Can I rant about Craig's List here?

joy&lv

Obsessed
O.G.
Mar 20, 2009
I have been selling off some of my overflowing Coach and LV collection on CL... and I would just like to say... I AM SICK OF PEOPLE!:rant:

I love a good bargain off CL as much as the next person. I make offers, too. But I make reasonable ones, even if they don't think it is reasonable. I always tell the seller that apologize if my offer is lower than they expected. I am NEVER, EVER RUDE!

So these past few days I've been getting people who claim to be LV collectors and they make RIDICULOUSLY LOW BALL OFFERS, because they don't believe I describe the item CORRECTLY. They send nasty email, claiming that I AM NOT A REAL COLLECTOR because I DON'T KNOW BETTER!:censor: I take SO MANY photos and the correct ones for authentication. I priced the items less than 1/4 of original retail, less than what people BIN on eBay, and they want to pay less than $50!:cursing:

On top of it all, they still want me to accept their offers and send multiple email asking for response!

I don't know why I even bother. Thanks for listening/reading... I just needed to vent... MODs, you can close the thread if I post it the wrong place... since, there isn't a CL Rant thread or a CL forum... I tried searching... I think I am almost over it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain!! I used to sell on CL too. I just replied to you on my thread about the freaky buyer who is "never home to get her packages". Anyway, I stopped selling on CL because of phishing schemes and people from Nigeria asking me to ship there and they'd have their "carrier" drop off a check at my house, etc???????? Helllooo? Of course, they had no carrier, they'd send a fake paypal page to my emails trying to get me to log in.:censor:

I feel your pain!! I used to sell on CL too. I just replied to you on my thread about the freaky buyer who is "never home to get her packages". Anyway, I stopped selling on CL because of phishing schemes and people from Nigeria asking me to ship there and they'd have their "carrier" drop off a check at my house, etc???????? Helllooo? Of course, they had no carrier, they'd send a fake paypal page to my emails trying to get me to log in.:censor:

I have had that happen to me once, the "My assistance send you a check, wire me back the rest of the $$ scam" of course, I did not fall for that.

I have had people ask me for DATES! Or phising for phone number, I guess.

But I buy from eBay but selling on eBay... I cannot do. Just too many horror stories of bad buyers.

This way, they see the item and they pay cash. No buyer remorse, no changing their minds... it is just done.

I just had to comment because I sold something on CL earlier today and my buyer was a b!tch! She made me drive out to where she was (about a 15 min drive, not a huge deal, but still, annoying) and then decided to haggle the price with me in the parking lot, because she didn't see the flaws of the item properly in the photos! UGH!!!!!! So annoying! The best part? It was over $5 freaking dollars! I sold it to her even though I had someone else interested in the purse because I just didn't feel like dealing with holding onto a purse that I haven't used in over 4 years any longer, but she put me in such a sour mood after that, who does that?!

A couple of years ago I sold Linkin Park tickets on CL because I didn't want to go to the concert anymore. They were sold out tickets, and for the pit at that, and I was selling them at face value. I got TONS of e-mails from people offering me 1/2 of what they were selling for, and they were annoyed when I told them no!

People have some nerve, that's for sure. The stuff on CL is cheap, and while I can understand wanting to stretch your dollar the furthest, it just amazes me how rude some people can be. It's like common sense and courtesy has just gone out the window with some of these people! I've purchased a few home furnishings from CL before, but I've never once haggled the price, I just pay what someone is asking. I know that even if I go to Ikea, I can't get an almost new coffee table for $20, so why try and be a cheap scrooge, kwim?

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel a lot better! =)

Craigslist sucks sometimes, but does have it's positives.

With CL you must mention in your listing that payment is cash only, and the price is firm- no exceptions.
I would actually use a specific email for CL too because some items could generate a lot of emails (but they don't have your email for future spamming if you hide it in the listing).

I've had positive experiences, and negative. I've had people show up and guy and it was perfect. I've also had people be rude, be stuck up, and try to rip me off.

It just depends on the person. When emails don't go smoothly, I generally just end it right there.

I've been successful selling lots of the stuff I no longer use on CL. Ignore buyers like that add them on your spam list and use a seperate email for CL contact.. you don't want stalkers/freaks/Nigerian scams.

Don't get me wrong. I have had many success on CL, just some buyers just makes me SICK! They don't read the entire ad, or follow the directions. They want to pay "half" of what you asking which is already very low because it is CL after all. No one pays premium on CL... I get it...

