Can I dye vegetable tanned leather ?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi,

I want to buy the muratori bag in cream but I know for a fact that it will eventually get ruined and dirty.

I just want to know if I can send it in to a bag repair shop to be dyed considering it was vegetable tanned.

I am thinking in a year or two I want to dye it lilac or caramel dependending how dirty it gets :smile:

I am a bit concerned that normal dye will harden the leather.

Does it matter that it was previously vegetable tanned ?

This bag will have a matte finish.

I am not interested in doing it myself atm and would rather just pay to get it done.

Thanks !

2. Vegetable leather is the most natural one. LV vachetta (vache végétal naturel) and Hermès Vache Naturel are vegetable tanned leathers. I have read it's easy to dye these (here is one dye project, search for "Hard Rock restoration" in the Hermès forum).

3. well, I can recommend at least a Muratoir...I bought one in camel and I love it:smile: Good luck. Never heard of dying though...pretty cool!

4. So did you get it?????????????????????????????