Can one clean H locks in ultrasonic cleaner?

KWittman

Things Are Good
Sep 22, 2006
Great Falls, MT
I know you can do the keys, but I'm wondering if it gums up the works to put the locks through? Or should you just brush the exteriors?:confused1:

gracekelly

The Red Queen
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
Why do you need to do that? Just use a rouge cloth on the exterior of the lock if it is tarnishing.

KWittman

Things Are Good
Sep 22, 2006
Great Falls, MT
Why do you need to do that? Just use a rouge cloth on the exterior of the lock if it is tarnishing.
OK.

I wanted to switch it up with one bag this summer, so I moved a contrasting cadena to the bag I have been carrying, but the bags had different hardware and obviously I wanted to keep it the same. I had one lock and keys temporarily separated from their original cadena in a basket. My cat peed in the basket.

I hope that clears this bizarre situation up ... and I hope I didn't give too many of you complete heart attacks.

gracekelly

The Red Queen
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
Not sure I followed all of that. Cat pee on the lock? LOL! Just wipe off the outside, doubt it managed to find the way inside. It would be an interesting story to tell the craftsman at the boutique Ha Ha!

lilyhermes

O.G.
Apr 23, 2008
Not sure I followed all of that. Cat pee on the lock? LOL! Just wipe off the outside, doubt it managed to find the way inside. It would be an interesting story to tell the craftsman at the boutique Ha Ha!
Yeah, I'd love to see Claude's face when you tell him about the cat pee on the lock. He's probably heard worse, but still. Those darn cats pick the worst places to ahem, answer the call, don't they.

All I can think of is allanrvj's "zee chat peed on zee Burkenz lock." Oh, it needs allan to do it justice.

Encore Hermes

·...¸><((((º>·´¯`·.
O.G.
Aug 6, 2007
villa di como
At least the bag was not in the basket.....

I would buy a new lock. Cat might be inclined to use bag like litter box or spray on it if it smells the tiniest residual. Plus C. urine is nasty strong stuff and might be eating away at the finish as we speak so it is done anyway.

lilyhermes

O.G.
Apr 23, 2008
At least the bag was not in the basket.....

I would buy a new lock. Cat might be inclined to use bag like litter box or spray on it if it smells the tiniest residual. Plus C. urine is nasty strong stuff and might be eating away at the finish as we speak so it is done anyway.
Encore, that is a darn good idea. There's nothing worse that cat urine, especially if it's male cat urine. That stuff can disolve paint!

And, yes, that Birkin could sadly turn into one very expensive litter box. My male cat once used my sister's Gucci suitcase as a litter box (most likely because my sister's cat had brushed up against it at one point). My sister was definitely not amused, and we never did completely banish that smell from her poor suitcase. If it was damp, the Gucci smelled of cat pee. She finally gave up and tossed it, and I have stuck to female cats only ever since the infamous suitcase escapade.

mistikat

Bling!
O.G.
Sep 2, 2006
We had two (now one) female cats and sadly, female cat pee in a suitcase doesn't smell any better over time...

I would also get a new lock. Cats have very good senses of smell and it would be awful if next time, one of your bags got nailed.

gracekelly

The Red Queen
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
Cat ladies, what would happen if you buried the lock in kitty litter? Would it take away the smell?

mistikat

Bling!
O.G.
Sep 2, 2006
If it got into the key mechanism, nope. And cat urine is reallllllllly hard to get rid of, smell-wise.

Encore Hermes

·...¸><((((º>·´¯`·.
O.G.
Aug 6, 2007
villa di como
Cat ladies, what would happen if you buried the lock in kitty litter? Would it take away the smell?

.................kitty litter in a cat box is for elimination only, not sanitation. The litter acts as a clumping mechanism for easy disposal. Some litter has perfume or baking soda added to mask the ummmmmm aroma but it will not sanitize the urine.

Encore Hermes

·...¸><((((º>·´¯`·.
O.G.
Aug 6, 2007
villa di como
This reminds me. Had a cat in college, super cat. Well, one year bought a swell bean bag chair made out of that pleather stuff (perfect in the dorm). Anyhoo, loved that chair and one day, so did the cat, smack dab in the middle..............you can probably see where this is leading........so later, I plop down in my fav. chair and ewwwwwww. Had to toss what I had been wearing, and the so cool bean bag chair. Even if I could get the smell out (doubt) the cat would have gone back to the chair. Seriously, I would toss the lock.

calicocat

Coromandel please :)
O.G.
Jan 29, 2009
LOL EH!

To avoid repetitive offenses, there are enzyme-based pheromone-blocker type of clear spray/liquid that would work for certain materials only (usually for carpets, rugs, walls, certain upholstery/furniture) but I don't think they'd work on metal.. Odor might be (very difficult though!) manageable using Urine-Off or Pet's Miracle products for example, but like EH said, although the odor's gone, the pheromone would likely stay.. Which may lead to more marking attempts by other pets :Push: ..

KWittman

Things Are Good
Sep 22, 2006
Great Falls, MT
***I put the lock into the ultrasonic cleaner***

Worst case, like you all said, I will buy another lock. Best case, it works out and I can add something useful to the TPF archives.

Honestly I just couldn't stand the idea of urine in my H lock. Yeah, it was at the bottom of the basket. I swear to God, I like my cats. I do like my cats. Repeat. I do like my cats.