I've stop replying to rude buyer response because it is not worth it. Sometimes, I write the nasty reply then trash it, just to feel better.

I just had to comment because I sold something on CL earlier today and my buyer was a b!tch! She made me drive out to where she was (about a 15 min drive, not a huge deal, but still, annoying) and then decided to haggle the price with me in the parking lot, because she didn't see the flaws of the item properly in the photos! UGH!!!!!! So annoying! The best part? It was over $5 freaking dollars! I sold it to her even though I had someone else interested in the purse because I just didn't feel like dealing with holding onto a purse that I haven't used in over 4 years any longer, but she put me in such a sour mood after that, who does that?!

A couple of years ago I sold Linkin Park tickets on CL because I didn't want to go to the concert anymore. They were sold out tickets, and for the pit at that, and I was selling them at face value. I got TONS of e-mails from people offering me 1/2 of what they were selling for, and they were annoyed when I told them no!

People have some nerve, that's for sure. The stuff on CL is cheap, and while I can understand wanting to stretch your dollar the furthest, it just amazes me how rude some people can be. It's like common sense and courtesy has just gone out the window with some of these people! I've purchased a few home furnishings from CL before, but I've never once haggled the price, I just pay what someone is asking. I know that even if I go to Ikea, I can't get an almost new coffee table for $20, so why try and be a cheap scrooge, kwim?

I have had this happen before! I usually tell them that if they just want to "look at it" then I am not interested. Once, we agree on the price, either they take it or leave it when we meet. No price haggling.

I mean, most of us are just trying to clean out our closet. I am not desperate for money. In truth, I'd like to keep all my LVs but I simple don't have the room for them. So if they "haggle" then they are "forcing me" to keep the bag... oh, I am just SO SAD that I HAD to keep my LV... **tear** NOT!

I just sold bunches Coach items from $20-$40. They were all like new or new with tags. The people who bought them told me, they had no idea I meant it when I said, they were NEW and LIKE NEW.

I probably do pretty well on eBay but I just love the fact that cash is in my hand and there is no regret on their part.

I totally agree! Some people will send you the most outlandish offers, and then THEY get mad when you refuse their offer. Sometimes I just have to laugh it off rather than react to my instinct that's telling me to send them a smart*** email in return to theirs.

I've had positive experiences, and negative. I've had people show up and guy and it was perfect. I've also had people be rude, be stuck up, and try to rip me off.

It just depends on the person. When emails don't go smoothly, I generally just end it right there

I agree! I recently gave up communicating with a seller over a new Coach Carly bag on CL. I emailed her to see if she still the bag...she did. I had asked her in that original email to please send me the serial number so that I could do some research online to make sure it was the size I needed. She didn't answer that question. I email her again to let her know that I'd be near her area this past weekend, and to please let me know that serial number because if it's the size I want, I intend to purchase with no haggling. She emails back and says "it's a medium sized bag." Well from what I've seen, opinion on sizes varies about as much as condition with a lot of people. I just gave up after asking her twice and she wouldn't tell me. I feel like she was attempting to sell me a fake, and didn't know what to do when I kept pressing the issue. I told her thanks for her time, but I couldn't buy a bag from someone who wasn't willing to at least give me the serial number from the bag.

It's too bad that such a useful website has turned into a cesspool of scammers and spammers.

This drives me nuts. Makes it really aggravating to sell something on there. I hate having to weed through all the spammers to find that one message that is from a legitimate buyer.

I have had this happen before! I usually tell them that if they just want to "look at it" then I am not interested. Once, we agree on the price, either they take it or leave it when we meet. No price haggling.

I mean, most of us are just trying to clean out our closet. I am not desperate for money. In truth, I'd like to keep all my LVs but I simple don't have the room for them. So if they "haggle" then they are "forcing me" to keep the bag... oh, I am just SO SAD that I HAD to keep my LV... **tear** NOT!

I just sold bunches Coach items from $20-$40. They were all like new or new with tags. The people who bought them told me, they had no idea I meant it when I said, they were NEW and LIKE NEW.

I probably do pretty well on eBay but I just love the fact that cash is in my hand and there is no regret on their part.

I wish there were more CL sellers near me like YOU! I'd love to have more like new Coach bags at a great price!

I have had generally pleasant experiences buying & selling on CL. Of course, as a seller, I've had the flake buyers who promise to meet you at a certain time and then end up not showing slash wasting your time, but ooh well. Life is just too short to get that worked up over no-shows and low-ballers, KWIM?