Can I offer less than the BIN or starting bid price on...

Carolina59

Jan 3, 2008
a bag I'm interested in? There is not a best offer option, and the starting bid price is only $50 less than the BIN. I don't know what the etiquette is for this. There are no bids yet and it ends tomorrow. TIA.:flowers:

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
Dovunque voglia andare
Yes, the seller probably does this because she/he doesn't realize that they can do solely a fixed priced listing, and accidentally chose auction instead. Making it mandatory that she do a starting bid, so only did it $50 less.

If it's up there, you can bid. No worries.

Carolina59

Jan 3, 2008
Yes, the seller probably does this because she/he doesn't realize that they can do solely a fixed priced listing, and accidentally chose auction instead. Making it mandatory that she do a starting bid, so only did it $50 less.

If it's up there, you can bid. No worries.
Thanks, but I'm a little confused now. I need to contact her directly to offer a lower bid, right? I can't put a lower-than-starting-bid in the little box on the auction--it won't accept it, will it?

LT bag lady

MASTER ENABLER
Authenticator
O.G.
Apr 20, 2007
Have you heard of the live.com promotion. It's only 8% right now, but hey, it's something and depending on the price of the bag, that could be more than the 50 dollar diff.

CHeers,

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
Dovunque voglia andare
Thanks, but I'm a little confused now. I need to contact her directly to offer a lower bid, right? I can't put a lower-than-starting-bid in the little box on the auction--it won't accept it, will it?
Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the BIN price being $50 higher than her starting bid, which once you place the bid of that item, the BIN price will disappear.

But if you're wanting to offer a lower price than the starting price, well no, eBay won't allow you to do that. The only thing you can do is contact the seller directly and see if she'll accept a lower offer than her starting bid.

Otherwise, you would have to place a minimum bid of the exact starting bid or a bit higher.

Carolina59

Jan 3, 2008
But if you're wanting to offer a lower price than the starting price, well no, eBay won't allow you to do that. The only thing you can do is contact the seller directly and see if she'll accept a lower offer than her starting bid.

Otherwise, you would have to place a minimum bid of the exact starting bid or a bit higher.
Thanks for clarifying, onegirlcreative; that's what I thought. So I'll see what happens and contact her directly when it gets closer to the listing ending if she has had no other "bites."

And thanks, LT bag lady, I do know about live.com. Has it already gone down to 8%? It was 10% earlier today. Anyway, it only takes it down to the starting bid price. If it were still 25%, I would totally go for it.

Princess_lydz

Jul 17, 2008
UK
It doesnt hurt to ask ive asked plenty of times and 9 times out of 10 they agree - just dont make a ridiculously low offer :biggrin:

HuskyLover

O.G.
Apr 8, 2007
There have been several occasions where I'll watch something that's a little more than I'm wiling to pay, and if it gets close to the end with no bids, I'll contact the seller with an offer. Sometimes they agree, sometimes not! It's worth a try though.

RealMcCoy

Just one more word!
O.G.
Mar 10, 2008
Emerald Coast Florida
You will need to click on "Ask a question about this item" and send them your offer in a message. Be aware, they will not be able to negotiate and do the sale with you through the message system. Ebay does not allow transaction agreements outside the listing window. If they are informed sellers, working within eBay polocy, they have two options. They can revise their listing with the lower entry price (the one you offered) and submit that. That makes the same lower price available to everyone. Or, if they are feeling generous, they may revise it to a BIN (Buy It Now) or Make Best Offer - and deal only with you.

As a seller, I would lean to the first, go with the lower price and yet keep my options open and hope that someone else will bid higher than you, but know I have at least one bid to offset insertion fees. Regarding only a $50 spread between entry bid and BIN, it is not unusual for a skilled seller to do this. I have seen only a dollar spread between the two figures. It is my understanding that powersellers get a better discount on a regular auction. Also a BIN close to the initial bid, might entice a shopper to consider that with a reasonable spread it would be worth their effort to spend a little extra and make sure its theirs. Seller gets to turn over their investment days sooner. A Win-Win for both. But, I can tell you, that this seller is one that does NOT respond well to the last minute scalpers that wait until close to end of auction to email a low-ball offer. I confess I may have been somewhat... ah... abbrasive... on some responses.

You will see higher entry bids now that ebay is changing policy in October. Sellers, especially your smaller and mid-size sellers will be paying higher insertion fees, as well as final value fees. And transactions will be mandatory electronic fund payment types, meaning a seller will have no choice but to pay PayPal or other credit cards a transaction fee. This will most likely be the death of the .99 open bid.

