Can I freshen up red hair color at home?

akillian24

Flap Happy
Aug 16, 2008
My stylist took me red about 5 months ago, and although I like the color, it fades rather quickly to more of a brown. Is it possible to freshen in between 8-week visits with something at home? If so, what? Any suggestions on brand? Should I use semi-permanent?

Here is a picture of my red, as well as a picture of my hair closer to its normal hue. Actually, DD's hair color is my color naturally.

Attachments

• redhair.jpg
    redhair.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 681
  • blondehair.jpg
    blondehair.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 653
I think that places like Sally's or Ulta sells color booster glazes that only deposit color to your hair to maintain your original salon color longer. It's hard with red hair because it does fade super quickly.

You might also have to consider washing your hair less often or doing a conditioner rinse more often instead of a full shampoo to keep the color vibrant.

Red is so hard to maintain, but so worth it! Aveda's Madder Root shampoo and conditioner are great. The conditioner is very pigmented and deposits a lot of color so you have to be careful. It also tends towards a pinkish red. Smells amazing. I sometimes mix it with aveda's brown conditioner to tone it down a little and always dilute with regular conditioner. Like I said, very pigmented. More recently I've been liking Davines' red conditioner too, copper something? Better since it has more copper than pink tones. It smells sort of icky and comes in an awkward glass jar but it does a nice job. I also dilute it with regular conditioner and leave it on for 5-10 minutes.