Can opening a claim/dispute be bad for the seller?

crazzee_shopper

Now a Mrs.
Jan 13, 2010
So long story short I bought an item that was SNAD. After communicating with the seller, she agreed to a full return.

I had asked in another thread if I should open a SNAD claim even though the seller agreed to a refund. A tpf member said yes just in case the seller is shady and is being nice to an unsuspected buyer then later screwing the buyer over.

Paypal had originally refused to give out the seller's address due to privacy issues.

I had contacted both ebay and paypal just for reconfirmation. I had stated in my email that I had a communicative seller agreeing to a full refund upon return. I just wanted to double check if the address was ebay/paypal verified, and to see if I would be covered under the ebay buyer's protection policy.

Paypal replied back by email that I will need to get authorization from them to return the item in order to get buyer's protection, and that I needed to open a SNAD claim.

So....now my troubles begin.

The seller is POed stating that the claim will now go on her record. (Is that a bad thing?) She wanted to know why I w

Last edited:
So I just found something interesting from another thread: http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/another-ebay-story-involving-gift-card-573100.html

I then called paypal and told them the story . They stated do not take a return and if she returns it refuse it since she has not opened a dispute yet.

Did ebay/paypal recently changed their return policy? Or has this always been the case where sellers should not accept return until buyer opens a dispute. And that buyer needs to open a dispute in order to have buyer protection.

I am sooo confused.

Do not cancel anything. The times I've opened claims with paypal, I always called and asked them about it and they've always told me NEVER EVER cancel anything unless it's 1000000% solved because by canceling, you're basically saying to paypal you do NOT want their intervention in this which means if the seller is being shady, you've got no protection because YOU cancelled the claim and it cannot be re-opened.

I'm unsure about the partial refund/return shipping though. I'd ask paypal about it just in case if you do accept the "partial" refund, you might not be eligible for a full refund as you and the seller worked out.

Maybe it's just my area of study (criminal justice), but I understand why you opened the claim...it's not personal, it's just a business transaction. (Same as a pre-nuptial agreement or a contract between business partners). Maybe explain to the seller that it's no offense personally but in this day and age of fakes and scams, it's safer to be protected under ebay/paypal's policies for you AND her.

So I just found something interesting from another thread: http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/another-ebay-story-involving-gift-card-573100.html

I then called paypal and told them the story . They stated do not take a return and if she returns it refuse it since she has not opened a dispute yet.

Did ebay/paypal recently changed their return policy? Or has this always been the case where sellers should not accept return until buyer opens a dispute. And that buyer needs to open a dispute in order to have buyer protection.

I am sooo confused.

I'd call paypal and if this is true, you opening a claim just saved the seller too and you should tell the seller as well.

^I actually didn't get a request to accept the partial refund. It was automatically refunded back to me. It was sent to paypal and paypal sent it straight to my cc. I wasn't even aware about it until I got an email from paypal that they put money back in my cc as a partial refund.

Hmmm...interesting. I think you're smart in opening the claim. I'd call paypal and explain to them the situation so they can advise you on returning the bag and getting your refund. My only piece of advice is NOT to cancel the claim because you won't be able to reopen it.

To continue from the original post...

The seller is POed stating that the claim will now go on her record. (Is that a bad thing?) She wanted to know why I would open a claim against her and not extend her good will.

I had stated in my claim that the seller was being communicative and that I only opened a claim at the advice of EBAY and PAYPAL.

Now 2 issues:
The seller had offered to pay for return shipping as an act of good will. It wasn't expected, but a nice surprise. ONLY THING, she had sent a partial reimbursement back of $10.xx for return shipment from my payment to her. My worry is that when she does reimburse me for the return, she only reimburses the remaining amount. Thus, I didn't really get a FREE return shipping. That really doesn't bother me so much. What concerns me is if ebay/paypal sees the partial reimbursement as me agreeing to a "partial reimbursement and keeping the item" and will not validate my claim for a full reimbursement and return.

2. Seller has sent me a request of cancellation of the transaction so she can get her FVF back. My question is if I agree to this cancellation prior to the case being settled, would it cancel out my claim?

I would also keep the claim open and then do the return through there...I am confused about the partial refund though? Were you supposed to get a partial refund or full refund? And yes disputes go on your file...I can see all my past disputes but I don't believe that they would affect her unless she has had many SNAD's. I guess she's just pissed which is understandable but its hard to trust with all the shady sellers and buyers around!

^ my last post went up right when you posted!

1) If the partial refund becomes an issue then send in the emails where the seller indicated that she was going to cover your return shipping. And whether or not she reimburses the remainder is really up to her.

2) Do not cancel the transaction until she has fully refunded you. If you cancel the transaction then in ebay/PP eyes...it never happened.

Thanks proshopper.

I had recently written a thread about this seller. The seller stated in her auction that she prides herself in only having one negative feedback amongst thousands of positive feedback. Out of curiosity, I had goofbay her id so I can see her negative. I found out that she had a ton of feedback cancellations. Where her buyers had stated neutral or negative and for some reason it was later withdrawn. Unfortunately, I saw all of this AFTER purchasing the item from her.

I am wondering if this seller knows many ways to scam her buyers, ie. partial reimbursement so that full refund can't happen; request for cancellation of transaction so full refund can't happen; etc.

I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe that she is honest about trying to work with me.

Suggest you keep your hard up. Alot of times, I find sellers often are able to 'buy' positive feedback by offering partial refunds etc

Waaay back when I was just starting out on ebay, I let unscrupulous sellers convince me to leave them positive feedback in return for a partial refund because I wasn't completely happy. On hindsight, I should have left them neutrals just so it would be red-flagged by others.

Thanks proshopper.

I had recently written a thread about this seller. The seller stated in her auction that she prides herself in only having one negative feedback amongst thousands of positive feedback. Out of curiosity, I had goofbay her id so I can see her negative. I found out that she had a ton of feedback cancellations. Where her buyers had stated neutral or negative and for some reason it was later withdrawn. Unfortunately, I saw all of this AFTER purchasing the item from her.

I am wondering if this seller knows many ways to scam her buyers, ie. partial reimbursement so that full refund can't happen; request for cancellation of transaction so full refund can't happen; etc.

I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe that she is honest about trying to work with me.

Ah...it was THAT seller. I remember that thread...I think I commented on it.

I agree, I think this seller may be "buying" people's withdrawals or positive feedbacks with partial reimbursements. To a buyer, they're getting $$$, why would they care about this seller scamming someone else?

I think in this day and age, it's hard to give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Some are obvious scammers (off ebay transaction, money order, etc) but others, like this seller appears to be are the worst because they appear to be trustworthy but are actually wolf in sheep's clothing.

If paypal requires a claim to be filed for a return, they can't turn around and "punish" or "mark" the seller every time there's a claim opened against them. Know what I mean?