Can I do THAT ???

Sunnbuzz

O.G.
Oct 14, 2009
I'm so sick of being over charged for shipping it's not the amount it's the principle. My last seller told me she could only use one type of service which was not the one I wanted, and that is fine I know its the Sellers choice to use what they are comfortable with
THEN; when I receive the item they have actually used the type of shipping they said they would not. Twice last month I was given shipping totals that are 300 -600 percent more than they actually were.
I sent a nice email to the last Seller twice, saying she could keep up to half of the shipping money I sent her (including the actual cost of shipping) and refund the other half to me or donate it to an animal shelter. It is NOT the amount that upsets me, because the over charge is less than $10 IT IS THE POINT. She has ignored both my emails

Can I send her an email saying ? If you do not wish to redeem yourself and donate half of the over payment in the next 48 hours I will have to leave you negative feedback regarding you over charging on shipping.

I think that's sort of blackmailing. Other people will chime in, but I wouldn't exactly word it that way... otherwise I think it could be called feedback extortion because you're threatening her.

I would have to agree that if you want to leave a neg, leave one. It's certainly warranted. However, I would suggest not threatening the seller with it if he/she doesn't refund a portion of the shipping charges. While it might not be your intent, that is feedback extortion and is against eBay policy. Just leave the neg or a neutral. It might make the seller reconsider inflating shipping charges for future sales.

If you were happy with the item, i'd leave a neutral, and like mentioned above, do not threaten her, it's classed as feedback extortion and can get you into schtuk if she reports you.
Surely when you bid/BIN you would have seen the shipping charges ? you would have been agreeing to these when you bid .

How about ;

'I'll give you 48 hours to decide whether you wish to refund your inflated shipping charges or donate it to chairity and then I can make an accurate assessment when leaving your feedback ''
I was thinking that my first email fell close to the violating eBay’s TOS that's why I asked for your guys opinion first

Would that be better, this way I'm not saying what type of feedback I'm leaving or that I will not leave feedback. I told the seller I was very happy with my purchase, ironically the item came very quickly for regular first class mail AND that I would purchase from her many more times if she would be willing to be reasonable with the shipping charges. I do not expect her to charge actual shipping (although it would be nice and I do -lol)

Thanks for replying, more feedback would be great on this
I wish buyers could put a claim against inflated shipping charges & they could be held by Paypal until the claim was resolved OR ebay should make a rule not a guideline about shipping prices.

Haven't you seen the shipping cost before bidding? Some sellers try to cover their fees by overchanging for shipping, but some are too lazy to determine the actual shipping cost and just give an estimate. You are free to leave any feedback you want but I feel a negative for less than $10 is too much. ;)

Surely when you bid/BIN you would have seen the shipping charges ? you would have been agreeing to these when you bid .

She did not list the price of shipping or type on her auction for CDN bidders. I had won another item that was almost the same thing from another Seller and the shipping charge for that item was very simillar to the shipping quote she sent me via email (although I never recieved the first item so I cannot say for sure what actual shipping was ;) I asked before I bid. However I would have no idea how much the actual shipping would be as I'm in Canada and she is in the US and it's hard to guess the weight and size of the completed package.

I always ask for a shipping quote before I bid because I find most Sellers only offer Express shipping and I am one of the few eBayers that is NOT in a hurry to get their item -lol. I also find that only 50 percent bother to reply to my questions even when they say "Internation bidders please email me for shipping quote" - does it happen to you too ?

Last edited:
Yes, being overcharged for shipping is no fun, several times I have been charged more for shipping than the actual amount I've paid for an item (not just cheap 1 dollar items either).

It just seems like this seller is wanting a few extra bucks at your expense. Just leave them negative feedback and don't deal with them anymore. You've already tried contacting them more than once, they don't wanna reply, so I doubt sending an e-mail about leaving negative feedback will get their attention.

What might work, is send an e-mail with the subject title "NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!!!!!!!!" and ask for your shipping refund without mention of leaving negative feedback. I've done that in the past and it sure as hell gets some people's attention rather quickly.

