Can I pull off the J.Crew Parisienne sweater?

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I initially saw the pear and hen sweaters that J.Crew put out last fall and thought, "those are cute....just not something I could pull off". Well I was at my local J.Crew and I saw the Parisienne sweater and I can't get over how cute it is. Here is my challenge (and something I struggle with a lot). I used to just buy what I loved and I found myself with an incoherent style in my closet. I have since cleaned out everything trendy, filled my closet w/ good quality, classic pieces that I feel good when wearing and I feel like I am not only defining my style but building a great mix and match wardrobe. What I cannot decide is if the parisienne sweater is too whimsical, young or trendy to fit into my style and wardrobe.

I own a lot of J.crew pieces but my go-tos are No 2 pencils, silk blouses and school boy blazers. I do wear and love unusually pieces but they are usually more stylish than trendy (I own the NO 2 pencil in the cream, black and gray snakeskin for example and I would live in that skirt if I could).

Ladies, please tell me...is this sweater appropriate for a 30 something, conservative mom of 2 who works in the financial sector?

http://www.polyvore.com/la_parisienne_sweater/thing?id=68098556

I initially saw the pear and hen sweaters that J.Crew put out last fall and thought, "those are cute....just not something I could pull off". Well I was at my local J.Crew and I saw the Parisienne sweater and I can't get over how cute it is. Here is my challenge (and something I struggle with a lot). I used to just buy what I loved and I found myself with an incoherent style in my closet. I have since cleaned out everything trendy, filled my closet w/ good quality, classic pieces that I feel good when wearing and I feel like I am not only defining my style but building a great mix and match wardrobe. What I cannot decide is if the parisienne sweater is too whimsical, young or trendy to fit into my style and wardrobe.

I own a lot of J.crew pieces but my go-tos are No 2 pencils, silk blouses and school boy blazers. I do wear and love unusually pieces but they are usually more stylish than trendy (I own the NO 2 pencil in the cream, black and gray snakeskin for example and I would live in that skirt if I could).

Ladies, please tell me...is this sweater appropriate for a 30 something, conservative mom of 2 who works in the financial sector?

http://www.polyvore.com/la_parisienne_sweater/thing?id=68098556

It sounds like you really do want it. I think you should get it. It would be nice to have something different and unexpected to change up your wardrobe. I own the French hen one and have enjoyed wearing it. I am also a 30 something with 2 kids in a corporate job :smile:

It sounds like you really do want it. I think you should get it. It would be nice to have something different and unexpected to change up your wardrobe. I own the French hen one and have enjoyed wearing it. I am also a 30 something with 2 kids in a corporate job :smile:

Thank you.have you ever worn it to work with a pencil skirt or something else conservative in dress?

I work in a very corporate real estate office w/mortgage and insurance support.....and attorneys who always wear suit/tie for men and nice dresses/skirt with tights/hose or dress slacks.

Last Tuesday at Sales meeting, one of the Realtors had on the hen sweater with a white collared shirt, single strand of pearls and black capris. I thought she looked fabulous(and told her so later in the morning). She must be late 40's, early 50s.

I frequently mix JCrew with my daily wardrobe. I think is classic and perfectly office appropriate.

Technically it was just a sweater, white button down and black pants:smile:

I say 'go for it'!!

I think it's fun and maybe not something you keep forever, maybe you have it for a few seasons....but a good weekend or non-meeting/casual Friday addition. I have been pretty careful about whimsical dressing in a conservative workplace environment .....we even came up with a name for it. We try to avoid the "quirky art teacher" look. For me it does not suit the role I have at work....but we're not at work 24/7.

Thank you.have you ever worn it to work with a pencil skirt or something else conservative in dress?

I have not worn it with any skirts, mainly jeans and black pants with a chambray shirt underneath. Like other posters mentioned, you can always wear casually in the weekend. Have fun wearing it :smile:

Get it! I have the same closet as you but I allow myself a handful of fun, whimsical pieces. These make all the difference!

Classic/Investment + a sprinkle of fun = fabulous!

I think it is cute for weekends but not for work I your work is conservative. I got some fun sweaters myself this year but I keep them for weekend wear only. A 20something in my office wore the hen sweater too. It was cute, but not exactly a power outfit. Cute doesn't make you look polished or serious, which is more my goal at work.

I have the hen sweater and worn it a few times. Got lots of compliments and it is adorable. However I'm regretting paying almost $100 on a sweater I probably won't wear much more. Sounds like you have more classic pieces and I think these whimsical sweaters are trendy. Maybe it was less $.

I showed the pic to DH and his response was ( I don't get it, those look juvenile". I thought the Parisienne was the last juvenile of the bunch (cat, hen, pear).
Am I right in that or am I getting caught up?

You're over thinking. You clearly like it so get it. As to whether you can wear it to the office...this depends on both your existing personal style (do you mix it up or only wear suits i.e. are people going to be taken aback at this sudden change?) and how you style it. i'd pair it with a black pencil skirt, thick black tights and fabulous shoes. Maybe some red lipstick. You can't have the rest of your outfit not be edgy.

By the way, don't be blinded by the label. If this was not J Crew and was, for example, Old Navy, would you be so quick to purchase?? If you love it, get it.

I showed the pic to DH and his response was ( I don't get it, those look juvenile". I thought the Parisienne was the last juvenile of the bunch (cat, hen, pear).
Am I right in that or am I getting caught up?

Do you look at the OOTD thread? There is a blogger that posts there that wears bold patterns. It might give you some ideas as to how this would look. You can see if you would feel comfortable with the style. You might even be able to try some things on in your closet that approximate the look and see how you feel wearing it.

You could take a picture of yourself and paste the sweater over it. That's what I would do if I were unsure.