Can I buy Python handbag from ebay and have it shipped to California?

Dec 24, 2012
Hi,
I found this very nice Python bag on eBay. It says %100 real Python. I don't care that it's real, I just like the bag. The problem is I live in California and the sellers are in Switzerland and Italy. Can they ship the bag to me? Is it illegal?

Hi,
I found this very nice Python bag on eBay. It says %100 real Python. I don't care that it's real, I just like the bag. The problem is I live in California and the sellers are in Switzerland and Italy. Can they ship the bag to me? Is it illegal?

That's a tough one...

I wanted to buy a pair of Louboutins from Vestiaire that were going to ship from Italy, they were "water-snake" and they could NOT be shipped internationally.. :sad:

I would try Google, if it were me but perhaps somebody here will know for certain..

This link is interesting but doesn't cover international..
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/03/19/style/banned-in-california-this-season-s-snakeskin.html

Here's the actual law.. It seems it covers commercial purposes or intent to sell. I don't see private use covered. It might be ok but I would be terrified it would get snatched by customs..
https://www.animallaw.info/statute/ca-importation-chapter-2-other-and-miscellaneous-offenses-653o-653r

Admittedly, I don't know first hand so I hope somebody else, perhaps that's tried/done it will weigh in..

Last edited:
I've often wondered about this myself. If you bought it from someone in the US, it wouldn't go through customs. If you buy it internationally, there is a chance it will be stopped by customs.

But I don't bring it into this state for commercial purposes, but personal use. Also, I don't intend to sell it. I read about one lady here who bought a pair of Python heels from ebay. She also lives in CA. I don't remember the details and if they apply to me or not.

But I don't bring it into this state for commercial purposes, but personal use. Also, I don't intend to sell it. I read about one lady here who bought a pair of Python heels from ebay. She also lives in CA. I don't remember the details and if they apply to me or not.

But it's being sold, which is an act of commerce, making the item a commercial object.

OP, personally would not take a chance with customs. Your seller will have to
declare (customs delcaration)what is inside the package & a value as well.
Any kind of exotic skin will likely have some duty & should the package be
opened, you'll be out of luck, IYKWIM

Why risk it? It's a 50/50 crap shoot, but if the item is confiscated, you'll be
out the money.. & that would not make you too happy especially if forewarned...

Hi,

do you have a relative that lives in another state in the USA?

You could have the bag shipped to them by putting their address in
your Paypal...

Then, when it arrives, have the relative check it over... make sure
it is in the condition you want.
Then, have that relative ship it to you from within the USA... No Customs checking for cross state packages... :smile:

do you have a relative that lives in another state in the USA?

You could have the bag shipped to them by putting their address in
your Paypal...

Then, when it arrives, have the relative check it over... make sure
it is in the condition you want.
Then, have that relative ship it to you from within the USA... No Customs checking for cross state packages... :smile:

It is not only a customs issue. It's illegal to send it for commercial purposes even interstate. Maybe if it's sent as a gift it might work--unless an investigator would discover that the sender had actually been paid for it by the receiver, so that it clearly wasn't a gift. Not a slam dunk method is the point.

Last edited:
Fashionphile accepted my python Miss Dior bag (I was sending from DC to CA). This was before I found out that it was illegal to sell/ship python in/to California. I was surprised to find out later that they could/would do that. I don't think the law exempts businesses (I know LV can't ship or sell python either to California). Sneaky, sneaky.

Fashionphile accepted my python Miss Dior bag (I was sending from DC to CA). This was before I found out that it was illegal to sell/ship python in/to California. I was surprised to find out later that they could/would do that. I don't think the law exempts businesses (I know LV can't ship or sell python either to California). Sneaky, sneaky.
One time at a Celine boutique, the SA said they would ship python to me even after I reminded her it was illegal. I didn't want to buy from her then. I didn't even know it was illegal until an SA at a different brand told me I couldn't get a python bag shipped to my home.