Can I trust a Private/In-Home Hair Salon?

Crystalina

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
Ok, so I'm struggling with what to do...

I usually go to a high end salon and see a senior stylist for foil highlights and cut. They have since raised their prices and with a tip, I end up spending about $240.

I found an at home beauty salon run by a lady who does hair I'm her home. She's been a stylist for 7 years, uses Redken products and has some photos of her portfolio on her website (which look pretty good).

The best part is that she charges about $100 less than I'd be paying at the salon.

I've never had my hair do e by someone in their home, which makes me nervous, mostly about the quality.

Any advice, thoughts or experiences you'd like to share? Thanks!!!

As long as she is licensed, she can buy the same products that any other stylist that works in a salon can. Many stylists that typically rent space in a salon have moved into their homes because with the lack of business lately, they don't have their weekly salon rent to worry about that way.

If you've seen her portfolio and know she does good work and know she is licensed, there is no difference in working out of her home vs. working in a salon.

Ok, so I'm struggling with what to do...

I usually go to a high end salon and see a senior stylist for foil highlights and cut. They have since raised their prices and with a tip, I end up spending about $240.

I found an at home beauty salon run by a lady who does hair I'm her home. She's been a stylist for 7 years, uses Redken products and has some photos of her portfolio on her website (which look pretty good).

The best part is that she charges about $100 less than I'd be paying at the salon.

I've never had my hair do e by someone in their home, which makes me nervous, mostly about the quality.

Any advice, thoughts or experiences you'd like to share? Thanks!!!

I guess the only way to find out is to go right? you have had your hair done many times so you know what to expect right? I would go in for a consultation and feel her out. look around and see if her place is clean, ask her how she plans on coloring your hair etc. if she seems really knowledgeable and answers all of your questions then I say give her a shot. you might end up loving her and saving some money :smile:

Yes you can like I love louie said get a consultation and get a feel for her work. I have a few friends who do hair at home, you make more money than working in a salon. After the set up costs, continual education requirements, and insurance you can do pretty well and you have more control of your schedule.

Most stylists also do some work on the side; is it possible your senior person would consider this. If you like your person at the salon I would at least discuss it so they know why you may leave. The at home person could be great and maybe more flexible for you.

My old stylish had a hair salon attached to her home. It used to be her garage but was done like a professional salon with all the equipment. I would not want to go to a person's home and wash my hair in their kitchen sink because they work from home. I would hope a hair dresser working from home has the proper space and equipment to run a professional business and making sure it is clean would be the first think I would notice. I would check out the place first to see how our feel about her and her working conditions.

My stylist worked at a salon for a while, but when she and her husband bought their new house, she constructed a salon in her home. She's licensed in the same way as before and uses the same products as before. So I would have no problem with it, as long as the stylist had good reviews and is licensed.

My stylist has a salon set up in her house. She has all the normal chairs. sink, etc., that you'd find in a commercial salon.

Hi, when my hairstylist left her high-end salon to work from her home, I followed her. I did that for a few years, then she went back to high-end salons. Then for years she would come to my house to do my hair. I stayed with her the entire time. As for my hair, the results were always great; the only thing that fluctuated widely was the price, depending on where she was working at the time! I say give it a try. If anything, you'll probably save money if they're working from their home, and if she's a good stylist, the results shouldn't be bad, either. Good luck.

I have my hair done by the hair stylist who usually works backstage on fashion weeks and shoots, so when she is in town for Paris fashion week she does my hair.
Its cheaper and I trust her 100% whereas when I went to luxe salons I often left disappointed.
If she has experience and nice portfolio I would go. :smile:

I agree with advice to go for a consult. Have you seen recommendations from other clients?
I went for a consult with one stylist who worked out of her home. She had been recommended by an online "friend"
She was cheap and probably would have done a fine job but I didn't like her set-up. Salon was in the garage and I intentionally asked to use the restroom and found the house to be kind of untidy.
But I'm sure there are many fine stylists who work out of very clean homes. I'd schedule a consult.

I would get a new stylist at the high end salon you like. A home stylist may be cheap, and that may be ok for now. But they will not have the latest techniques, training, products, and knowledge a real stylist gets at High end salon.

I did that for a while... My high end stylist ($300.0+) went independent and opened up her own salon with one other stylist at her new place. I loved her at first, but after a while, I felt she was not telling me about new cuts, colors, trends, etc. She was just cutting my hair great, but typically the same technique.

Then I went back to a high end salon and wow... I had been missing out on new hair fashion. Not just cut, but techniques, and new products.

I will always go to a high end salon.
Sure, you pay more, but your hair will always be fashionable and chic!

I hope this was helpful.

I have followed my stylist from salon, to salon suite where she rented her own space, to her home over the past 8 years. I have found that she keeps to her schedule and I can text her if I need to add an appointment other than my usually scheduled every 2 weeks, eg for special occasions
She is def very well versed on the new techniques and products. Just like Doctors she is required to have a certain number of education hours per year to keep her license. In order to shop in the stylist supply store she has to have a license!

You need a good referral. It all depends on the circumstances and of course sanitation is key.

My best stylist ever worked from home in between working on movies. Had to make appointments around her schedule. Still miss her great cuts but happy for her success.

My old stylist use to work from her home, until she opened her own salon. I met her while working in a salon, but she got tired of paying rent and wanted her own salon.