Good luck with your seller,

Ian

How about ;

'I'll give you 48 hours to decide whether you wish to refund your inflated shipping charges or donate it to chairity and then I can make an accurate assessment when leaving your feedback ''
I was thinking that my first email fell close to the violating eBay’s TOS that's why I asked for your guys opinion first

Would that be better, this way I'm not saying what type of feedback I'm leaving or that I will not leave feedback. I told the seller I was very happy with my purchase, ironically the item came very quickly for regular first class mail AND that I would purchase from her many more times if she would be willing to be reasonable with the shipping charges. I do not expect her to charge actual shipping (although it would be nice and I do -lol)

Thanks for replying, more feedback would be great on this
I wish buyers could put a claim against inflated shipping charges & they could be held by Paypal until the claim was resolved OR ebay should make a rule not a guideline about shipping prices.

IMO that sounds even more threatening ! i wouldn't mention shipping and feedback in the same sentence.

How much did you win the item for? Was it a good deal? Was it as described? Was it packaged well and did it arrive quickly and safely?

I know that, technically, sellers aren't supposed to profit on shipping, but if they are only making a very small profit, or breaking even, or making a loss on the item and they have packaged well and shipped quickly, I would never leave a neg, personally (or ask for a refund), just because they have made a little money on shipping. :nogood:

Also, the shipping fee isn't just to cover the shipping cost, alone, of course; it's also to cover packaging and handling costs etc..

However, ITA that she shouldn't have misled you regarding the method of shipping she would use, as that is just dishonest.

I would suggest that if you do leave her a neg, or a neutral, leave it on the basis of her dishonesty; not on the basis that she made a few dollars on shipping.

ETA: I see that the item did arrive quickly and safely and that you are happy with it. :smile:

Last edited:
I wouldn't go with the "NEGATIVE FEEDBACK !!!!!!" suggestion either.:amuse:

LOL, ok the next Seller that over charges me on shipping or promises that they are using the more expensive shipping service and does not, I will just file with Paypal and not even ask them why they did it. I started thinking that this person obviously could not care less or they would have contacted me to say I over charged you here is the extra money (or some of it), why would I think she had any consideration for people (or animals) and want to give it to charity.
I use to return over shipping the odd time I quoted wrong, but then again I also use to give a refund of partial shipping if I took a few days longer to ship than I said. Years ago everyone seemed more relaxed and patient with the buying and Selling.
Thanks everyone, I'll make a donation to an animal shelter myself and forget I ever purchased from her, I cannot be the first one she has done this too and I will not be the last, I'm sure she will make her own misfortune (negatives) in regards to excessive shipping costs.

How much did you win the item for? Was it a good deal? Was it packaged well and did it arrive quickly and safely?

I know that, technically, sellers aren't supposed to profit on shipping, but if they are only making a small profit, or breaking even, or making a loss on the item and they have packaged well and shipped quickly, I would never leave a neg, personally (or ask for a refund), just because they have made a little money on shipping. :nogood:

Also, the shipping fee isn't just to cover the shipping cost, alone, of course; it's also to cover packaging and handling costs etc..

However, ITA that she shouldn't have misled you regarding the method of shipping she would use, as that is just dishonest.

I would suggest that if you do leave her a neg, or a neutral, leave it on the basis of her dishonesty; not on the basis that she made a few dollars on shipping.

Thank you,
You said that very nicely and made a lot of good points (expect the profiting from shipping bit ;) ) It's like going to the store and paying extra just because (cannot think of a good reason) If this seller profits from every purchase on shipping, she will make a hundred dollars every 10 purchases.
This is NOT directed at you; I do not make much money, I struggle to pay my bills & my fiancé gave me a little money to buy a B-day present 9it was actually a big deal). I count my dollars because I do not have many and probably still would if I had a lot too !! If a seller wanted to make extra money then she should have added it to the 'buy it now' price. I think if people are dishonest at one thing, they are probably dishonest at another. So I do not think she deserves extra money on top of the cost. Bear in mind I was only asking for 50 percent refund too, for charity. I thought I was being reasonable.

In regards to her none existent packaging........... She stuck the item in a regular envelope (not padded), printed the label off stamps.com and stuck it in a mail box. As for bubble wrap there was none in there, maybe it all popped on the way -LOL
Once again you made some very good points especially about leaving a negative on account of a Seller being dishonest.

Last edited: