Can I handwash this bag?

swags

O.G.
Nov 23, 2008
I purchased this bag on ebay. The bag is in great condition except for a cigarette smoke smell. I did research the forum on this subject and was able to get a lot of the smell out. The only thing is I want it washed now. I want it to know it is clean. The lining has no dirt whatsoever on it.

Attachments

• Wine patent chelsea.jpg
    Wine patent chelsea.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 509
If you do decide, I suggest you put it in some lingerie bag type and delicate cycle. But if at all possible probably just hand wash the lining since you're able to pull that out and wipe clean the patent. Good luck in which you go and do.

I wash a lot of bags but I wouldn't do anything that would put stress on the patent, like putting it in a washing machine. You can pull the lining out and wash it. Water won't hurt the patent. You can clean the exterior with a mild spray cleaner. Don't use alcohol or acetone as it might hurt the patent.

Thanks! right now I'm inclined not to dunk the bag. I have had coach patent get drenched in rain and it came out fine. Not sure I want to totally saturate it though. I have cleaned the interior and put some dryer sheets inside. I may try the citrus magic that some of the forum members recommend.

Thanks! right now I'm inclined not to dunk the bag. I have had coach patent get drenched in rain and it came out fine. Not sure I want to totally saturate it though. I have cleaned the interior and put some dryer sheets inside. I may try the citrus magic that some of the forum members recommend.

I rehabed an intensely smokey bag once and after washing the lining by hand I did charcoal filled socks for a while then I stored it with dryer sheets. I think the dryer sheets really did the trick for any lingering odors.

I rehabed an intensely smokey bag once and after washing the lining by hand I did charcoal filled socks for a while then I stored it with dryer sheets. I think the dryer sheets really did the trick for any lingering odors.
I ended up washing the lining by hand and its in front of a fan now. Hoping that does the trick.

The bag came out good. Right now I can't smell any smoke. I used some citrus magic before washing it and I can still smell that a little. The patent looks good.

I am irritated with the seller. She said it was a smoke free home but that some of her items may have been exposed to smoke. Being exposed to smoke on occasion does not leave the bag with a serious reek of smoke.

The bag came out good. Right now I can't smell any smoke. I used some citrus magic before washing it and I can still smell that a little. The patent looks good.

I am irritated with the seller. She said it was a smoke free home but that some of her items may have been exposed to smoke. Being exposed to smoke on occasion does not leave the bag with a serious reek of smoke.
One thing that I would suggest is letting the seller know that you had to deal with the odor.

Also, I discovered online that you can use upholstery cleaner on the lining of a bag (and on the fabric bags exterior as well) to deep-clean without much water. You spray it, let it set, then wipe off the residue and rinse it, so there's less water involved and less chance of fading.

One thing that I would suggest is letting the seller know that you had to deal with the odor.

Also, I discovered online that you can use upholstery cleaner on the lining of a bag (and on the fabric bags exterior as well) to deep-clean without much water. You spray it, let it set, then wipe off the residue and rinse it, so there's less water involved and less chance of fading.

Thanks for the tip regarding upholstery cleaner.

I did contact the seller, she hasn't responded other than to leave me positive feedback. She really should have said the bag smelled instead of the sneaky way she covered her butt or should I say cigarette butts.

How frustrating! Glad to know that you were able to get the smell out.

I bought a Carly on eBay that had been Febrezed to death. I washed the lining with baby shampoo and it still smelled. What finally worked was airing it outside for 4-5 hours in 50/60-degree weather, of all things!

I think I'm on the other side of the smell. I have it front of the fan again because I want to be sure it dries completely.
The arm and hammer dryer sheets are nice. They have a lighter fragrance than snuggle or bounce.