Can infused olive oil go bad?

1. I have some olive oil with a couple vanilla beans in it, it's maybe 8-12 months old, has been stored in a cupboard. Now there is this fluffy cloudiness, mostly around the beans but a little floating around also. Doesn't smell off or weird. Is this mold? Suppose I should toss it but thought I would check first, hate to waste it.

2. Was is homemade? It definitely can be bad, infused oils can have a fairly short shelf life.

3. Dorcast is right. I always store fancy oils in the frig since I don't use them up quickly.

4. I'd toss it... you could get sick from using it...

5. It can contain botulism. Don't eat it!

6. If olive is not stored properly & not kept away from sunlight & fluctuating temps, it can go bad

7. I should have taken my own advice about oils going bad and the necessity for keeping oils in the frig.

In January, I was going thru my supplement bottles and found some Salmon Oil capsules I had forgotten were in the cupboard. It had been 7+ months since I last took one.

So I popped two capsules. Holy Moly - was I sick!!!

The salmon oil had gone bad. The first two days I was nauseous and quite weak. The taste of bad fish was in my mouth. Taste got better but I still felt knocked-out weak for several more days. It took a week to get my strength and usual iron tummy back.

Lesson learned: don't mess with oils!
    Refrigerate and use soon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice