Can I interest you in a pit bull with that?

tiggycat

Jul 29, 2009
I know many of you grew up with designer bags as the norm, but for those who didn't - do you ever worry about your personal safety when carrying a high end bag?

I need to lose a lot of weight and I told my husband that as incentive I was promising myself a real designer bag (LV or such) when I reach my first goal of getting out of the obese range.

This is a man who can't understand why anyone would pay over $50 for a bag or need more than one at a time - but he doesn't tell me I can't have them, we each have an allowance that's ours to do with what we please.

Anyway, he said "I hope you're getting a guard dog to go with it - remember the celebrities who carry those kind of bags have chauffeurs and bodyguards!"

We live in a very nice area and I work in a very nice area (although I do ride the subway to work).

I've been lurking here for a while before starting to post and I've never seen anyone mention this, and I'm sure you all can't be multi-millionaires or movie stars with your own security staff.

Is this a realistic worry?

Well, tiggycat, the only thing I can say about this is that a woman should always be aware of her surroundings. I truly believe that I keep my eye out when walking through a parking lot, and I have my keys through my fingers and before I enter my car I always look around first. I don't think this is paranoid behavior because it isn't like I am scared to go anywhere, but I truly believe a woman has to watch her step. I always keep my bag close to me. We've had some purse snatchings in the Ft Myers area that have been reported, so this just drives home this behavior for me. You just have to be aware of what is happening around you. Cheap bag or not.

I love the original question! But I don't worry about it, unless I am somewhere I would worry about my safety anyway. We are pretty savvy here on the forum about designers, but the general population has no idea. Just enjoy your journey.

I wouldn't worry too much. Most purse snatchers want what is in the bag, not the bag itself. Purse theft is usually a crime of opportunity and I doubt they scout out who has the most expensive bag to steal.

I agree with Compass Rose. Be aware of your surroundings at all times regardless if you have a designer bag or a bag from Kmart. Also be aware everywhere in "nice" areas and "not so nice" areas. As women we have to be aware at all times. I also agree with the others about purse snatching. Purse Snatching is about getting the items in the bag not the bag itself.

If possible, keep your head up and look as tall, strong and confident as possible - apparently, they're less likely to attack someone who looks as though she knows what's going on around her and will put up a fight. :yes:

I know of someone who was taking the subway and had a LV shopping bag ripped out of her hands - luckily for her, and not so luckily for the robber, the contents of the bag was an empty lunch box !

I have never heard of another snatching though, and I live in a sketchier area too ! Maybe everyone just assumes my bags are fake ? :P

It's never been a problem for me. My my mom gets paranoid easily and carries pepper spray in her bag and she makes me, too. I don't do it, though, because someone is going to steal my purse. I do it in case someone is following me or something. I've also noticed from my own experiences, and from people telling me things that happened to them, you usually don't get robbed for your purse you usually get robbed if the person thinks or sees you have money in it.

if you think that someone will rob your bag then it 'will' happen. Don't worry and be confident and always look around you. If you really dont feel safe carrying LV then dont wear until you are with someone, a friend or your husband that way no one will get near.
this is what I do if I want to carry one of my expensive bags, I take them with me only when I am going out with others, not just me alone.

Thanks everyone - actually my husband does believe in buying quality that lasts in the things he values, I just realized the Seiko watch he bought me probably cost more than the bag I'd buy (I'm thinking of a Speedy 25 not monogram, so as ladakini said, the general population probably wouldn't realize anyway). If they want the contents they will be disappointed, I usually carry under $30 cash just for fast food and magazines because I have a cash-back credit card that I try to use for everything else.

I think being a female is enough of a target already. Some unless it's plastered with logos then I don't think many attackers would even recognize the bag. They just see a woman oblivious of her surroundings, her purse, and an opportunity. So look confident and aware. Carry pepperspray if you want. Make sure it's easy accessible.. I see way too many women that carry pepperspray but in their MAKEUP BAGS.

If they want the contents they will be disappointed

That's what I always say. I hardly carry anything over $20 since I use my debit card. My 2 debit cards are the only thing with money on it. And even then, that money can be replaced.

My bags are desinger but few have logos on them. However, I don't think that makes a difference. I agree w/ the previous posters that you have to be aware of your sorroundings and exercise some common sense. I've written subways and have been in sketchy areas and if I'm in any fear, it's because it's just an overall sketchy area and I pretty much get my business done and high tail out of there.

If possible, keep your head up and look as tall, strong and confident as possible - apparently, they're less likely to attack someone who looks as though she knows what's going on around her and will put up a fight. :yes:

I agree. Don't look like a victim. I read that somewhere a long time ago. Also, as everyone else said, be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Great thread title! Just remember - thieves want your valuables, not your handbag. I say this having been the victim of an attempted robbery earlier this year. I was carrying a Balenciaga City in town when a boy who couldn't have been more than twelve ran up and tried to swipe it. He didn't succeed and ran off empty-handed. I know though that I just wasn't paying attention to my surroundings and was daydreaming. A woman must be alert, regardless of which bag she is carrying.