Can I ship to an unconfirmed address if...

OP, I would not ship to this seller...the different locations with the Phil and CA listed is just wacky.

BTW, my home and office address are "confirmed" in Paypal and only my home address is tied to my credit card.

You are protected as long as you ship it to the address that she chose in her paypal invoice and you send it with a tracking method like international priority.

I have had over 80 items sent this way to non-confirmed addresses, no problem.
Basically, only U.S. addresses show as 'confirmed' in paypal.

Any other country, even if the home address and credit card address are the same, they do not show as 'confirmed'.
That is why ebay changed their policy to "recommended but not required".
I have had this explained to be numerous times by ebay just so I would feel reassured.

If you feel she is sincere, the risk is the same as selling domestically.
"Confirmed address" is just an extra precaution on ebay.
It is by no means a safety gauge for international bidders;)

ps. there are increasingly global people in the world who have several homes in different countries or are expats who get moved around every few years but they keep their home base in the U.S. (hence overseas bank account)
You cannot criminalize these circumstances if even ebay is understanding about that right?

You are protected as long as you ship it to the address that she chose in her paypal invoice and you send it with a tracking method like international priority.

I have had over 80 items sent this way to non-confirmed addresses, no problem.
Basically, only U.S. addresses show as 'confirmed' in paypal.

Any other country, even if the home address and credit card address are the same, they do not show as 'confirmed'.
That is why ebay changed their policy to "recommended but not required".
I have had this explained to be numerous times by ebay just so I would feel reassured.

If you feel she is sincere, the risk is the same as selling domestically.
"Confirmed address" is just an extra precaution on ebay.
It is by no means a safety gauge for international bidders;)

You explained this better than what I said. Thank you.

^^Agree, Hotshot, but I will say this again: OP, if you are serious about considering this deal, you need to call PP and see how and if you are covered.

The key for Paypal seller protection is the word "Eligible" on the Paypal transaction page. As long as the transaction is "eligible", you are o.k. All confirmed addresses will be "eligible". Some uconfirmed addresses will be "eligible". Unfortunately with unconfirmed addresses the seller doesn't know whether or not they will be "eligible" until after the payment has been made.

I understand your concern about seller protection because of two different countries being involved. If she issues a chargeback on her credit card, you will have no protection. I agree with mmmsc - check with Paypal to see if this transaction would be "eligible".

BTW, right now address confirmation is available in the US, UK and Canada. I don't know if there are any others.

The key for Paypal seller protection is the word "Eligible" on the Paypal transaction page. As long as the transaction is "eligible", you are o.k. All confirmed addresses will be "eligible". Some uconfirmed addresses will be "eligible". Unfortunately with unconfirmed addresses the seller doesn't know whether or not they will be "eligible" until after the payment has been made.

Correct. I have many of unconfirmed address buyers, but 99,9% of that has the "ELIGIBLE" on the my Paypal transaction page-so I for sure good to go!

I will be hesitate even if the transaction page shows "PARTIALLY ELIGIBLE" in which I contact my buyer, explain the situation and refund the money.

For the OP, I am in agreement with some posters, you need to call Paypal to find out, and in your case I will be concern too if I were you.

Last edited:
I want to thank you all for your comments and advice. Here's what happened: After going back and forth, I decided to let the sale go through because she said the CA address was on Paypal and she'd used it w/Bonz and ebay in the past. Plus I read here AND on Paypal that a confirmed address was not necessarily required.

But there were two problems: 1) The transaction was in fact "partially eligible" which concerned me. If the buyer claimed the transaction was unauthorized, I wouldn't be protected. 2) She doesn't in fact live in CA, she lives in the Philippines and wanted the package sent to a forwarding company in CA. That's not what I understood initially; she implied she lived in CA but cc was registered in home country. These kind of sales are tricky enough sometimes without having a third party involved. If the forwarding company misplaced the package or whatever, I get the feeling *I* would pay the price.

I issued a refund. I should have just stuck with my initial decision which was no! I don't sell stuff that often and may just stop completely. It's so stressful trying to avoid scams yet trying to do the right thing for honest buyers.

Thanks again.

I think you did the right thing. If she really wants the bag that badly can she send you a WU or other payment that you can collect cash before sending the item? I would not take a "foreign" money order but if she has ties in Calif., perhaps she has access to a USPS money order? Cash it at your P.O. before shipping the item.

OP, you do the right thing to refunded your buyer-she does not even lives in CA-and that address was only a forwarding address. As I mentioned earlier, I do not even ship item if the Paypal page stated "Partially Illegible"

Yikes! OP, I def. think that you did the right thing by refunding the money. Everything just does not sound good at all. I am sorry that you had to go thru that, but too me it sounds risky and fishy. Good luck!

Surprising as it may seem, it could possibly be a legit/honest transaction. I'm from the Phils and I use a forwarding company (particularly Forex Cargo) to have the items sent to me. I've done this for several items on the Bay (CLs, Fiebings Ink dyes, exercise DVDs, you name it) and have had no problems so far. :tup: Just saying that there are honest, trustworthy buyers out there who use this method (it doesn't go for all though. Still best to check their feedback, transaction history :coolio:)