was listed as used, the flaws were stressed repeatedly.

The OP is wondering of if it is worth trying to fight. What are her chances of winning? Based on what I have seen here way less than 50%. Some people enjoy a good fight. Some don't. And for those who don't, this is not worth the battle. With so may competitors offering free shipping and free returns, I do think requiring returns is the way eBay is heading. And there are lots worse evils than that which may require the good men to sit up and take notice.

I think for eBay stores, the return requirement is annoying but understandable. And maybe they don't make enough money off of people like me who sell 10-15 items a year. But for me, someone who just sells to pay for other purchase I would like to make, and to keep my closet in check, they will lose my sales commissions I guess. It's really sad. I used to enjoy the limited selling that I did. But it's become nothing but a terrifying hassle that people want to treat me and my time like I'm Nordstrom. Or try to scam you for a partial refund to get it cheaper. I wanted to cancel the sale when she bought it - I left her funds in PayPal because I just KNEW she was going to pull some crap like this. I had a sixth sense I guess.

If you lose, just file an appeal. Most of the time if a seller has a valid claim but loses on the first step, you have a good possibilty of winning the appeal after speaking to someone directly on the phone. But you must request to speak to someone higher up.