Can opening a claim/dispute be bad for the seller?

Continue with the SNAD, you need the correct return address.

Also, what record? I don't there is any record that a buyer could check to see how many claims have been disputed. I think she's full of BS.

Chatting with ebay CS right now. Will follow up with a phone call to a live person.

snips from the chat:

Customer
The seller stated that a claim goes on her permanent ebay record. Is there a bad connotation for sellers to have claims filed against them, especially if this is ebay/paypal protocol for a return?

Agent
This is eBay's protocol to get you covered by the Buyer Protection Program. Actually, this type of concern is being handled by our Resolutions team.

Well I did read that PP keeps up with how many SNADS and claims you make. And that they take some kind of inventory if you have a lot and will eventually demote your account. Someone correct me if I am wrong about this?

Ok I so just got off the phone with Ebay CS. Surprisingly, I actually got someone from the US. WOW!

Anyway her advice:

1. It IS ebay's protocol for buyers to open a claim regardless if buyer and seller are working on a resolution just for their BUYER'S PROTECTION POLICY. The numbers of claims against a seller does not affect a seller's account. The only thing that would affect a seller's account is FEEDBACK.
2. The Ebay agent noted in her records that the partial reimbursement was for return shipping, but yes otherwise ebay might see it as some sort of mutual agreement/resolution with buyer and seller.

-this is actually kinda scary, because buyers could get screwed out of their claim.

3. The agent says not to do ANYTHING in regards to the request of cancellation and/or close the SNAD dispute until I get my refund.

Since the seller did respond to the dispute and agreed to a refund, I can input my tracking number into the dispute. If the seller does not refund my money within 2 days of receiving, I can call ebay to get the refund through ebay and they'll close out my claim for me.

From my own personal experience and advice I learned from tpf, I am so glad that I took pics right away and uploaded my pics to an open site. In my initial email contacting the seller, I had provided the link of the site. The email to the seller and the pics were all sent the day I received the item. There was absolutely no laziness and lag time from me. I had everything (date) documented on ebay messaging. Thus, when I spoke with the ebay agent, she was able to refer to every correspondence that I had with the seller as well look at the pics.

I was talking about the number of claims a BUYER does is supposed to affect their account, not the seller. I could be misinformed.
To the OP: good luck and do keep us posted
Ok I so just got off the phone with Ebay CS. Surprisingly, I actually got someone from the US. WOW!

Anyway her advice:

1. It IS ebay's protocol for buyers to open a claim regardless if buyer and seller are working on a resolution just for their BUYER'S PROTECTION POLICY. The numbers of claims against a seller does not affect a seller's account. The only thing that would affect a seller's account is FEEDBACK.
2. The Ebay agent noted in her records that the partial reimbursement was for return shipping, but yes otherwise ebay might see it as some sort of mutual agreement/resolution with buyer and seller.

-this is actually kinda scary, because buyers could get screwed out of their claim.

3. The agent says not to do ANYTHING in regards to the request of cancellation and/or close the SNAD dispute until I get my refund.

Since the seller did respond to the dispute and agreed to a refund, I can input my tracking number into the dispute. If the seller does not refund my money within 2 days of receiving, I can call ebay to get the refund through ebay and they'll close out my claim for me.

From my own personal experience and advice I learned from tpf, I am so glad that I took pics right away and uploaded my pics to an open site. In my initial email contacting the seller, I had provided the link of the site. The email to the seller and the pics were all sent the day I received the item. There was absolutely no laziness and lag time from me. I had everything (date) documented on ebay messaging. Thus, when I spoke with the ebay agent, she was able to refer to every correspondence that I had with the seller as well look at the pics.

UPDATE: So I had to call ebay back because the last time I forgot to get a confirmation on the seller's address to mail it back. I wanted confirmation that it was ebay/paypal verified.

While I was on the call, I asked the agent whether or not having alot of cases affect your ebay status as a buyer. Agent confirmed that it does not regardless of being a buyer or a seller. They understand that returns will happen.

The only thing affecting buyers if they get a NPB strike. And sellers would be "flags", neg feedback, etc.

This story is getting weirder and weirder. I just got an email from ebay today ([email protected]) with the title Unpaid Item Reminder. The email looks like a typical ebay email but the content has this:

Hi [my ebay handle],
According to our records, you haven't responded to [seller's handle]'s notification regarding payment for item [item title].This unpaid item case was opened on 2010-03-27 20:51:59.0.
If you've already resolved this situation through email or paid for the item, please let us know by responding through our Resolution Center.

To avoid receiving an unpaid item strike, please resolve this situation within seven days of the date the notification was sent to you.​

I never had an unpaid notice nor have I have any pending payment. The only cases open is the SNAD case (still waiting for the refund) and the Request for Cancellation case from this seller. Ironically the 7 days ends today!!!

I went onto my ebay page and did not see anything in regards to a NPB. Not wanting to cancel any of my cases by mistake, I called ebay.

Ebay CS stated they never sent this email. And in actuality this email address [email protected] is not theirs. I forwarded the email to their investigation team.

But it does seem a little funny that everything weird is revolved around this specific case and seller.