Can I hand wash wool sweater?

nannity

Apr 23, 2007
I just bought a wool sweater and it said 'dry-clean only'. But I notice a lot of clothes from this store (Anthropologie) always have the 'dry-clean only' and I just hand wash them anyway. So would it shrink if i hand wash it?

hmmm... I don't think it'll shrink, but maybe stretch if you hang it along it's "vertical axis". As long as it's not too dirty, I think it's fine to just gently dip it warm water, pat some of the dirty spots like the underarms and front of the shirt. I'm no expert though, so if you're still worried, it's still best to bring it to the dry cleaners:yes:

I agree with Cec when she said to take it to the cleaners.

Your sweater will definitely shrink if you wash it. If you are feeling brave, you can wash it by hand in COLD water. Put it on a net to dry - never the dryer, even if you use the "air" setting.

You can freshen the sweater between dry cleaning by spraying with Febreeze antimicrobial.

You can hand wash in cold water. The part where you have to especially careful, though, is the drying. Do not dry on a hanger. Lay flat to dry, on top of a towel on a working dryer to help gently heat the fabric to dry. If you're extra nervous and set on washing at home, I'd try this method with another item of clothing first, in case there are any kinks in the method.