I agree there are some price-gouging sellers out there. And don't get me started on the frauds that sell fake junk. But, before you make a low-ball offer, check that sellers inventory. If they have a wide variety of stuff, no two alike, and none of it fits into duplicate categories, odds are that it is someone buying at yard sales and selling on the Bay to make ends meet. For every make-an-easy-buck seller there are three single-mother-of-two watching every penny profit just to pay her bills with a SAH job. Evaluate just how important the low offer is to you.

Oh, and one more thing, don't try to talk the seller down by criticizing the item or by telling them about "such and such that sold for only so much". The seller doesn't care if another, more desparate seller sold the same handbag for $25. That was that other seller's choice. Don't email an offer just hours from closing at 25% of opening bid AND want free shipping also - and then be surprised at a not-so-polite response. An eBay store is not a B&M store. They have not keystoned (doubled) the price above what they paid for it. The profit margin on most ebay transactions is quite small. True, overhead is low. But the time servicing a listing well is not.

Carolina59

Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for your response, RealMcCoy. This seller is a tPFer who sells her older bags to pay for new ones, not at all uncommon, and I have no problem with that. I think it's priced a little high for how used it is, and I think she was counting on the live.com 25% which has now dwindled to 8%. I am not going to lowball her; I'd just like to pay $25-50 less than the starting bid price. I will take your advice and not wait until the last minute. It's always a risk and maybe I won't get the bag. I figure I always have to be willing to lose out.

Appreciate hearing your perspective from the seller's side though.:yes:

peppy

O.G.
Oct 4, 2006
You will need to click on "Ask a question about this item" and send them your offer in a message. Be aware, they will not be able to negotiate and do the sale with you through the message system. Ebay does not allow transaction agreements outside the listing window. If they are informed sellers, working within eBay polocy, they have two options. They can revise their listing with the lower entry price (the one you offered) and submit that. That makes the same lower price available to everyone. Or, if they are feeling generous, they may revise it to a BIN (Buy It Now) or Make Best Offer - and deal only with you.

As a seller, I would lean to the first, go with the lower price and yet keep my options open and hope that someone else will bid higher than you, but know I have at least one bid to offset insertion fees. Regarding only a $50 spread between entry bid and BIN, it is not unusual for a skilled seller to do this. I have seen only a dollar spread between the two figures. It is my understanding that powersellers get a better discount on a regular auction. Also a BIN close to the initial bid, might entice a shopper to consider that with a reasonable spread it would be worth their effort to spend a little extra and make sure its theirs. Seller gets to turn over their investment days sooner. A Win-Win for both. But, I can tell you, that this seller is one that does NOT respond well to the last minute scalpers that wait until close to end of auction to email a low-ball offer. I confess I may have been somewhat... ah... abbrasive... on some responses.

You will see higher entry bids now that ebay is changing policy in October. Sellers, especially your smaller and mid-size sellers will be paying higher insertion fees, as well as final value fees. And transactions will be mandatory electronic fund payment types, meaning a seller will have no choice but to pay PayPal or other credit cards a transaction fee. This will most likely be the death of the .99 open bid.

I agree there are some price-gouging sellers out there. And don't get me started on the frauds that sell fake junk. But, before you make a low-ball offer, check that sellers inventory. If they have a wide variety of stuff, no two alike, and none of it fits into duplicate categories, odds are that it is someone buying at yard sales and selling on the Bay to make ends meet. For every make-an-easy-buck seller there are three single-mother-of-two watching every penny profit just to pay her bills with a SAH job. Evaluate just how important the low offer is to you.

Oh, and one more thing, don't try to talk the seller down by criticizing the item or by telling them about "such and such that sold for only so much". The seller doesn't care if another, more desparate seller sold the same handbag for $25. That was that other seller's choice. Don't email an offer just hours from closing at 25% of opening bid AND want free shipping also - and then be surprised at a not-so-polite response. An eBay store is not a B&M store. They have not keystoned (doubled) the price above what they paid for it. The profit margin on most ebay transactions is quite small. True, overhead is low. But the time servicing a listing well is not.

Sidetracking here, but....Pretty well said! I know some people out there will disagree, but :tup: for me. Although I just ignore the really rude messages from buyers who think $200 is more than justified for a $800 auction, it's better for my heart not to reply. :P