can our purses be too big or too small for our size?

Somewhat... I mean there are no "rules" IMO, but a bag does tend too look better if it's in proportion with the person carrying it. Same applies to patterns on our clothing, jewelry, etc.

It's definitely all about proportion. I am slightly tall with big hands, so itty bitty clutches and makeup cases do not work for me. On the flip side, I can't deal with huge, shapeless bags, neither because then it'll look overwhelming against my figure.

Yes, I think a bag can be out of proportion to the person carrying it. I don't think it's useful to think in terms of 'rules' - i.e. if you're a wear X size clothes, only carry X size bags. I think it's more helpful to think about the eternal principles of proportion and appropriateness.

i think you should wear what you want! i do. i have a tiny top handle bag that only fits small wallet, phone, keys. i also have a couple of bags 20 inches wide. Iam 5 ft 2 in, petite. These are the largest of my bags and looked huuuge to me at 1st, but not anymore! I think you just get used to it. Screw rules :P

i think you should wear what you want! i do. i have a tiny top handle bag that only fits small wallet, phone, keys. i also have a couple of bags 20 inches wide. Iam 5 ft 2 in, petite. These are the largest of my bags and looked huuuge to me at 1st, but not anymore! I think you just get used to it. Screw rules :P

I agree! I'm the same height and I favor larger bags. I can't function with a small bag :sad: I have too much stuff and I only use Long wallets now so I always look for a spacious bag :smile:

I'm petite (5'3'') so I prefer medium size bag. Too small is not good because I want to carry a lot of stuff, but too big will dwarf me. The bigger the bag you carry the more junk you tend to put in it.

Somewhat yes but it should be an individual decision IMHO, this is why I always want to see a bag IRL and try it on, I am quite petite but some large bags are fine while others look ridiculous on me, medium bags are almost always ok but I personally hate real small bags. I think that while large bags can look very trendy on petite women small bags do not look good on larger women, at least this is what I have noticed. It is an individual decision, what one feels good in and can pull off will generally look good on that person, it depends a lot on how you feel... just my thoughts of course.

Yes, a lesson I've had to learn despite what I think I want. I kept buying, selling, and rebuying the LV Mini Sac (Mini Speedy) because it's the cutest thing ever, but I always looked like a wayward giant child when carrying it. This continues to bug me. Likewise with my one bad purchase of a bag too big, that's a mistake I'll avoid in the future.

I don't care for fashion rules at all and just don't mind them unless I'm forced into them (i.e. profession) Ugh, however, I despise these rules about "proportion" because do tall women carry more than small women? If two women of drastically different sizes have extremely similar lifestyles and need bag sizes that fit these, does the short one have to sacrifice some things to carry a fashionably sized bag? When much needed function is sacrificed like this, that's when I pull out the middle finger to fashion rules.